Sponsored by:

Out of state

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Goosebug
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of state

How has the experience been with purchases out of state? Transport? Any issues? Have an out of state allocation and a possible local allocation over MSRP? Both close out in early November and deliver in Feb. Any thoughts. Keep the out of state one? What price over MSRP makes it worthwhile to have it local?

I'm new to this forum. Had a 2011 GT3 sold. Looking forward to a 2015. Have been poking around the forum for a bit now.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2014, 06:44 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I need more details to help you. How far is the out of state purchase? Can you drive to inspect it and take it home? If you ship it enclosed, will you fly to go see it and do the paperwork? How much is shipping, flights costs etc vs other car's price above msrp? Will the out of state dealer and your local dealer do a courtesy delivery? If the numbers work out close, buy it at home.

I had to buy out of state as in 1200 miles away, simply because my local dealer couldn't get me a spot. When the car arrives I will fly up to inspect it and make the purchase. Then the car will be shipped to my home sometime later. Waiting for timely delivery and pick up can be a hassle too.

Last edited by mcsmcs1; 10-11-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:53 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

You can probably also find a member to inspect it for you that is local to the dealer, I would feel comfortable buying out of state as long as the dealer is reputable.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Goosebug
Intermediate

Cross country purchase!! Thinking less hassle and risk to just buy local and suck up the overage. Agreed to 7K over. To fly out an inspect, then transport etc sounds painful.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:02 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Goosebug
Cross country purchase!! Thinking less hassle and risk to just buy local and suck up the overage. Agreed to 7K over. To fly out an inspect, then transport etc sounds painful.
wow, $7,000 over? That's a lot to work with and after shipping and even a flight, you would have saved $3,500 I am guessing compared to buying local.
I like the idea of having someone local inspect for you and then you just pay the shipping and come out $4,000 plus ahead.

Better yet if a local dealer and the selling dealer agree to a courtesy delivery, you pay the local dealer $1,000( or less- it is negotiable) to do the paperwork and Porsche ships the car to the local dealer from the port of entry. That is the way to go if you can make that happen; you save $6,000 and there is no hassle. Clearly, don't ask the dealer who is charging the $7k to receive it.

Alternatively, just buy from a dealer closer to home with no mark up. I have seen many available from LA to SF, PA to NY etc. You have options vs a $7k premium.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:10 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bottom line, if your local dealer couldn't get the car you want, they will still service you like as would be expected from the Porsche brand. Just because you didn't buy the car from them doesn't mean they won't adopt you. They know you will buy another Porsche in addition to the service revenue youwill provide them. Porsche is a world class act.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:21 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am buying one from a reputable dealer on the east coast at MSRP. My build, my way. Will be shipping it enclosed transport for about 2.5K to the PNW. Am exploring courtesy delivery options. Car to go in to body shop 10/31; just couldn't get the buckets I wanted, maybe later. Have GT2 buckets in my 997.1 GT3. Was farther down on waiting list for local dealer. Last minute allocations on west coast had me thinking but I had already committed with east coast dealer. I am ok with that. However, transportation to the PNW an issue due to # cars in the transport. May be delayed getting up to me.
Toying with receiving the car in SF area 2K, family there and driving up versus courtesy delivery locally. Have some time to sort it out.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:22 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I flew 350 miles and made a long drive home to get Scarlett. Suck it up!
Old 10-11-2014, 09:31 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

For $7k you could have paid for the clear bra, flown out, picked it up, driven it home and done a few track days at different tracks along the way...

Seems like a hell of a first week in a new car to me!
Old 10-11-2014, 09:40 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Courtesy delivery to the dealer of your choice. That's what I am doing.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:49 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done the out of state purchase and local courtesy delivery deal on other cars in the past. It has worked out well for me, with no major hassles.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:00 PM
kneman1
Instructor

I bought cross country. I am located in Los Angeles and the dealer is in NYC. He is shipping it to port of Los Angeles and a local dealer will do the PDI as a courtesy. But I bought at MSRP. I would not have paid over. Ask the dealer to do a local delivery to a dealer close to you. They should do it. If you pay cash or do your own financing paperwork should be a non issue.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Goosebug
Intermediate

Awesome guys. Thanks for the info. Local delivery sound like the way to go. Appreciate the input. Will keep all posted on the final build.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 10 Posts

I would make the deal on the out of state unit. I know time is money, but there is no reason to pay $7K blue sky. And, I don't think there is too much risk in purchasing from an out of state dealer if he is reputable, and that is easy to determine. Personally, I don't think you need to fly out to inspect the car either. Do the transaction over the phone, have the dealer send you lots of pictures (or hire a 3rd party inspector) and put the car on a covered transport. I had a deposit on a '14 in NY (I'm in Atlanta) and was going this route, but I ended up with an allocation nearby that I was able to configure so I changed directions. As others have suggested you may be able to arrange a courtesy delivery which would be the best case scenario. Remember, the delivering dealer will get your service business.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome guys. Thanks for the info. Local delivery sound like the way to go. Appreciate the input. Will keep all posted on the final build.
I've used this so-called "courtesy delivery" with several cars, including a GT3, it's painless and should be either free or nearly free give or take some transport fees that could be waived, but for an in-demand car like the 2014 GT3, maybe the local dealer wouldn't be at liberty to make that offer.

I think the market on the 2014 GT3 is solid, but not inflated, so there's no cause to pay a penny over list msrp.

Quick Reply: Out of state