Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has a 458 alongside their 991 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015 | 03:06 PM
Napoli
Racer

Originally Posted by aamersa
Porsche is the gateway drug to ferrari......
In my case, the opposite is true. And, it's hard to imagine ever going back.
Old 02-13-2015 | 03:18 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Most people around my area dont understand it, I am a poor, ordinary, workaholic man that loves cars.

Before I love watches, now cars, people change. Maybe later I would love playing with ******.
Old 02-13-2015 | 03:26 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coincident
There are many parallels between cars and the business I am in which is high end audio. There are audiophiles who love the hardware, love talking about it and constantly buy and sell. They often do not even listen to music. Then there are others who enjoy the components but see them as the conduit to the enhancement of musical involvement and enjoyment. In other words, while being fascinated by the hardware, they acknowledge that the components exist to serve the music.Unlike many exotic car buyers,very few audiophiles purchase expensive gear to impress their friends or elevate their social status since the general public could careless about expensive audio gear and unlike a car, almost nobody gets to see them.

Car lovers seem to fall in these categories as well. There are those who love chatting about cars, buying and selling but rarely ever drive them. Then are those others who love everything about cars but the supreme thrill is always getting behind the wheel. For me, I fall into the latter group. There is nothing (well almost nothing) like the rush and thrill that comes from driving a great car.
I am an audiophile and also a car nut. They are my true passions (well I should say jazz music and cars are - I am into hi fi gear but as a means to produce facsimiles of live musical performances in my home).

What you say rings true. I would guess a solid 1/3 to 1/2 of all enthusiasts in these fields are into the equipment/hardware as end in themselves rather than extracting the joy of actually using them. So many audiophiles will sit there for hours A/B-ing gear listening to one small piece of music... that is their idea of loving music. Similarly many so called car lovers (owning P- and F- cars) like the idea of owning these cars and looking at them and showing off to their friends for ego gratification and just drive them to the mall or their local restaurant. A prime example are performance car owners in Hong Kong. You can't get a sports car out of 2nd gear in all of Hong Kong. Yet there are so so many performance cars there.

Last edited by golfnutintib; 02-13-2015 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-13-2015 | 03:37 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grendel88
I love cars. I own my business. I have a GT3. I want a Ferrari. BUT, owning and driving one easily gets you stereotyped very quickly. If you are in twenties, spoiled trust fund or tech brat. If you are in your thirties, you are spending way too much money to try hard. If you are in your forties like me, mid-life crisis. Hardly anyone thinks the people that buy Ferraris just love cars. There is too much baggage. So as much as I want one and would like not to care what image I project, it is a really, really rough decision to make considering the money involved. I mean seriously, I love Michelin star restaurants and McDonalds, would suck to have a car that I can't take to both.
Grendel I agree with a lot that you say.

Only thing I'd debate is the thing about what others think. Life is so short and fragile. F--k what other people think. Enjoy the best things in life (responsibly). I almost bought a Ferrari last month. I have my P cars, a Mac 12C and new C7 Z06. We love cars, each is a unique driving experience. Some are better at some things, others at others. Each is a thrill. I have driven several 458's and certainly will get one before long, it is a truly special car that makes you tingle when seeing it, driving it. It is not a Porsche -- it offers a different set of qualities. But it is one of the greatest driving experiences EVER. No one can debate that.

We do things for others in our lives (family, community, employees, society, etc etc) and we do things for ourselves. If we can afford it we should not be shy to enjoy.

Last edited by golfnutintib; 02-13-2015 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-13-2015 | 03:39 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

The problem with the over $150K price range--new or used--is the mix of income classes able to afford those cars at that point. When you start getting into that upper range of cars, yes I know collectibles and hypercars easily play in the $1MM zone, the money becomes a weird thing. These cars are all ridiculous toys we can all agree. Some people will spend most of their income on these toys because they are fans, some people have the income that makes spending $250K on a car like buying a Jetta for most.

Not everyone buys a Ferrari because they love cars. I think most everyone on Fchat love cars, but there is a general arrogance there, mostly associated to Type A personalities, level of income, level of success AND the brand pushing itself as exclusive.

I love cars. I own my business. I have a GT3. I want a Ferrari. BUT, owning and driving one easily gets you stereotyped very quickly. If you are in twenties, spoiled trust fund or tech brat. If you are in your thirties, you are spending way too much money to try hard. If you are in your forties like me, mid-life crisis. Hardly anyone thinks the people that buy Ferraris just love cars. There is too much baggage. So as much as I want one and would like not to care what image I project, it is a really, really rough decision to make considering the money involved. I mean seriously, I love Michelin star restaurants and McDonalds, would suck to have a car that I can't take to both.

While I hear that, there needs to come a time in one's life, were you just don't give a **** about how others perceive you and you buy and experience what YOU want and not allow others to dedicate this process.
Old 02-13-2015 | 03:49 PM
markow
Racer

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
While I hear that, there needs to come a time in one's life, were you just don't give a **** about how others perceive you and you buy and experience what YOU want and not allow others to dedicate this process.
so right.
peter
Old 02-13-2015 | 04:00 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Originally Posted by markow
so right.
peter
It's just a lot to think about when it is an outlet for fun. Worrying about parking it at a shopping mall parking lot so you can get a Starbucks. Not taking out for a nice night out because you are worried about valets and parking. Too much Point A to Point A...and it is not about the money completely, it is about my relationship with money that I have earned. When the 2012 458s hit $200K, which will happen fairly soon, I will look into getting one as a third car, but besides for how awesome it looks, I am afraid enjoying will be limited.

$200K goes toward a lot of different toys/experiences...
Old 02-13-2015 | 04:04 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

i really don't get it when i read about 'ferrari's in your face image' in the porsche GT3 forum. the GT3 has one of the biggest wings i have ever seen in a production road car, just to be beaten by the soon-to-be-released RS. that is in your face, in my book.
i had a 997 gen 2 carrera C4S, which had more problems in 6 months (before i sold it) than my 458 had in 2 years - and i drove the 458 for 22K km, through ice, snow and salt in winter and summer alike. so before you go and bash ferraris for being unreliable, just go and get the statistics right.
when you read about soulless porsches in the ferrari forum, then i agree it does not sound nice. but after all, it is rather the truth with the GT3 (RS) and the cayman GT4 being wonderful exceptions. maybe i can add the boxster and cayman GTS and the carrera GTS to the 'soulful' porsche range, the rest is SUV's and panameras anyway. and they are - for me - dull and soulless.
no offence, we are talking cars here. to each his/her own.
peter

Talk about generalizations. Because you had problems with your C4S and none with your 458, I now need to get my facts straight, that being Ferraris are more reliable than Porsches. Your single experience which seems to contradict the prevailing facts on reliability between the 2 makes, now becomes a fact I should get straight. You echo the exact sentiments I read numerous times on FerrariChat, that with the exception of the GT3, all Porsche 911s are "soulless" (a complete misuse of that term since only living creatures are capable of possessing a soul). Inanimate objects cannot have a soul but that is the recurring description of what makes a Ferrari unique. Time to come up with a more descriptive term.
Old 02-13-2015 | 04:13 PM
markow
Racer

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
It's just a lot to think about when it is an outlet for fun. Worrying about parking it at a shopping mall parking lot so you can get a Starbucks. Not taking out for a nice night out because you are worried about valets and parking. Too much Point A to Point A...and it is not about the money completely, it is about my relationship with money that I have earned. When the 2012 458s hit $200K, which will happen fairly soon, I will look into getting one as a third car, but besides for how awesome it looks, I am afraid enjoying will be limited.

$200K goes toward a lot of different toys/experiences...
don't know how it is where you live but i have driven my 458 italia to starbucks and have given it to valets for parking. it is just a car, here for you to enjoy. nothing else.
i shall part with it soon, to get the 488GTB. but the 458 will be missed, particularly for those moments between 8 and 9K revs. best enjoyed in tunnels after dropping a few gears:::)))) the drives on the route napoleon or up the col de turini....
i could not care less what other people think about me owning a ferrari - and i work in a profession where even a porsche counts as ostentatious luxury. so what, who cares after all? i refuse to let my life be run by others, too old for that.
peter
Old 02-13-2015 | 04:20 PM
markow
Racer

Talk about generalizations. Because you had problems with your C4S and none with your 458, I now need to get my facts straight, that being Ferraris are more reliable than Porsches. Your single experience which seems to contradict the prevailing facts on reliability between the 2 makes, now becomes a fact I should get straight. You echo the exact sentiments I read numerous times on FerrariChat, that with the exception of the GT3, all Porsche 911s are "soulless" (a complete misuse of that term since only living creatures are capable of possessing a soul). Inanimate objects cannot have a soul but that is the recurring description of what makes a Ferrari unique. Time to come up with a more descriptive term.
would you mind giving a link to the 'prevailing facts' that porsches are more reliable than ferraris?
Old 02-13-2015 | 05:28 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Porsches habitually rank in the top tier of JD Power's most reliable list.

You must be one of the most unique 458 owners. Firstly you have driven driven your car 22000 kms in 2 years and through snow and salt no less. That must have caused seizures amongst 458 owners. And now you have finished them off by stating that you turn your car over to valet parking. I would love to hear from other 458 owners about your treatment of your car.Those who are still conscious after your post.
Old 02-13-2015 | 06:19 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Most people around my area dont understand it, I am a poor, ordinary, workaholic man that loves cars.

Before I love watches, now cars, people change. Maybe later I would love playing with ******.
Not that there is anything wrong with that....
Old 02-13-2015 | 06:20 PM
U OLD DOG
Instructor

Originally Posted by carcommander
That's true. I would drive the GT3 anywhere. The 458 is always an occasion. I find my black 458 draws less attention than my red F430.
SOUNDS LIKE AN OLD WHITE GUY PROBLEM
Old 02-13-2015 | 06:20 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

You must be one of the most unique 458 owners. Firstly you have driven driven your car 22000 kms in 2 years and through snow and salt no less
OMG are u kidding me ?? that 458 is pretty much worthless now... maybe u can just donate it to your local home for the blind...
Old 02-13-2015 | 06:27 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

don't know how it is where you live but i have driven my 458 italia to starbucks and have given it to valets for parking. it is just a car, here for you to enjoy. nothing else.
i shall part with it soon, to get the 488GTB. but the 458 will be missed, particularly for those moments between 8 and 9K revs. best enjoyed in tunnels after dropping a few gears:::)))) the drives on the route napoleon or up the col de turini....
i could not care less what other people think about me owning a ferrari - and i work in a profession where even a porsche counts as ostentatious luxury. so what, who cares after all? i refuse to let my life be run by others, too old for that.
peter
You are right , we should not let what others think effect our lives. With that said, I always took a lot crap from family, associates, some friends when I drove my Ferraris. In a Porsche, even a 200k turbo, people don't say anything. In fact, you can drive a used $60k F355 and people notice but a new $200k porsche or MB and people don't bat an eye.

Quick Reply: Who has a 458 alongside their 991 GT3?