Sponsored by:

NEW CRAWFORD WING FOR GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 10:05 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
65lbs is effectively nothing. That number seems tough to justify a wing.
Remember that the first thing a wing has to do is overcome the lift that is generated by most every car as speed increases. 65 lbs of downforce is how much "heavier" the car is at 130 mph than at rest. I do not know how much lift the wing has to overcome in the GT3, but there most definitely is some. So the stock wing overcomes lift and has 65 lbs of downforce to spare.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:16 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
I completely agree with what you are saying, and Porsche has built a balanced car. But, there are compromises in all car designs. To keep the 911 shape, Porsche inherently fights rear lift at speed. So Porsche has found ways to minimize rear lift with all of it's 911 models (for each of their intended purposes). My old 09 C2S was great grand touring car, DD, and good on the track, but I knew that it was a mechanical grip car, and it was light in the back during high speed corners due to it's shape and minimal rear aero. If one were to believe Porsche has designed this GT3 to have CUP car rear downforce levels for high speed (>135 mph) cornering near maximum mechanical grip....then I would disagree. Because it is a street car, they make compromises, and one was to not have a big rear wing in this car, as it is not a race car. Porsche has designed it for what the intended uses are, and recognizing the limits of it's design can easily be seen by looking at what Porsche does to it's more race like GT3RS, as well as it's true race cars (CUP, RSR). To just say they built a "balanced car" is too general of a statement. Look at all of the hypercars, and notice they have active Aero bits and pieces. They are in a higher $$$ market, and truly have been designed to be self adjustable at different driven speeds. FastLane tracks at Sebring, which is a high speed track..... so his testing for more rear downforce should not just be ripped on for unbalancing this car's aero. That Crawford wing has different downforce settings..... who knows what FastLane's final downforce settings will be. On other tracks, it may be complete overkill, and need to be set for less rear aero, etc, etc
Great comments by both. Very good points.

When I built my high hp Switzer Club Sport GT-R, the rear wing was probably the most difficult to adjust. We had to rely heavily on GPS based computers attached directly to car's inputs to determine top speeds before entries after each angled adjustment. Pain in a$$.

Sometimes, the simplest of data is how much faster or slower you're running? Obviously, fastlaneturbo has been around the circuit for some time and I completely respect his opinions regarding performance.

I think the GT3 is BEAUTIFUL, regardless and as much as I love the car, I HATE how difficult it is to see out the rear window. For that reason alone, I'd buy.

Matter of fact, if 60" is good, 72" should be even better

Sign me up.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:32 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

VIDEO of first Track Test with New Crawford Wing at Sebring 12/14/14 with Chin Motorsports -
Still on original MPSC2 Tires with 7,200 Miles and 10 Track Events. Crawford Wing definitely helps to reduce oversteer and yield a few extra MPH around corners.
Lots of fun following a White Ferrari Team Race Car on slicks. Amazing that the MPSC2's hold up as well as they do after so many miles and numerous Heat Cycles.
I notice the MPSC2's do take several warm-up laps to reach best operating temperature.

GT3 with Crawford Wing at First Track Test at Sebring with Chin Motorsports. Gold Bands around Wing supports have been removed.

GT3 - Sebring 12/14/14

Last edited by FastLaneTurbo; 01-03-2015 at 11:34 PM. Reason: redundant text
Old 01-04-2015, 12:39 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nice Driving!

Thanks for the video.

(Coincidentally, I'm leaving for Sebring on Wednesday. Car already down there.)

Looks like you didi a nice job of catching up to the 458. Had him until the yello stingray split you guys up and didn't let you pass until well into back stretch.

I ran the MPC2's last year too. Looking forward to seeing what my Forgelines and PZero's can do?
Old 01-04-2015, 01:31 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job fastlane. Enjoyed your video.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:30 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice job driving FastLaneTurbo. Thanks for posting your vid. You seemed to be able to give the F-car all it could handle. Also seemed to be a lot of traffic out there, so it may be hard to answer, but how much time would you say that wing was good for? 1/2, 1, 2 or more seconds a lap? I'm glad to see it was positive. I knew it would be but there were a few people who had their doubts, including some pretty respectable members. I'm no race car engineer, but using a calculated guess from what I do know, I expected pretty measurable gains with the wing. Glad to see you felt it was a good addition to your car for track duty. Now, go swap out that RCA Over the Shoulder Cam from 1986 and get a better camera/mic so we can REALLY enjoy your vids lol
Old 01-04-2015, 09:24 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...and then there was two. What a great piece of driving FastLane. As expected, the Fcar was fast in the straights but you certainly caught him in the corners. Seemed like it was only the two of you out there with great driving skills and the two best cars. No question the addition of the Crawford Wing has proven itself. Question for you, if you had similar slick tires as the 458, do you think there might have been a chance of passing him or was he a good enough driver to stay in front? Really enjoyed the video, keep them coming.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:04 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the video FLT!! Keep us updated on how things go in the future, and any real data comparisons would be great. You sir, are a trailblazer. BTW: By having that Ferrari Race car in front of you also proves your point on needing the ability to have more rear downforce. Even though one is to believe Ferrari built a "balanced car" for the 458 (for it's intended street uses), when the Ferrari cars hit the race circuits, they all have added rear downforce, very similar to your Crawford wing.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Very nice. Great driving. Thanks for sharing
Old 01-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

At first I did not like that wing but it is growing on me. Very nice design. It does look a little similar to the 991 GT3 RS prototypes we have seen pictures of.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:48 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
At first I did not like that wing but it is growing on me. Very nice design. It does look a little similar to the 991 GT3 RS prototypes we have seen pictures of.
Yes Jimmy!
The most frequent question I get asked is:
"How did you get an early delivery on the new GT3RS?"

Of course, I am highly insulted by the confusion. LOL
Old 05-27-2015, 02:53 PM
John Elliot
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I placed my order this morning. Looking forward to try it.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:18 PM
CARFANATICA
Intermediate

Default Arrives this week

I ordered this wing 6 weeks ago..Kris Temple was great to work with. They shipped it Monday for W delivery. Then CHIN at Road ATL and Barber to test it...I can't wait to actually 'see' thru the rear view. Also, the current wing took 10 minutes to take out...brake power cord need to unplug inside right side engine lid and 4 bolts. I think Crawford did an excellent job making it look OEM...plus only $2,900
Old 06-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys please make sure you give us your impressions once installed and add any pictures to this thread. This is a useful thread for GT3 owners wishing to get more out of their cars...
Old 06-03-2015, 11:52 PM
CARFANATICA
Intermediate

Default Pics...

Originally Posted by Macca
Guys please make sure you give us your impressions once installed and add any pictures to this thread. This is a useful thread for GT3 owners wishing to get more out of their cars...

Quick Reply: NEW CRAWFORD WING FOR GT3