Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 oil measurement

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:45 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Well, 500 miles and I am pushing her a little and not much oil being burnt. Not too surprised because my 991 C2S loaner also did not burn as much oil as the 997 and only needed a little topping off at 3000 miles . My 997.2 turbo burned pretty good for the first 2000 miles needed a couple topping offs'.

But; my experience also, has taught me that each 911 is different but nothing out of the norm that has been conveyed on this site.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:46 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel manufacturers could have accommodated all by providing both, a sensor and a dip stick. This will satisfy the needs for both crowds the lazy and the **** picky ones like us. Will try to slip this idea into Porsche suggestion box next time I visit the factory! Mark
Old 09-18-2014, 04:20 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I researched this oil measurement problem on pistonheads and found that in a discussion there some genius by the name of "macca993" diagnosed the problem and reported a resolution.

Macca says that the problem cropped up with a software change to the ECU when the new motors were installed. The only way to get an oil measurement now requires you to 1) drive the car long enough to get the oil temp up to 90 C (194 F), then 2) park the car and let it run at idle for several minutes. Then you will get an oil measurement reading.

I tried this three times today and it works. Thanks Macca!

The master mechanic at the dealer says that his documentation says that the reading is dynamic, and thus you should be able to get a reading while driving. It seems that the software change has altered this capability.

If this is the way that it has to be, I think that Porsche should change the messages put out by the system. Instead of saying, "No information about oil level available at present", there should be two messages, depending on the circumstance. One should say, "Oil temperature must be at least 90C/194F before oil level can be checked". The other should say, "Oil level can only be checked when car is stopped and at idle".

Last edited by IvanBurns; 09-18-2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ivan further to my post on piston heads once you have established a reading using the technique I mention it will start to read easily wherever you call it up even when on the move. It would appear after the lid is opened and the oil added that a pre determined number of km need to be driven and the oil warmed before the reading will be activated. Some weird German engineer logic used here obviously!
Old 09-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Good info guys
Old 09-18-2014, 06:08 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macca
Ivan further to my post on piston heads once you have established a reading using the technique I mention it will start to read easily wherever you call it up even when on the move. It would appear after the lid is opened and the oil added that a pre determined number of km need to be driven and the oil warmed before the reading will be activated. Some weird German engineer logic used here obviously!
Yes, after an initial reading is established you can see a reading when on the move, but I wonder what triggers an update to the reading? Does it update on a regular basis as you are driving or does it only take new readings after the oil is hot and the engine has been at idle for some time? Would be nice to know.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ivan it's a really good question. My opinion is that it must need pre determined criteria to make an accurate reading. Interestingly for a gauge that is sensitive to 100ml ive always been perplexed why it reads the same wether engine is hot or cold! I suspect from talking to my tech the Germans out clevered themselves with this device as has in his opinion confused 991 customers since it was introduced...
Old 09-19-2014, 01:12 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
What the f was wrong with a dipstick???!!!
If you ever have the opportunity to watch a 993 owner try to measure their oil level you'll understand.

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
Macca says that the problem cropped up with a software change to the ECU when the new motors were installed. The only way to get an oil measurement now requires you to 1) drive the car long enough to get the oil temp up to 90 C (194 F), then 2) park the car and let it run at idle for several minutes. Then you will get an oil measurement reading.
It would appear after the lid is opened and the oil added that a pre determined number of km need to be driven and the oil warmed before the reading will be activated.
It's too bad we can't retrofit these features to all previous dry sump Porsches.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ivan it's a really good question. My opinion is that it must need pre determined criteria to make an accurate reading. Interestingly for a gauge that is sensitive to 100ml ive always been perplexed why it reads the same wether engine is hot or cold! I suspect from talking to my tech the Germans out clevered themselves with this device as has in his opinion confused 991 customers since it was introduced...
Hi guys:

Stop German engineer bashing
I am one too (fortunately not a car engeenier )

Have had the same issue. System got recalibrated and was ok. But now back to warning message. Will try now the "Macca procedure" next time out.
Even so my engine is using less oil than at the early stages. It has now 6 k km.

Was at Spa last weekend (2:43 on MPSS tires - very good tire, very controllable and quick; guess with Cup II maybe another 1 or 2 seconds to be found) and did not need any oil on track but tons of fuel. Even managed to have the engine on emergency mode due to low fuel. Luckily it was at the last chicane and I easily limped into the pits ....

Car is running flawless as 9 other 991 GT3 have beern running that weekend (was the Porsche Sports Cup held at Spa).

Even so, yesterday evening I had a big puff of smoke. This did not happen since quite a while but is not worrying me.

Take all good care and enjoy your cars

Greets

P
Old 09-20-2014, 07:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pete. Great to hear from you again. Of course the German engineer comments were just tongue in cheek :-).

Great to hear you are loving the car and clocking up the km! You will have more than me shortly!

I have bought a set of MPSS to put on in 2-3000km when my MPSC2 are finished. Can you tell me what pressures you found best at the track?
Old 09-21-2014, 08:00 AM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pete. Great to hear from you again. Of course the German engineer comments were just tongue in cheek :-).

Great to hear you are loving the car and clocking up the km! You will have more than me shortly!

I have bought a set of MPSS to put on in 2-3000km when my MPSC2 are finished. Can you tell me what pressures you found best at the track?
Hi Macca:

Always good to hear from the "Islander"!

I did lots of pressure adjustments at Spa. Air and track temperatures did change quite a lot during the day. Best results and feeling I did have at 2.1 bar front and 2.2 to 2.3 at rear. My feeling was that 2.4 at rear was already too much but even with 2.2 or 2.3 tires became too hot when I overcooked a bit without really increasing pressure in them. Also could be the difference to a MPSC2. I guess they can handle getting hot much better.

So cold pressure when leaving pits was around 1.6 bar f and r. I usually only need half a lap (especially at Spa where a lap is 7 km!) to warm things up (oil is warm anyhow!). I do try to avoid curbs so with cold tires ….
I usually attack right away and do not waste time trundling around which will not bring tires up on temp anyhow

Please also take into consideration that I have a track setting now (more camber and approx. 1 cm lower - sorry I do not have the exact values). Me thinks that the changed setup also helped to get the better feeling and improved times. Car was extremely predicable and I was able to control 4 wheel slides and steer with throttle - at least in the medium speed corners (say 80 to 120 km/h). In the higher speed corners (like Eau Rouge, double left = Pouhon and Blanchimont 2) I do not like to slide too much because that is a bit scary for me (after all I am not a Pro!).

Anyhow car always feels planted and it is tough for me to imagine how much better the MPSC2 will be or feel.

Hope this helps. Let me know you experience regards feeling of MPSC2 to MPSS.

Take care and enjoy the 9 k rpm machine

P
Old 04-07-2015, 04:01 PM
nicolasr
Track Day

Hi,

i have exactly the same problem. I left the car in my dealer and they didn't know how to solve it. They are going to report the issue to Germany.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:28 PM
SMGT3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I've owned my GT3 from 1/31/2015. I have never been able to get an oil reading. Did all the tricks that everyone has mentioned. How about Porsche make a oil measurement gauge that works without all the tricks?
Old 04-07-2015, 09:05 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

my car said low oil .... i stopped and viewed the filling area (wish there was a better description of how much it holds.. how much low to high is.. etc.

i added 300ml and then it said "no info available" for 2 days while i was timid and scared about the level. finally it came up and said "oil level normal" when trying to check.

i wish:

it would give a warning when getting low (maybe when 3/4 low on the gauge... versus bottom of gauge)

it would let you check the level once you add some oil...

it would tell you on a sticker near the filling area what the amount is from the low to high (600ml? 1000ml? 2000ml?)

maybe give us a warning that says "please insert 200ml of oil when time allows" and then a "insert 500ml of oil immediately"

it's just all very vague.....
Old 04-17-2015, 08:36 PM
nicolasr
Track Day

Default Awful Porsche service

I continue with my problem. The car oil measurement system doesn't work. The dealer told me they need 4 or 5 days to repair. The real thing is they have no idea about what happens. I have to call them again because they told me they were going to report the issue to Germany. It'a a lie, they didn't. They don't have availability of a substitution car. My car it's pretty new. A new GT3, december 2014. I can not understand this . It's a shame!!

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 oil measurement