991 GT3 oil measurement

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Jeweller70
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 GT3 oil measurement

I know this has been done on UK forums

My oil reading is now not working at all. Keep getting yellow warning that info not available

I have tried running at idle, switching on and off, leaving for a minute, ensuring engine cover is closed, etc

Any other pointers?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like you're doing the right things; engine at operating temp, idling, on a level surface. If still not working, maybe there is something wrong with your level sensor.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:30 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeweller70
I know this has been done on UK forums

My oil reading is now not working at all. Keep getting yellow warning that info not available

I have tried running at idle, switching on and off, leaving for a minute, ensuring engine cover is closed, etc

Any other pointers?
I have also had trouble getting oil measurement readings. After opening the engine cover, I usually can't get an oil measurement reading until about three days and hundreds of miles later. Doesn't matter whether the oil temperature is 180, 200, or 220 degrees. After a few days and dozens of tries, then a reading comes up.

Last week, I got no reading for three days, including the third day being a full day at the track (New Hampshire Motor Speedway). First thing the next day, I got a reading of four bars (full). Just one run later, the reading was zero bars (minimum oil). I added a half quart and haven't been able to get a reading since then for the last seven days.

I drive around with the Multi-Function Display showing oil temperature and oil pressure at all times. That is my protection from letting the oil level too low. That is what I am trained to do in my private airplane.

I dropped my GT3 off at the dealer today to let them troubleshoot the problem. I will let you know what they report.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

I find the lack of a stupid dipstick in today's cars beyond ridiculous and retarded! What the f was wrong with a dipstick???!!!
Sensors will malfunction no matter what!
ENGINEERS,DO NOT TRY TO IMPROVE WHAT DOESN'T NEED IMPROVING!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:04 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Recent college grads are probably responsible for eliminating the dipstick. I don't get it either.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by neanicu
I find the lack of a stupid dipstick in today's cars beyond ridiculous and retarded! What the f was wrong with a dipstick???!!!
Sensors will malfunction no matter what!
ENGINEERS,DO NOT TRY TO IMPROVE WHAT DOESN'T NEED IMPROVING!!!
Originally Posted by silverrules
Recent college grads are probably responsible for eliminating the dipstick. I don't get it either.
Blame the people who are too lazy to check stuff on their cars. Another example of playing to the lowest common denominator....

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/22/t...n-dilatory-dr/
Old 09-17-2014, 09:16 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember reading, around the time that the 997s came out, that Porsche claimed that the electronic sensor was lighter than the dipstick and tube and that was a the reason that they went that way. They would certainly have had to provide the dipstick and a separate low level sensor, otherwise. Making the dipstick readily accessible could have created an interesting routing problem for the mid/rear engine installations. So, it's believable, IMO.

I have seen the yellow "oil level not available" twice: about the 3rd day that I had the car and once after about 1000 miles. In both cases, it cleared after about 24 hours. I don't believe I did anything unusual just prior to either time it happened. So, this I'll just keep watch on it. So far, my burn rate has been very low (2 bars in 2600 miles). If I was spending hours, at speed, on a track I might be more concerned. But, it's my daily driver/autocross car. It doesn't spend a lot of time at the top of the tach...

Scott
Old 09-17-2014, 09:33 PM
spooky
Intermediate

I was lucky enough to have had e46 M3 CSL for the last few years, reckon only car to match GT3 for sound!

Because of difficulty removing carbon fibre air intake it had electronic oil measurement, a short term and long term reading could be obtained. For both instructions were engine at operating temp, idling, on a level surface and for quick measurement press and hold Sport button. Long term measurement was on a rolling basis requiring anything up to approximately 75 miles but the more accurate. Too many short journeys and long term measurement may not be shown. Any added oil would take a while to show up so trick was a little at a time.

Although I'm yet to experience gt3 the oil level sounds a little familiar although more volatile & not as consistent. With CSL some do take the reading then add too much oil. Hopefully gt3 will be sorted better soon and realise it's not exactly the same but thought I'd share my CSL experience.

Ps Hi everyone btw Guess I should really have done introduction post/thread but bit late now. Hopefully share some pics and fun video from some uk/euro tracks next year, although will be at a bit of an easier pace than some of you lot!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:38 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Longer. You need to wait longer at idle, like 2-4 minutes if you get the "reading not available" screen.
Yes, this thing sucks. At a track day a few weeks ago, "oil at minimum" light came on. According to the new sticker, the difference between min and max is 500 mL. I added 400 mL to get it to one notch below max. Rechecked oil and it went up one notch only. Drove a session and remeasured oil (after idling for a few minutes to get another reading), same level. I was going to add more oil but have run out. Drove home, rechecked oil the next am and suddenly oil level now up 2 more notches. Not the best device for sure.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Blame the people who are too lazy to check stuff on their cars. Another example of playing to the lowest common denominator.... http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/22/t...n-dilatory-dr/
Mike,I believe you've used to be an engineer. Do not take my post personally. It's true : there are other factors involved and besides,even if engineers came up with this idea,it still had to pass with the bean counters.
There's a solution to all this madness : PROVIDE BOTH. And I've seen this in some cars. Electronic measurement for lazy people and dipstick for the rest. This way you can verify the accuracy of the electronic sensor.
Unfortunately,dipsticks are disappearing in automatic transmissions too. They call them " sealed units ". No need to ever change the oil. Yeah right!
Mercedes tried it until customers were bringing cars back with failed transmissions and burnt oil was found inside.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The same troubles with getting a dead reading occur with a stick and a remote tank (eg. 993.)
As for physical dipsticks, they bring problems and the rest of the car is fully electronic anyway. A dipstick introduces a whole in the oil system open to the atmosphere. This brings risks of leakage, mechanical failure, the introduction of condensation, the possibility of overfilling escaping above a hot engine, etc.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:20 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The same troubles with getting a dead reading occur with a stick and a remote tank (eg. 993.)
As for physical dipsticks, they bring problems and the rest of the car is fully electronic anyway. A dipstick introduces a whole in the oil system open to the atmosphere. This brings risks of leakage, mechanical failure, the introduction of condensation, the possibility of overfilling escaping above a hot engine, etc.

Well hot damn.

Literally.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:26 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The same troubles with getting a dead reading occur with a stick and a remote tank (eg. 993.) As for physical dipsticks, they bring problems and the rest of the car is fully electronic anyway. A dipstick introduces a whole in the oil system open to the atmosphere. This brings risks of leakage, mechanical failure, the introduction of condensation, the possibility of overfilling escaping above a hot engine, etc.
Come on Adam! No way!
They've been working just fine for 50 years or more...
Leakage? I've seen more leakage around electronic sensors. They too make a whole in the case for the connector to come out. They seal with an O-ring.
Escaping? How?
Condensation? Just as much as an oil cap introduces...
Mechanical failure? Of what?
Overfilling? Turns out people are actually overfilling BECAUSE OF malfunctioning electronics.
And I can go on...
Old 09-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by neanicu
Mike,I believe you've used to be an engineer. Do not take my post personally. It's true : there are other factors involved and besides,even if engineers came up with this idea,it still had to pass with the bean counters.
There's a solution to all this madness : PROVIDE BOTH. And I've seen this in some cars. Electronic measurement for lazy people and dipstick for the rest. This way you can verify the accuracy of the electronic sensor.
Unfortunately,dipsticks are disappearing in automatic transmissions too. They call them " sealed units ". No need to ever change the oil. Yeah right!
Mercedes tried it until customers were bringing cars back with failed transmissions and burnt oil was found inside.
"Used to be an engineer".....haha.... I'm not dead yet, Nick.

I posted the link because I thought it relevant to the discussion, not because I prefer electronic dipsticks. From an engineering perspective, there are probably multiple reasons for going one way or the other and since we're not privy to all of the design considerations involved all we can safely say is which type of measuring device we prefer or are most familiar with.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:42 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
"Used to be an engineer".....haha.... I'm not dead yet, Nick.
LOL!
Sorry,I meant to say retired engineer...

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 oil measurement