Sponsored by:

Your neighborhood.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 12:44 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
My neighborhood is just a complete mismatch for me. It's 2/3 older people who bought their houses decades ago for nothing and now contribute nothing in property taxes to schools or anything else in the area. Their cars are parked when l leave for work and parked when I come back even when I work half a day - they do not work. They drive 15 mph and straddle the median in blind turns. I trained some to pull over and let me pass when i'm behind them, but those are few. It's not their fault that the main local road was poorly designed and has no places to pass for miles or that local property tax laws make no sense, so I just take a deep breath when our paths cross.

The other part is mostly high income professionals, but for some reason most are not of the type I can connect with. I just do not get people who walk their man-purse size dogs in the middle of the only road leading to the neighbourhood and make everyone endanger themselves driving around them (it's a hilly area with narrow twisty roads). One called me an ******* out of the blue for washing my car in a drought (it was almost a year ago, before the drought was so bad). Of course I told him that I use only 2 buckets of water total for no-rinse wash and he would use 4 times as much for his shower after riding his bike, but he chose to reject the information (his big lawn is watered several times a day on timer). Another waved me to slow down when I was going 25 mph uphill only to pass me on his bike going much faster downhill. In general, most of the younger crowd here are so self-entitled and obnoxious that I much prefer older people, even though they sometimes triple my commute time by driving 10-15 mph.

The younger group's kids, usually mid to older teens, are fascinated with my cars and often ask me to wash them for free or help me change wheels or just watch when I do some car work, but I never agree to anything more than them watching from across the road because I'm concerned their obnoxious parents are going to sue me or something.

There are few guys with nice cars, but I cannot track them down. One drives a nice speciale, and once he gave me thumbs up when I was driving by. I reciprocated but forgot my window was up, so I ended up inadvertently punching the window and making a scary face because I was in pain. I guess he misinterpreted that because now he avoids eye contact. True story

All this is weird to me, because back in Canada I got used to neighbours shoveling each other's driveways and taking trash bins out for no reason other than having time to do it and being genuine and nice in general. I'm thinking about moving to Marin (or to Vancouver, job permitting).
You realize that san fran and many areas of california don't even closely represent the rest of this country right?
Old 03-22-2015, 01:52 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My neighborhood is very different. Only 25% of the homes are occupied full time. The ones that are full time are wonderful. They always joke with me about the cars. All of them offer to help when we've needed them in the past, and they always look out for our house/ pets when we travel.

Unfortunately on weekends and holidays, the other 75% are from the SF Bay Area. Now, I don't want to generalize, because many of them are very nice and respectful, but the few bad apples are, as stated above, are self entitled ******. They definitely have a reputation up here in the Tahoe area. It is amazing how so few can give a beautiful region such a bad name. I have several clients from SF, and they are wonderful, caring folks. They also cringe at the stereotype, but completely understand.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:52 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
You realize that san fran and many areas of california don't even closely represent the rest of this country right?
Of course I do. I lived in several other places in the US, and all are very different. I was not implying that all of the US is like that. I'm sure even another neighbourhood in Bay Area would be different.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:09 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

My old neighborhood, one nieghbor asked "how I could live in the hood and afford the cars". I just laughed. My house now is private no one knows what I have.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:11 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u will be put into my list of BAD ppl
I really appreciate your presence on this forum. You have made me laugh countless times.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

^ i try my best for you!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:48 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Cayman R, Cayenne, and a few std Carreras on my street.. Some are entertaining to watch as they crab their ways into garages, crazy entry/exit rituals. Most are long time owners, I'm probably one of few rentals.. I'm definitely the last arrival, dumbass paying the outrageous rent but making sure to keep it friendly and helpful with neighbors. hard to get to know the neighbors despite shared gearhead passion. Big variety of incomes.. House across the street for sale for $16M, Prius comes in and out of the garage with a full-on aging hippy couple in it .. Typical SF... Meaning completely atypical for almost anywhere else. I love every second of it... No one likes my collection of Ducatis shoved into every possible corner of the garage... Friendliest neighbors are the tourists walking up the street from the cruise ships...
Old 03-23-2015, 10:55 AM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

My neighborhood is upscale in the DFW area, we have about 70 houses, and the cars range from a Maybach(!) to an Aventador, so while I have the biggest collection, there are some high dollar rides around. I do have one funny neighbor who I swear copies me. Bought my first Cayenne, a GTS, he sold his wife's Land Rover and bought a Cayenne. I got a 430, he sold his Audi, got a 430. I sold my 430 got a gt3, guess what I saw in his driveway last week? Yup, same color as mine.

I guess imitation and all that, but it is a little weird.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:52 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
My neighborhood is upscale in the DFW area, we have about 70 houses, and the cars range from a Maybach(!) to an Aventador, so while I have the biggest collection, there are some high dollar rides around. I do have one funny neighbor who I swear copies me. Bought my first Cayenne, a GTS, he sold his wife's Land Rover and bought a Cayenne. I got a 430, he sold his Audi, got a 430. I sold my 430 got a gt3, guess what I saw in his driveway last week? Yup, same color as mine.

I guess imitation and all that, but it is a little weird.

Be careful he doesn't wink at you.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:08 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Plot twist, neighbor is on rennlist.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Lol
Old 03-23-2015, 11:28 PM
GT176
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a stalker
Old 03-23-2015, 11:56 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Plot twist, neighbor is on rennlist.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:30 AM
loopsandsounds
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your neighborhood.....

I live in the country. My neighbors aren't close enough to know what's in the garage. I like it this way.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:34 PM
aznkuja328
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are a few 458, a lp700, 5 other lp, more than 5 991, more than 15 panamera, and more than 15 cayenne in the apartment complex. I have a Macan s which one of the 3 macans in the garage and a gt3. the gt3, however, is the only one in the garage but the other 991 in the garage makes my car looks like a 991s with aero. nothing really special, and I have been interrogated by the security a few times while I was checking and playing with the tire pressure, front lip, cleaning up the carpet. people just never remember my face and think that those aren't my cars. I like it this way though, and it makes me feel secured.

Quick Reply: Your neighborhood.....