Sponsored by:

Out of state

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Goosebug
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I've used this so-called "courtesy delivery" with several cars, including a GT3, it's painless and should be either free or nearly free give or take some transport fees that could be waived, but for an in-demand car like the 2014 GT3, maybe the local dealer wouldn't be at liberty to make that offer. I think the market on the 2014 GT3 is solid, but not inflated, so there's no cause to pay a penny over list msrp.
Is that coordinated through the dealership where I'm buying the car or the dealership where I want the car delivered? And which dealership is responsible if there are any issues?
Old 10-12-2014, 02:54 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live on the border between CA and NV. The Nevada dealer is the closest for me. There are a few things that suck about bringing an out of state car to CA. Believe it or not, I had to get it smogged (incredibly clean BTW), then I had to take it to the DMV. to register. It's no more expensive, but taking a brand new car to get smogged is crazy.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:59 PM
LAGinz
Pro

The requirement that the car be smogged must be relatively new-- not required when I did a few years ago. Kind of bizarre considering these are 50 state cars.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:05 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LAGinz
The requirement that the car be smogged must be relatively new-- not required when I did a few years ago. Kind of bizarre considering these are 50 state cars.
I know for sure on used cars it dates back far. In 1990 I had to get a car smogged from out of state. In 2012, and 2013, I bought new cars out of state and had to smog those as well, so it may be something fairly new for brand new cars.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I live on the border between CA and NV. The Nevada dealer is the closest for me. There are a few things that suck about bringing an out of state car to CA. Believe it or not, I had to get it smogged (incredibly clean BTW), then I had to take it to the DMV. to register. It's no more expensive, but taking a brand new car to get smogged is crazy.
The CA SMOG revenue racket doesn't apply to new vehicle sales. Another advantage, if you can wrangle it, is to originate the lease out of state. I did this in Florida once and it was a better product (cheaper rate, less fees) to the tune of $100 per month.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:12 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The CA SMOG revenue racket doesn't apply to new vehicle sales. Another advantage, if you can wrangle it, is to originate the lease out of state. I did this in Florida once and it was a better product (cheaper rate, less fees) to the tune of $100 per month.
If you buy it in state. If you bring any car, new or used from out of state you have to get it smogged. Trust me, they would not let me register my GT3 without the certificate. Same for my 2013 Cayenne last year, or my 2013 Subaru STI The year before. All three were purchased brand new, out of state. All three were required to be smogged prior to registration.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:20 PM
LAGinz
Pro

I wonder if the issue comes down to where the initial delivery takes place. On a true courtesy delivery the Cali dealer literally gets the initial delivery from Porsche. it does not go to the out of state dealer first. In that case hard to see why Cali would smog
Old 10-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I wonder if the issue comes down to where the initial delivery takes place. On a true courtesy delivery the Cali dealer literally gets the initial delivery from Porsche. it does not go to the out of state dealer first. In that case hard to see why Csli would smog
Right, it's not an out-of-state purchase, you can even choose a closer port of entry and it appears on the Monroney if you get a courtesy delivery handled before the vehicle is built.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goosebug
Is that coordinated through the dealership where I'm buying the car or the dealership where I want the car delivered? And which dealership is responsible if there are any issues?
The selling dealer handles logistics -- you'll have to have a working relationship with the service manager at your preferred local dealer. If you've bought or serviced cars, and you're a known face, all should be well.

I believe it's important to secure the arrangement on paper before inking the purchase order. Dealers are little more than franchise operators, so Porsche Cars North America has little control over their operations, as far as I've ever seen in the last 20 years. In any case, you can escalate through PCNA or use the GT3 "Concierge" (or is that consigliere?) service to coordinate and secure the necessary cooperation.

If you're walking in, the dealer GM and service manager will have to determine that they're absolutely not facilitating you buying from another dealer when they could/should stick to their job of convincing you to buy from them. After all, in round figures, for every 100 times there's a Joe walk-in with stars in his eyes, mumbling about buying a two-seater GT3, there's 99 that go away and buy a base model BMW 3 Series off craigslist.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:28 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

I wonder if the issue comes down to where the initial delivery takes place. On a true courtesy delivery the Cali dealer literally gets the initial delivery from Porsche. it does not go to the out of state dealer first. In that case hard to see why Csli would smog
Probably. If you are actually getting it delivered from a CA dealer, I don't think it applies. It may be County or origin state specific as well. For both Porsches, they were delivered to me, out of State in Nevada. The Subaru was delivered to me in Colorado. I live in a small town, so not really a big deal as in all three cases the hassle takes less than an hour, between the Smog and the DMV trip....as long as you have an appointment.

Quick Reply: Out of state