Sponsored by:

991 GT3 7 speed Manual trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:47 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts
Default 991 GT3 7 speed Manual trans

I was at first thinking a poll but then thought we would all post comments anyway and that's what I'd like to do.

The Jag F-type to manual thread got me thinking.

Not that any one group can arbitrarily change the direction a manufacturer evolves but here's the question. I realize its all hypothetical.

For all the current owners of 991 GT3's, if you had the option when ordering your car, 7 speed manual or PDK-S what would have been your choice? I think this is a good question for owners that now have real world miles on their cars. Main street or the track. Even better would be a few words from fellows who now own a 991 and have or still own a 997.1 or .2. Could you imagine your 991 with a manual trans and would it be a more enjoyable experience? The rear wheel steering and a 9k rpm redline.

I myself have spent hundreds of hours attempting to master heel toe, my smooth lines and the ever so important entry and exit through the apex. When I hop in a car with a master I'm always amazed and humbled on how much I still don't know. I also told myself I'd never own an "auto" sports car and here I am with a 991 S with PDK and am a convert. Well, as much as you could call one.

I really enjoy overriding in auto ALL the time and find myself reaching for the left paddle to downshift driving my other cars. Silly I know.

I find myself asking if the 991 3 was available with a MT would I go that direction knowing what I know now and how amazing the PDK-S is.

To summarize, the question is to all that own a 991 GT3, would you have ordered the car with a manual trans if you could have?

The adding a 997.1 to the stable for an "analog" experience was also an interesting thread read.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

I would get PDK all day. I love the art of heel and toe and consider myself an pretty decent foot. But when I look at all my in-car footage, downshifting while under heavy braking was always my weakest link. With PDK, I suspect that will be a thing of the past. I would actually prefer a sequential with auto-blip vs. pdk though.. as it offers a nice balance of involvement, but not too complicated to impede during heavy braking.. from say 5th to 2nd...

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 09-05-2014 at 02:41 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:18 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Knowing what I know now, definitely PDK-S. Manual is history.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:43 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. This is really all I'm looking for. I guess I could have just said if a 2014/15 GT3 fellow could snap his fingers and make his car a manual would he? That would have been a better question.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:49 AM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a great question. I was always a manual only guy. Before having a PDK (or other automated dual clutch system), I would have only considered the manual. I almost did not buy the RS5, because it did not gave a manual option. But the RS5 has convinced me that PDK type systems are overall much much better, even if it is an equalizer of sorts. Of course you lose a little of the driver evolvement and associated emotions, but the better and more reliable precision makes up for it. The only complaint I had with the RS5 was there was no way to "push in the clutch" in order to rev the motor for some reason (more of a fun factor than anything), and Porsche has resolved that. Based specifically on this 991 GT3 and the reviews the PDK is getting, I would probably pick the PDK over the manual if it was available.

In the Porsche manufacturing world, the question is more, how many sales are we going to lose by not offering a manual option, meaning who will stop buying our product? Not many. And those few are more than made up for in sales to the masses. And most likely, those few will go buy another Porsche product such has a Cayman GTS or 911S, so they have lost very little.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:52 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

If I'd had a choice, it would have been a tough one. I love manuals but had PDK experience and was impressed. In hindsight, though, I agree with the comments above that PDK-S is right for this car. I wouldn't switch.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:00 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

This is what I'm talking about. It's an honest question because it can only be hypothetical. We now have no choice so we don't have to talk ourselves into the PDK. It's simply would you change it if you could and keep the rest of the car exactly the same. Since this car is so much more comfortable to drive daily over the 997.2 I just wonder if I'm missing a tiny part of that "fun factor" that AZ Audi mentioned. I'll be the first to admit I pull both paddles at the stoplight from time to time.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If I wasnt going to use this car on the track (it wasnt my intention as I have spent 6 figures on making my 993 a good track and general usage car!) I would have in all honesty said manual. Part of that decision would have been resale value (as Im sure cars with stick would have been least favoured by 991 GT3 audience when new) but most simply from the engagement it brings on the road regardless of speed. I too have spent much time trying to become more proficient at heel/toe etc over the years and still love it when I get it just perfect.

However one outing on the track with the 991 GT3 has me hooked and Im about to take it (and the 993 double sessions) to the track for our annual track tour. Ill know more afterwards but having just spent 8K+ on rebuilding a G50 gearbox and diff (now GT internals) and having experienced the huge reserve and balance the paddle box allowed on the track I would have to say that if I was buying this car for plenty of track work which is increasingly looking like it will be the case I would choose PDK-S all day. Apart from the obvious mechanical sympathy and insurance it affords I just found that it freed me up to focus on my lines and braking and halved the "risk of error" on track which then allowed me to relax a bit more and enjoy the session whilst having a very wide envelope of performance and handling to explore with so much in reserve I think I can become a much smoother and faster driver in this car that I had anticipated...
Old 09-05-2014, 05:04 AM
Gros Chien
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

991 Carrera GTS with 7 speed manual on its way :-)
Old 09-05-2014, 05:26 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm driving a rented 90hp fiat 500 around st tropez at the moment, i found myself in a really hot turn where I needed both hands on the wheel and i realized for the first time how utterly compromised my racing line was due to my inability to keep both hands on the wheel.

I'm not sure if this related but I missed this forum while on vacation so I had to check in.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gros Chien
991 Carrera GTS with 7 speed manual on its way :-)
Yip but it won't be a GT3 and quite honestly that 7 speed manual is far below where it should be IMO
Old 09-05-2014, 05:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm driving a rented 90hp fiat 500 around st tropez at the moment, i found myself in a really hot turn where I needed both hands on the wheel and i realized for the first time how utterly compromised my racing line was due to my inability to keep both hands on the wheel. I'm not sure if this related but I missed this forum while on vacation so I had to check in.
Alex - hope your holidays go well. Love the post you made regards stealth cars. As a former Audi RS2 owner totally get your point. Never been big on wings either but no option with the GT3. White seems subtle enough but I'm liking your mahogany idea too. Italians have exemplary taste when it comes three things in my mind - shoes, handbags and bike/car designs! I take it your not a handbag kind of guy so in pretty sure whatever you choose aesthetics wise for you GT3 will be just perfect!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

street or track, in 991gt3 i take pdk-s
if i wanted stick, 997.2RS
Old 09-05-2014, 08:40 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

I do not own a 991GT3 and haven't driven one either. I can tell you that I will drive it at some point because I'm a Porsche guy and curious by nature. Plus,besides being a controversial car it is also beautiful.
You've asked owner's opinions,but you knew others will contribute on such hot topic.
Call me old fashioned,crazy or do not take my opinion into consideration,but I can tell you the gates of Hell will open before I own any sort of automatic in a sports car(no matter how good it is),as long as I still have use of my left leg!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

As usual all the people hating pdk when introduced now everyone loving it.Happens with every change no matter what.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 7 speed Manual trans