Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW CRAWFORD WING FOR GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 02:13 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't mean this as a commentary on this wing, but I'd like to see the data that the 991 GT3 wing doesn't really do anything. It's hard for me to believe Porsche would add something so ostentatious without it providing real improvement. That's not really what Porsche does.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:32 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I think it looks awful. Just my view. Then again, what the hell do I know, I have a bright green car.
you kidding? that's a beauty!!!
Old 12-18-2014, 04:46 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I don't mean this as a commentary on this wing, but I'd like to see the data that the 991 GT3 wing doesn't really do anything. It's hard for me to believe Porsche would add something so ostentatious without it providing real improvement. That's not really what Porsche does.
I never said the GT3 OEM Wing didn't do anything. On the contrary, If we can believe Sport Autos's measurements, it generates 65 Lbs of downforce at 130 MPH. For a true Racing wing, that is VERY low - which is why Race cars use larger more effective wings which allow them to reduce lap times by going faster around corners. 65 Lbs @ 130 This means that on a 65 MPH average corner (half the speed) it would generate only 16 pounds of downforce, (1/4 the downforce).

The GT3 Wing is an improvement over no wing at all.
But the larger wing that will be used on the GT3RS is a much larger improvement.

I fully understand that our GT3 performance is constrained by both manufacturing costs and the necessity for leaving room for the improved and far more costly "RS" models of the basic GT3 which will follow. If an alternative performance improvement is available now, I saw no reason not to develop it - hence my enlisting help from Crawford's Racing Group.

More Rear downforce also reduces the tendency to snap oversteer and, IMHO
enhances Track safety.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:02 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Did Crawford also make a revised front splitter? The reason I ask is that, on my prior 997 Cup I installed the Crawford Grand Am wing. It worked great when paired with the Crawford Grand Am front splitter. But if you used the Grand Am wing with the OEM front splitter, the car pushed like a pig.

Just food for thought. If the rear wing increases rear downforce appreciably, then the balance is likely to be off. Porsche is very unlikely to sell a car to the general public that has a tendency to oversteer due to an imbalance between front and rear downforce. If anything they'd do the opposite (for safety/liability reasons).
Old 12-18-2014, 05:47 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
Did Crawford also make a revised front splitter? The reason I ask is that, on my prior 997 Cup I installed the Crawford Grand Am wing. It worked great when paired with the Crawford Grand Am front splitter. But if you used the Grand Am wing with the OEM front splitter, the car pushed like a pig.

Just food for thought. If the rear wing increases rear downforce appreciably, then the balance is likely to be off. Porsche is very unlikely to sell a car to the general public that has a tendency to oversteer due to an imbalance between front and rear downforce. If anything they'd do the opposite (for safety/liability reasons).

I think what needs to be understood is that the GT3 is a street car, is styled like an aggressive street car, but happens to have the heart of a race car (engine power on par with prior CUP cars), and can provide us all with incredible on track performance, yet has limitations due to it's street design. In general, Porsche does develop a car that is designed with aero to avoid snap oversteer at speeds greater than 130 or so, and it is called a CUP Car. But no one here besides MOOTY would drive one on the street. The RS will be a "closer to CUP car" design, and I tend to thank the trailblazers with these cars, like SAMfromTX and FastLane for their efforts to make this STREET car safer and faster on the track.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:48 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

How many Ferrari race cars have big spoilers?? But Ferrari doesn't put the spoilers on the street versions because of esthetics.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:59 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I never said the GT3 OEM Wing didn't do anything. On the contrary, If we can believe Sport Autos's measurements, it generates 65 Lbs of downforce at 130 MPH. For a true Racing wing, that is VERY low - which is why Race cars use larger more effective wings which allow them to reduce lap times by going faster around corners. 65 Lbs @ 130 This means that on a 65 MPH average corner (half the speed) it would generate only 16 pounds of downforce, (1/4 the downforce).
65lbs is effectively nothing. That number seems tough to justify a wing.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:15 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
65lbs is effectively nothing. That number seems tough to justify a wing.
One of the links that FastLane posted shows the wind tunnel testing of a CUP car, and you would be surprised to see how the shape of the 911 directs airflow. That wing needs to get high to find clean air!!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
One of the links that FastLane posted shows the wind tunnel testing of a CUP car, and you would be surprised to see how the shape of the 911 directs airflow. That wing needs to get high to find clean air!!
You are right about that. However, when you find the clean air up high (and more downforce), then the front will have relatively less grip than the rear. You will then need more downforce on the front. You can't find more downforce in one place and call it quits. It leaves the car unbalanced. (And no, Porsche doesn't sell an aerodynamically unbalanced car. That would not fly through engineering or legal.)

Stated another way, Crawford might sell a rear wing with no matching splitter to street drivers. But it isn't going to sell a race team a rear wing with no matching splitter and say, "you're good to go."
Old 12-18-2014, 09:07 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
most Engineering projects, when 90% completed, are only half done. LOL
LOL. Lane this is so true. Unfortunately these young engineers think they are God's gift. I love their confidence but every once in a while I make a point to bring them down to earth. This should be an interesting project. Hopefully they don't nag me too much, to drive my car at the track to test out their proposed design

Really appreciate all of your assistance and thank you so much for sharing the drawings. Much appreciate. You are a true gentleman and first class act. People like yourself are one of the reasons, I enjoy spending time on the Rennlist. Thank you so much and God bless you. If you ever need any assistance in manufacturing or fabricating any custom parts for your GT3, please don't hesitate to contact me. It will be my pleasure to assist you. Mark
Old 12-18-2014, 10:07 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
LOL. Lane this is so true. Unfortunately these young engineers think they are God's gift. I love their confidence but every once in a while I make a point to bring them down to earth. This should be an interesting project. Hopefully they don't nag me too much, to drive my car at the track to test out their proposed design

Really appreciate all of your assistance and thank you so much for sharing the drawings. Much appreciate. You are a true gentleman and first class act. People like yourself are one of the reasons, I enjoy spending time on the Rennlist. Thank you so much and God bless you. If you ever need any assistance in manufacturing or fabricating any custom parts for your GT3, please don't hesitate to contact me. It will be my pleasure to assist you. Mark
Thank you very much for those kind words Mark.
My Wing project for the Street GT3 started out as a personal project based upon
the outstanding performance increase of the Crawford Wing on my GT2 993 Race Car, the last of Porsche's Air-Cooled and Turbo-Charged Race Cars. It was far above and beyond what Weissach had delivered to me and kept the car Podium competitive for 10 years in serious Club racing, which I thought was pretty remarkable.

I was delighted that Max Crawford was willing to assign the R&D resources
that he did to a street car project after decades of building professional Race Cars
for well-financed International Race teams and be willing to further extend those
resources to my fellow PCA Club Members and the Rennlist community.

I sent an E-Mail last night to Max Crawford asking for pricing of additional "Wing Kits" and received this reply:

The wing kit comprises;
· One 60” element with a 12” cord
· One 3/8 gurney that is removable
· Left hand and right hand wing end plates
· Left hand and right hand aluminum mounts with carbon covers
· Hardware for the wing to the mounts with an adjusting tool.
· Brake lights in the back of the mounts with a wiring loom

The price of the kit is $2960.00.

Thank you again for your continuing interest and kind comments, and Best Wishes for a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season.
Lane

Above Photo is my 1995 993 GT2 Race Car with Crawford Wing

Last edited by FastLaneTurbo; 12-18-2014 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Add text
Old 12-19-2014, 02:05 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

^Wow, great deal for such a nicely engineered piece!
Old 12-19-2014, 04:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Great price, I've always run all cars with Max wing + Gurney flap.
I'm partial to the nicely shaped .2RS wing and 991RS wing as opposed to this look, CUP and .1RS but it should work great.
Looks like a great option for someone liking the CUP look and / or more down force.

For me the biggest advantage would be that I can see out the rear window!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lane. Being a 993 man at heart always loved your old ride and never thought that wing was outta place - just need to look at the spiritual predecessor to the RSR ( we all go Gaga over) - the 993 GT2 EVO to realise it fitted right in. Short memories we have...,
Old 12-19-2014, 07:44 AM
A36Pilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FastLaneTurbo, thank you and God Bless.

Quick Reply: NEW CRAWFORD WING FOR GT3