Sponsored by:

non PTS paint problem, roof also

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:33 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Who is telling you this? You have sources at the paint department at Zuffenhausen? Because that is whom we have to hear from to get the correct answer to this problem which is apparently happening with a few new 991's! We don't need just more 'speculation' unless they are from a solid source that is identified and is willing to be 'quoted' for the record.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Just trying to help the OP out and yes, I can't quote the person who gave me the advice. It's unwise to bite the hand that feeds you, no? I seriously doubt PAG will announce anything publicly.

I'm also told it's impacting more than just 991s. But again, I can't name the person so you can believe or not.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:48 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Just trying to help the OP out and yes, I can't quote the person who gave me the advice. It's unwise to bite the hand that feeds you, no? I seriously doubt PAG will announce anything publicly. I'm also told it's impacting more than just 991s. But again, I can't name the person so you can believe or not.
Doesn't seem far fetched. If they did change, they wouldn't even announce it anyway unless there was P.R. to get out of it. I'm sure some car companies did when switching over to water based paints.

Regardless, they should work on a ceramic type clear coat like some other manufacturers, because what they're using now is soooo soft.

Rubbing your finger on a black one, you can see how soft it is. Have a dry rough finger, that will even do the trick with no dirt even needed to push around.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:50 PM
STG
Race Director

This issue clearly seems to be the clear coat still curing and not being able to breath through the wrap which gives it a "hazed cloudy look".

This must be happening after the car is wrapped and the paint is still "breathing/off gassing" during the curing process.

Same reason PPG and paint makers have a 30-60 day window advising no PPF film, paint sealing, etc. after a body shop repaint.

My "theories" of course...
Old 12-11-2014, 02:59 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

For clarification, my car is also black.

The 'spots' look a little grayish with some small, cricular scratch-like aspects. There is definitely a loss of depth. You also mention it's 'in the clear'; my spots are definitely superficial.

I can only see them under specific light conditions but they are visible - and a source of frustration. However, I decided not to go back to the dealer with this. It's my fault I didn't notice them when I picked-up the car. (I think adrenaline impacts my eyesight...)
Old 12-11-2014, 03:08 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alaint101
For clarification, my car is also black.

The 'spots' look a little grayish with some small, cricular scratch-like aspects. There is definitely a loss of depth. You also mention it's 'in the clear'; my spots are definitely superficial.

I can only see them under specific light conditions but they are visible - and a source of frustration. However, I decided not to go back to the dealer with this. It's my fault I didn't notice them when I picked-up the car. (I think adrenaline impacts my eyesight...)
You have nothing to lose by seeing what he dealer says. If common, PCNA will surely want to fix the issue. They made money off of you when you bought the car, but plan to make more money off of you in the future. Leaving unresolved problems like this are bad for future business.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:08 PM
STG
Race Director

For clarification, my car is also black. The 'spots' look a little grayish with some small, cricular scratch-like aspects. There is definitely a loss of depth. You also mention it's 'in the clear'; my spots are definitely superficial. I can only see them under specific light conditions but they are visible - and a source of frustration. However, I decided not to go back to the dealer with this. It's my fault I didn't notice them when I picked-up the car. (I think adrenaline impacts my eyesight...)
Does it look like its on the surface or below it?

Curious to see more pics. A good body shop should be able to give a good assessment.

You haven't lost your warranty on the car!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:16 PM
seamus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
This issue clearly seems to be the clear coat still curing and not being able to breath through the wrap which gives it a "hazed cloudy look".

This must be happening after the car is wrapped and the paint is still "breathing/off gassing" during the curing process.

Same reason PPG and paint makers have a 30-60 day window advising no PPF film, paint sealing, etc. after a body shop repaint.

My "theories" of course...
If indeed it is the clear coat requiring more time to cure, what will happen if the car is wrapped before it has had a chance to cure completely? And how long would it take to cure?
Old 12-11-2014, 03:50 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by seamus
If indeed it is the clear coat requiring more time to cure, what will happen if the car is wrapped before it has had a chance to cure completely? And how long would it take to cure?
I think some of these issues it might be from wrapping them too early before the paint is cured.

Obviously this problem he didn't seem to be an issue before, so that might point to a new formulation of the paint?

The factory paint I'm sure is cured at a higher temperature than your normal body shop because they're only spraying the shell. They're able to crank up the heat more so than if you were putting the whole car into a booth.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:03 PM
STG
Race Director

For clarification, my car is also black. The 'spots' look a little grayish with some small, cricular scratch-like aspects. There is definitely a loss of depth. You also mention it's 'in the clear'; my spots are definitely superficial. I can only see them under specific light conditions but they are visible - and a source of frustration. However, I decided not to go back to the dealer with this. It's my fault I didn't notice them when I picked-up the car. (I think adrenaline impacts my eyesight...)
Depending on what the spot is, if it's a surface defect there's a good chance the dealer caused it during the prep process. Obviously I'm just speculating not seeing the car in person or pictures that are very good!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:15 PM
alaint101
Racer

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
You have nothing to lose by seeing what he dealer says. If common, PCNA will surely want to fix the issue. They made money off of you when you bought the car, but plan to make more money off of you in the future. Leaving unresolved problems like this are bad for future business.
Thanks MileHigh911

Good suggestion. I'll contact my rep.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:18 PM
alaint101
Racer

Originally Posted by STG991
Does it look like its on the surface or below it?

Curious to see more pics. A good body shop should be able to give a good assessment.

You haven't lost your warranty on the car!
Looks superficial.

I'm not at that house right now but I'll be there over the weekend and give it a better inspection. I'll also try to take a good, clear pic and post.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:39 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

it is imbedded in the coat, there is no superficial damage or scratching
Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

so thinking about it, maybe this is why no PTS, issues w/all paint
In July when I went on factory tour, there were very few bodies loaded above assembly line, on of the other people on the tour said he heard it was because of paint quality issues in the paint shop; looking at my car, Ive seen this kind of thing with model cars, you get a weird discoloration sometimes, and then you sand it and it looks ok and then you clear and it seems fine and then later is discolors again and sometimes you have to sand down all the way to get it right, I hope that in time and sunlight the problem will fade, right now Im just bummed, its like dating a hot supermodel and then finding out she has a piercing on her labia in the shape of a Ferrari emblem
Old 12-11-2014, 10:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Take better pics when you can. Also details about how the car was delivered? Was it wrapped? Where are you located?

Last edited by STG; 12-12-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

It seems the new clear needs more time to cure and as such cars with blemishes are being delivered. I'm told if you run your hand over it, pre-polish it will feel like a jelly fish. Very light wet sanding can apparently help get small amounts out but it probably will not be 100% perfect.
The OP thinks it's different on the roof of his vehicle:

Originally Posted by dark knight
it is imbedded in the coat, there is no superficial damage or scratching
With regards to the rest, Nate, I am still having problems with what your wrote and I'll try to explain carefully why I feel that way!

I did a little bit of digging to see if I could find something out - from what I understand PAG has changed the clear they're using and it seems to tie up with customers experience with QC problems. The speculation is that they're pushing cars out of the factory and applying shipping film too early.
Who is telling you this? You have sources at the paint department at Zuffenhausen? Because that is whom we have to hear from to get the correct answer to this problem which is apparently happening with a few new 991's! We don't need just more 'speculation' unless they are from a solid source that is identified and is willing to be 'quoted' for the record..
Just trying to help the OP out and yes, I can't quote the person who gave me the advice. It's unwise to bite the hand that feeds you, no? I seriously doubt PAG will announce anything publicly. I'm also told it's impacting more than just 991s. But again, I can't name the person so you can believe or not.
Understand you think you are trying to help Nate...but I personally don't think PAG or PCNA would tell any of us straight up that 'PAG has changed the clear they're using and it seems to tie up with customers experience with QC problems.' So this is not coming from official sources.

The rest of your statement was indeed conjecture: 'The speculation is that they're pushing cars out of the factory and applying shipping film too early!'. There is nothing new here. PeteyDaddy on his 'Maritime Blue' gt3 and Tpup on his 'Aqua Blue' gt3 discussed these issues with us at Rennlist. But notice that 911dev had similar experiences years ago with a previous (non-991) Porsche. Furthermore, we really don't yet know if 'dark knight' issue came from the shipping film on his car's roof. In fact, I was under the impression that 'dark knight' was based in Europe with our US Armed Forces or a Defense Contractor. He might have picked up his Porsche at Zuffenhausen without ever been touched or wrap in shipping film. We still don't yet know that important fact. That is why I asked him earlier if he was based in Germany and I hope he can help us with this bit of important information ASAP. In fact, we (at least I) don't know what type of 911 'dark knight' owns - or how old it is, when it was delivered, etc?

Good luck with solving that problem Dark Knight! At least you are in Germany (right) and can take it back to the factory if necessary for a proper 'fix'.

Just in case others don't understand the references to PTS 'paint problems', see post 63 at link below:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...nkencar-5.html
I think these paint issues that have recently come up (we have heard mostly of these two PTS gt3's and now dark knight's Porsche) are serious problems which could negatively impact on the reputation of Porsche. I believe that we need to be cautious in what is posted to insure we don't damage unintentionally the marque. I don't think we know enough about what is going on with these paint issues to pontificate. And until we have reliable sources that can be named & quoted, I don't find that constructive passing on information from sources you can't identify or named on this forum and which leaves us unable to judge as how knowledgeable or reliable they might be. My dos centavos, for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: non PTS paint problem, roof also