Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS PTS - What are the options for 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:28 AM
LitRbl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question RS PTS - What are the options for 2015?

Does anyone know:

1. Whether PTS will be available in 2015 for the RS?
2. What the list will be for 2015?
3. Where it is best to see the actual colours? E.g. Do we have to go to the factory in Germany to see all the colours in real life?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:57 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Must ask: What stands PTS for?
Old 12-29-2014, 09:03 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Must ask: What stands PTS for?
Paint to sample
Old 12-29-2014, 11:15 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LitRbl
Does anyone know:

3. Where it is best to see the actual colours? E.g. Do we have to go to the factory in Germany to see all the colours in real life?

Thanks.
Option list probably won't become available until the car is released at the show. [Geneva is a good bet] As far as actual PTS colours go, don't know what the dealers have for samples, but good question. Maybe Eduardo can fill us in on PTS samples.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:36 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
As far as actual PTS colours go, don't know what the dealers have for samples, but good question. Maybe Eduardo can fill us in on PTS samples.
Isn't that messed up? Aren't you supposed to provide the sample and they paint it that way, hence the name paint to sample.

I know, I know. Porsche has a complimicated process that hardly allows you to provide your own sample. Really it's all one giant conspiracy to prevent Mooty from getting his own stripper PTS car.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:44 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Isn't that messed up? Aren't you supposed to provide the sample and they paint it that way, hence the name paint to sample.

I know, I know. Porsche has a complimicated process that hardly allows you to provide your own sample. Really it's all one giant conspiracy to prevent Mooty from getting his own stripper PTS car.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default PTS and the MY2015 .1 991 gt3 RS

Originally Posted by LitRbl
Does anyone know:

Thanks.
Originally Posted by bronson7
Option list probably won't become available until the car is released at the show. [Geneva is a good bet] As far as actual PTS colours go, don't know what the dealers have for samples, but good question. Maybe Eduardo can fill us in on PTS samples.
Originally Posted by ranger22

From the recent past history with PAG's introduction of the 2007 .1 997 gt3 RS, I would anticipate that PAG will introduce the MY2015 .1 991 gt3 RS in only four or five limited color schemes. And that it would not offer PTS option on this initial version of the .1 991 gt3 RS. This decision (to not offer PTS) was probably made long before PAG decided to suspend PTS on new orders of MY2015 production which was announced in late October/early November. So the chances of PTS for a prospective customer of the initial runs of .1 991 gt3 RS's (expected to be built & delivered in the Spring of 2015) are predicted to be ZERO with almost a 100% confidence level!

For the limited colors destined to be offered on the .1 991 gt3 RS, only a version of 'orange' should be considered unusual -and the closest you'll get to PTS initially on this initial model release. We have speculated that it's going to be a revived vintage early 911 color called 'Blutorange/Tangerine'- color code 018. Others have been told the color is newly formulated and will be called 'Java Orange'. Either way, it will be a 'Tangerine/Orange' that should proved very popular since it will contrast beautifully with all the black trim on the body of the RS! (see attached photo of color on door jam on 991 gt3 RS mule taken in San Francisco).

For the future (whether a .2 991 gt3 or .2 991 RS, if they make them) you can start planning your PTS custom order now! Here is how it works. If PAG gets it right and works out better procedures for PTS, the program might be re-introduced in the summer of 2015 for MY2016 991/981 production. The PAG's list of approved colors for PTS has grown tremendously since it was first revealed to the 'public' in 2012. You can compared from the two lists I have attached to this post for your perusal. Not all colors requested are approved. But enough make it through the feasibility study so that it should encourage those of you with unusual color requests to try to get your color approved AHEAD of an order. Even if PTS has been suspended for the rest of MY2015, there is a possibility that Porsche is still having DuPont do feasibility tests on requested PTS colors. So push to have your custom PTS color (if you don't already find it approved on the list) tested ASAP so that you know where it stands BEFORE the PTS window opens for the particular model you are planning to custom order.

For example, that is what Rennlister 'Green Lantern' has done with the color 'Chartreuse/Lindgrün' (color code 226) ahead of his future order. And yes, he probably had to provide his dealer & PCNA/PAG with a sample of that color on a small metal piece as the 'Paint to Sample' for PAG to reproduce. The reason for the pre-approval is that if you wait for the PTS window to open for submitting your color, the test might take longer & the window might close by the time your approval comes through. So it pays to work with a dealer that knows PTS intimately, has personal contacts with 'Porsche Exclusive' personnel both in Atlanta and Zuffenhausen, and can helps you get through the PTS feasibility approval process successfully.

Is PTS at Porsche complicated? Yes
Can you get true Paint-to-Your-Sample'? Yes
Is it worth it to go through the hassle? Yes...if you appreciate a rare & often unique color on your custom order!

So caveat lector.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Attached Images
Old 12-29-2014, 06:12 PM
LitRbl
Instructor

Hi Eduardo

You are a legend! Many thanks for such a detailed response.

I shall speak with my German dealer soon to discuss the options you mentioned.

Thanks and best wishes for 2015!

R.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:03 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 788 Likes on 364 Posts

Eduardo, what about the rumoured purple shade?
Old 12-29-2014, 07:12 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

PAG: offer Richard Petty blue as a standard color
Problem solved for 99% of the PTS requests

Bill
Old 12-29-2014, 07:19 PM
LitRbl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Eduardo, what about the rumoured purple shade?
Do you mean the IROC colour? It would be cool if there was something like Karminrot / Carmine Red.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:48 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

With carmine red offered as a "special color" for the GTS, I wonder if we'll start seeing additional special colors added to the standard palette for upcoming models. Mexico blue, signal green, speed yellow and, of course, RS orange, would seem obvious for the RS.

Quick Reply: RS PTS - What are the options for 2015?