Sponsored by:

My garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 04:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Alex, at what point do you actually high center? Is it the transition from the street to the sidewalk with rear wheels still in the street, or as you begin to enter the garage itself with front wheels in the garage and rear wheels still on the sidewalk, or.......
After front wheels are both in, it touches on left side ab 6in or so after left wheel is on slab, and gets way worse after.. Looked like an extra 5 inch or so of height would have been needed to reach center between wheels, before rear wheels were high enough for there to be air under the car again. My downstairs neighbor used to share that spot, and he had a Tesla S sedan. I remember we had to lift it to it's highest setting in order to get in and out, and there was still a very light scrape on the left side underneath the chassis each time. Where the garage slightly wider, maybe a somewhat diagonal entry could've helped, but just by taking measurements, there's only 2.5 inches on each side available.

Who knows, maybe a car with a shorter wheelbase and a little more clearance, like a Boxster spider might fit. Anyway, it's a bit of a mooty point now. Somebody please order a jet black GT3 with a **** ton of leather in it, and take me for a ride. Make sure to order the steering column and leather, the extended dash, AND the air vents or I'll be very indignant ;-D
Old 10-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Nose lift and man up:
Old 10-06-2014, 04:36 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

So even the lift wouldn't save it?
Old 10-06-2014, 04:40 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Nose lift and man up:
Haha... Laughter is truly the best medicine, thank you.
Originally Posted by sin911
So even the lift wouldn't save it?
It's not even close.. Macca or Mike had pointed out recently that the lift only increases ride Heights at the centerpoint between the wheels by a miniscule amount. I honestly needed a good 3 inches higher I would estimate. The funny part is that two garages up the street a guy with a regular 997 has an incrementally flatter entry and a shorter wheelbase car with a higher right height and he comes in and out every day. A bit of luck of the draw.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:40 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

What about using something like Race Ramps http://www.raceramps.com/. You would probably need to cut/shape it to fit the contour of the driveway but I think it could work.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Haha... Laughter is truly the best medicine, thank you.
Who's laughing? I was dead serious... I know a guy- his skid plate let him rail-slide boulders in the Sahara in a 50 year old Porsche. It'd damn well get you into and out of your driveway. I'm probably blocks away from you in the city, and can make the intro.

Or you can just drive an SUV.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:53 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
What about using something like Race Ramps http://www.raceramps.com/. You would probably need to cut/shape it to fit the contour of the driveway but I think it could work.

Not legal in many places, but...
Old 10-06-2014, 04:55 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

CAlexio,

What if you added a qwik-lift to your garage, use it as a built in ramp. Might need the nose lift, but could solve the problem. Here's a picture of one.

Ryan
Old 10-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Since the problem actually occurs once the nose of the car is in the garage, what about something like this. I don't know how deep your garage is, but even if a commercial solution didn't work you could build something similar or have it built. The ramped section would keep the front end going up so the car didn't high center at the entrance . The break point of the ramp could be minimized by having the whole affair slightly sloped inside the garage; the car doesn't have to be parked completely level. The car is so low, garage height shouldn't be an issue. Just brainstorming....
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2014, 05:00 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Race Ramp has a modular solution you can, I see a lot of people at my tracking using them for formula cars, Radicals, Paganis etc..

Old 10-06-2014, 05:01 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Gotta love this thread.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Don't give up Alex! So many creative solutions here. If it costs you another $6-10K to figure out how to park your $150K car isn't it worth it?? To have the view, the girl, AND THE CAR!!?? There surely is a solution lurking here!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:12 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
The lip in question is $200 ish. get the lift and replace the lip once every 3 months if it bothers you. I doubt youll even replace it.

I garage in Manhattan and my 997.2 GT3 did not have the lift. I had to back into my parking garage in order not to hit. you should see the looks on the faces of 10 guys waiting on their Hondas and fords as I stopped traffic and all the attendants help me back in. it was the worst "sports car attention" I could ever get. every time I used the car same process. And anyone waiting wishing death upon me for being such a 1%er. Lets just say my 991 has the lift and im using it 10 times a day, especially in and out of my garage.

scraping is just a noise you hear when parking at home. think of it like your cheerleaders cheering as you arrive at home. like scrrrrrrrrape AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty sure his issue isn't scraping the nose, he's bottoming out - called "high siding" on one side of the car. Sounds like he's going over a hump at the entrance. Look at the picture in post #9, definitely a difficult entry.

I posted a picture of a qwik-lift which could be used to change the angle of the floor, alternately you could just build a false floor with 2x4s and 3/4" plywood, think car trailer floor.

Ryan
Old 10-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Pretty sure his issue isn't scraping the nose, he's bottoming out - called "high siding" on one side of the car. Sounds like he's going over a hump at the entrance. Look at the picture in post #9, definitely a difficult entry.

I posted a picture of a qwik-lift which could be used to change the angle of the floor, alternately you could just build a false floor with 2x4s and 3/4" plywood, think car trailer floor.

Ryan
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:16 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know it's a pain, but seems to me you could make some sort of ramp to lessen the incline out of plywood and some stringers or 2"x10" boards or some high impact plastic. One for each side of the car to roll up into the garage. You just pick them up and store in the garage. Great view !

Edit: seems some good solutions offered so far. Get the car...

Quick Reply: My garage