Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PDK-S without a doubt! It's amazing.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:49 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
As usual all the people hating pdk when introduced now everyone loving it.Happens with every change no matter what.
Exaggerate much?
Old 09-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Need to account for self-selection bias in a survey like this, since those less enamored with PDK-S may be less motivated to say so (to others and themselves).
Old 09-05-2014, 10:02 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I do not own a 991GT3 and haven't driven one either. I can tell you that I will drive it at some point because I'm a Porsche guy and curious by nature. Plus,besides being a controversial car it is also beautiful.
You've asked owner's opinions,but you knew others will contribute on such hot topic.
Call me old fashioned,crazy or do not take my opinion into consideration,but I can tell you the gates of Hell will open before I own any sort of automatic in a sports car(no matter how good it is),as long as I still have use of my left leg!
LOL Nick, change is good. Try it out and let us know what you think.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:46 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I will not drive my own GT3 until my January delivery date (with lightweight sport seats option!!! yaaaahhh) but I have driven a friends GT3 on the track and frankly we will all miss the manual and all the satisfaction of nailing a perfect heel/toe....all enthusiast drivers will, but there is not one person that will drive a manual faster than a PDK! Same car, same driver it just isn't a fair comparison. I find myself very stubborn, preaching like my dad when it comes to ranting on about what a manual means to me and how upset I am that they took the choice away from us? After my track time I am just fine with the PDK, yes it is something different and it is what it is and that means quicker lap times, period.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:25 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I will not drive my own GT3 until my January delivery date (with lightweight sport seats option!!! yaaaahhh) but I have driven a friends GT3 on the track and frankly we will all miss the manual and all the satisfaction of nailing a perfect heel/toe....all enthusiast drivers will, but there is not one person that will drive a manual faster than a PDK! Same car, same driver it just isn't a fair comparison. I find myself very stubborn, preaching like my dad when it comes to ranting on about what a manual means to me and how upset I am that they took the choice away from us? After my track time I am just fine with the PDK, yes it is something different and it is what it is and that means quicker lap times, period.

Very true and I hope that January for you comes quickly my friend.
I'm super impatient hence the 991S in my avatar purchased last September. I just couldn't wait for the 14's to come soon enough and right when I was in position the stop sale occurred.

For men, (not to exclude the other sex but the Sabines of the world are few and far between) we are competitive by nature and this is even more so when we get to the track. My thougths are there will always be a faster guy on the track even in a less superior car. With that said should I be splitting hairs by focusing on the difference of a few seconds lap time between the 997 GT3 or RS and the 991 GT3?

Perhaps I'll be happier going with a manual 997 car if I'm able to modify that competitive edge in me and really concentrate on the art and not the stop watch.

We all get caught up in the journalists 0-60 times and trap speed as well as the Ring time. That's natural and what makes the internet racer in all of us. It also makes for good forum entertainment. Maybe I'm getting to deep. Maybe I need to pick up a 964 and go the Macca route (on a more restrictive budget of course ).

I just like the thought of being able to drive this finest iteration of the GT3 with a proper manual trans and not worry about being the fastest guy around the track that day. Just a little daydreaming I guess.

Thanks for contributing to the thread everyone. I thought it was a interesting topic given it most likely will never happen. Cheers.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:25 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Street: Manual
Track: PDK S

Last edited by WernerE; 09-05-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:35 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I forgot, best part about no manual transmission option.....no endless nights second guessing which transmission I choose when I ordered ha ha
Old 09-05-2014, 11:35 PM
prestonr2010
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 996 GT3 as well as a 991 GT3, which to obtain I had to relinquish a perfect Cayman R. The 996 is an amazing car, it reminds me of the first time on a really good carbon fiber road bike - light, twitchy, fun, fast and yes a bit scary! Cayman R probably the best car for that $ just sublime. Hate to see it go. It was PDK. The 991 GT3, well really, if you have not driven, please do. I have the BMW M3 2008 version of PDK my daily driver ( actually both Getrag if you really want to know - Porsche too....) but it pales in comparison. This GT3 transmission is just so darn perfect. Hit it like a sequential and it sings. I think this car, and while I have driven and owned many great cars I'm not like a Top Gear person who drives everything out there I will admit, is probably the best I have ever encountered. It's hard to imagine anything better, really. I guess by the numbers 458 special and Veyron and misc. other supers are faster off the line but really, not by much (I would love to have a bigger garage for a few of those and maybe will....) Anyhow, I feel lucky to be in this owner's group.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:44 PM
prestonr2010
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=WernerE;11628356]Street: Manual
Track: PDK S

Anyone hear of the latest rumor about Porsche's plans to auction approx. twenty to forty 2014 GT3s to U.S. dealers in the next few weeks? These cars will have 10 - 30 miles with new engines. All come with full factory warranties, etc. but the title will reportedly wear a Lemon Law sticker.[/QUOTE

No. At the present time there might be 1 or 2 cars available in the US. They seem to be sold as soon as offered. Why would they have the lemon law sticker? The new engine makes them the exact car that would ship with a 2015 sticker, which by the way seems to be oversubscribed. Don't know your motive for posting this but whatever.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:14 AM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is still interesting the see that the only people swearing off PDKs or similar, are those that have not driven/owned one.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:15 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sccchiii
I forgot, best part about no manual transmission option.....no endless nights second guessing which transmission I choose when I ordered ha ha

Lol.

Isn't that the truth. PCCB's, Chrono, deviated sticthing?? All amazing problems to have! Sport buckets? Axle lift?? Talk about losing sleep!
Old 09-06-2014, 12:24 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by az audi
It is still interesting the see that the only people swearing off PDKs or similar, are those that have not driven/owned one.

I think your thoughts in your post about being on the fence about the RS5 were spot on. Biggest mistake my buddy ever made 8 years ago was let me drive his 996 GT3. I was hooked. The PDK in the 991 is amazing already. The PDK-S is an over the top improvement. One could drive a 991 Carerra PDK and may not totally be satisfied until they have sampled the PDK-S.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 7 speed Manual trans