Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 03:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Dear friends, it is with asadness and a certain level of sheepishness that I have to let you know I probably won't have much of a reason to hang around here anymore. I finally had a buddy with a 991with the sports suspension come over yesterday to do a garage entry test. I'll send pictures with this phone for illustration, but basically his car barely made it past the front left wheel before hi centering. My street has a pretty steep slope as I live on one of the biggest hills in San Francisco, my garage on the other hand is flat, it is probably a 4 foot apron to make up for this height difference, which causes a big hump on the left side. There is no diagonal entry possible to mitigate this, as the width of the garage is only 5 inches wider than the width of the car. I realize now how wishful my thinking has been, when I really really should have tested this along time ago, but in the back of my mind I was thinking of other options like renting a garage space and that the worst really was never going to happen. Unfortunately I realize that keep in my car in the garage away from my house and public is a terrible idea for this type of sports car. Not to mention the additional $500-$700 per month cost that would have entailed, as well as the obvious loss of pleasure of not having a car available when you need it, I need to ask somebody to pull it out of some garage spot in order to drive it..

I wanted to offer my sales person the courtesy of knowing first before posting on this forum. Now that he knows and you all know, I sit here at work with this very strong sense of emptiness, after so long I realize that I was thinking about this car at least 25% of my waking hours if not more… I have to come to terms with that while I live in this very beautiful city, that owning a sports car is probably not a viable option. I'm going to keep checking the forum for a bit as you all receive your cars, in some masochistic way, not too different from seeing who your ex-girlfriend is dating now. Let me be frank and just state that this ****ing sucks, however, I'm not willing to give away my Oceanview apartment for a car, even a jet black GT3 with bucket seats and Cow swathed interior with red deviating stitching… Sob sob sob
Old 10-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Alex, so sad to hear that this may not work out for you. I know how much you wanted the car. Maybe when you post the pics someone here will come up with some clever idea for mitigating the situation, but no doubt that's a long shot as I'm sure you've considered everything.

I hope you'll hang around here for as long as you feel like it...if you go you will be missed, for sure.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Hang out,who cares...you know the car by now and can help others...That's what the forum should be all about anyway...
Old 10-06-2014, 03:24 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Terrible news ... so sorry to hear it. Sounds like you need a hydraulic ramp that lifts and slides like we use for the race car haulers, but yours will need to pivot too (at the intersection of driveway and garage floor). It could be done, but cost would be very high and ceiling height could be a problematic factor too. Don't give up just yet ... may be a clever solution from the RL crowd.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:33 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

LOL, I love the creativity, The lift would also have to stretch out into the tiny one way street, and then tilt both laterally and make a 90 degree turn to scoop up the car. Well, that made me smile for sure
Old 10-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's very sad Alex. Have you tried getting permission form the city to repave that steep section or better yet complain of car damage and have them repave it for you. I know it will be a hassle but it might be worth it for the car that you want. Just thinking out loud and might be worth a shot. Hope it works out for you in the end regardless.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:34 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That totally sucks. I just built a garage addition and was concerned as I have the opposite condition. Without the lift, the GT3 does scrape. High centering though would require some major custom work - removal and lowering of slab.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:36 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Sorry to hear. This must really suck. Right after you learned all there is to know about the buckets.
Post pics with the ocean view. I'm sure you'll hear opinions on whether it's worth denying yourself a sports car for it.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:58 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Sad to hear about your unfortunate situation, CAlexio.

I dug up one of your posts from last December.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
my incredibly generous upstairs neighbor, has decided to go carless... which means that for the forseeable future... I have two garage spots. The relevant point though.. is that his garage spot seems to have less of a diagonal incline, which could make it easier for me to be able to get this darn gt3 into the garage. Also, now I have a spot for my bikes and my everyday work car. Pretty cool to have this luxury in San Francisco. Hope he stays carless FOREVER!!

Here are pics of the incline.. the trouble has always been the "breakover" from the driveway to the garage entrance on the left side (of the left garage space which is mine). This breakover is so pronounced, that the previous guy in the garage couldn't get his Tesla sedan to raise high enough with it's suspension to get in without scraping. IMO, This would have been a deal-breaker with the 997 gt3.. let alone with the longer wheelbase 991

Now I have the garage on the right to use also... I'm thinking that with the flatter approach and the front wheel lift system I should be ok?... here is hoping. Larry Cable is coming over on the 14th to see if his 997 can make it.. but if any local SF guys with a 991 care to take a shot at it...
Old 10-06-2014, 04:00 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So sorry to hear this. I assume hell has to freeze over before you park it on the street, correct?
Old 10-06-2014, 04:08 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by hf1
Sorry to hear. This must really suck. Right after you learned all there is to know about the buckets.
Post pics with the ocean view. I'm sure you'll hear opinions on whether it's worth denying yourself a sports car for it.

daytime with my girl... sun morning breakfasts

nighttime... can see golden gate in distance, and alcatraz dead ahead.

tough to give this up for anything to be honest.

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
So sorry to hear this. I assume hell has to freeze over before you park it on the street, correct?
you are so correct sir... for so many many reasons.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

That is an shame!
As others have stated, you should hang around anyway as you have much to contribute.
I, for sure have benefited from some of your posts.

I hope a solution emerges where you can still get your GT3. If not, be happy in the knowledge that the universe has a strange way of sorting things out for the best.

Good luck and I hope you stay active on this forum.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Alex, at what point do you actually high center? Is it the transition from the street to the sidewalk with rear wheels still in the street, or as you begin to enter the garage itself with front wheels in the garage and rear wheels still on the sidewalk, or.......
Old 10-06-2014, 04:12 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
tough to give this up for anything to be honest.
Stunning view. It wins, hands down.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:14 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Wow dude - that SUCKS!!! How much higher does it need to be? How about a giant magnet that picks the car up and swings it in... oh wait a minute, isn't it aluminum? We'd have to go with a suction cup.

Think! Think! There's got to be a way!

Quick Reply: My garage