Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 7 speed Manual trans

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:25 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What Macca said. If just street, manual. If mainly, some or a little track, PDK-S 100%
Old 09-05-2014, 10:44 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I know we have all said these things before but I guess in a little different context. I really feel like this car 991 GT3, has a lot going for it and with this engine the PDK-S is just that good. No regrets, Macca is spot on the 7MT is not what it should be and certainly not the gearbox that is in the 997.2 GT3. I think that a manual gearbox is fantastic and look forward to tracking a car again with a good lever. I am just looking to go a bit more retro. I think the older cars with a manual give that much more of a different experience. I couldn't imagine a pdk-S in a 993 or a 996 GT3 nor would I want it. Different experience and right now I am enjoying the modern one in the 991 GT3........but I'm still looking for a nice older model to enjoy that third pedal!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:47 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had the choice upon order time, I'd ordered a manual. NO QUESTION.

But now owning the PDK-S, I realize that would have been a mistake. The transmission/engine combination is brilliant. Period.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:27 AM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 51 Posts

I've been rowing the gears for 30 years now. Mustangs, Vettes, BMW's, and five 911's. In my last 911, a 997.2 Turbo, i started feeling as though the engine was not married as well to the transmission as in previous models. It just didn't feel great. I felt like the engine and entire car was evolving and I was still manually pressing a clutch and finding a gear. Definitely engaging, but it just didn't feel right. My Audi S6 changed me. I went from hating Automatics, to liking them. I know the GT3 PDK-S is superior to my S6 DCT, so it should be even better. My GT3 is due in November and if I had the option to order it with a 7-speed, I would not. I will still however continue to buy and desire manual transmissions in roadsters/convertibles and muscle cars, like the mustang, but to me the new 911's are more suited to PDK.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:44 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Porsche should offer a choice...make all consumers happy
Old 09-05-2014, 11:57 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Steve Jobs once said " we need to show the consumer what they want ". It seems Porsche is following suit brilliantly.
Whether advanced technologies in software and hardware are related to the pure joy of driving depends on each individual. There's a fine line between new technology to help or facilitate a process or action and the sensors a human body are accessing for stimulation.

And there isn't anybody more qualified to offer an opinion than the man who's been living hidden under a rock since this video :

He is decreasing the stimulation for those sensors he's talking about with each and every new generation.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

YES! I would have ordered a manual if it was available.

Originally Posted by MarcusG
I was at first thinking a poll but then thought we would all post comments anyway and that's what I'd like to do.

The Jag F-type to manual thread got me thinking.

Not that any one group can arbitrarily change the direction a manufacturer evolves but here's the question. I realize its all hypothetical.

For all the current owners of 991 GT3's, if you had the option when ordering your car, 7 speed manual or PDK-S what would have been your choice? I think this is a good question for owners that now have real world miles on their cars. Main street or the track. Even better would be a few words from fellows who now own a 991 and have or still own a 997.1 or .2. Could you imagine your 991 with a manual trans and would it be a more enjoyable experience? The rear wheel steering and a 9k rpm redline.

I myself have spent hundreds of hours attempting to master heel toe, my smooth lines and the ever so important entry and exit through the apex. When I hop in a car with a master I'm always amazed and humbled on how much I still don't know. I also told myself I'd never own an "auto" sports car and here I am with a 991 S with PDK and am a convert. Well, as much as you could call one.

I really enjoy overriding in auto ALL the time and find myself reaching for the left paddle to downshift driving my other cars. Silly I know.

I find myself asking if the 991 3 was available with a MT would I go that direction knowing what I know now and how amazing the PDK-S is.

To summarize, the question is to all that own a 991 GT3, would you have ordered the car with a manual trans if you could have?

The adding a 997.1 to the stable for an "analog" experience was also an interesting thread read.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:20 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

I like all of the honest responses. I didn't start the thread to help myself make some kind of decision one way or another since we don't have that choice with the 991. I just wanted to get a real feel for how everyone felt about the car since ownership. Thanks guys.

Race7117. I completely understand how you feel. That's why I chimed in on your "analog" thread and mentioned it here. I'd like to have a 991 along with a 997.2 GT3 in my stable but together with my other cars in the stable that won't be a reality right now. I drove a .2 that Beverly Hills McLaren had a while back. I pulled up in my 991 S so I wasn't harassed at all. He just handed me the keys.
I have little seat time in the 997 but it was so raw and the gearbox felt right.

neanicu,

Thanks for the video. That's pretty much a statement and not just a video clip. It really makes sense and for a manufacturer like Porsche it just shows that you can't fight progress. Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson was a great read. I'm afraid without Jobs pushing technology Apple will continue to flounder creatively.

Macca, as usual you nailed it on the head. While Porsche offers a MT in the 991 Carrera it isn't what we have with the 997. I believe Porsche has offered the MT in the Carrera for the same reason they offer cup holders for us. It's just a gesture to pacify the crowd. I've driven the MT in the 991 and I can tell you I just don't like it. I know there are 991 Carrera guys that love the MT in their cars and the gearbox does loosen up with miles but it's still not what we have in the 997 GT3. The fact that the case is the PDK case just solidifies the writing on the wall.

To summarize I can see most love the PDK-S and it's here to stay. I think it'll be a race between my friend Chris and I who will get into a 991 3 first.

I really love the emotion that the 997 GT3 offers across the board. This is for most of us who never will be able to extract even 95% of what the 991 GT3 can offer on the track. With that in mind I feel the resale will continue to be high with the 997 GT3 and the 991 14 or 15 will continue to be in high demand as well.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:30 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I do not own a 991GT3 and haven't driven one either. I can tell you that I will drive it at some point because I'm a Porsche guy and curious by nature. Plus,besides being a controversial car it is also beautiful.
You've asked owner's opinions,but you knew others will contribute on such hot topic.
Call me old fashioned,crazy or do not take my opinion into consideration,but I can tell you the gates of Hell will open before I own any sort of automatic in a sports car(no matter how good it is),as long as I still have use of my left leg!
Lol, great post. PDK is excellent but death of MT is sad.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:48 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive a 991 GT3 PDK and the world allll changes. Amazing car.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Love the PDK-S and I am a Manual guy. It is truly quite amazing.

But - I do not track my cars so I probably would of opted for the Manual if the option existed.

But - Your question has me hesitating now - It would be a decision right down to the last possible secone.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

From a manufacturing standpoint to build multiple transmission will drive up the price to compensate for choices. It's cost effective to force the choice, phase out the manuals which is clearly the case look at the other manufactures. In addition the goal was to make a faster car, and the PDK made that happen thus here we are. I'm debating on keeping my 991S it's a manual vs. My 2013 M5 which is DCT, and it's brilliant. However BMW caved to M owners and produced a manual which is slower, and 560 HP's and 500 pounds of torque the wheels will not stay planted on the ground because it was made for DCT. I'm good with the PDK, and my buddy has a RS 4.0 and he loves the PDK in the GT3
Old 09-05-2014, 06:43 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed

But now owning the PDK-S, I realize that would have been a mistake. The transmission/engine combination is brilliant. Period.
+1. I typed almost the exact same thing before reading your reply, Frayed.

All I can say to the guys who are dead-set against 2 pedals (not mentioning any names, neanicu ) : try to keep an open mind, guys. I too was very anti-paddles but took a chance on this car and oh man it’s awesome. Last year I would’ve ordered a conventional manual 100% if it was offered. Today: nope. It’s a modern car and PDK-S suits it brilliantly.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:13 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

^ me too
Old 09-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed

Precisely. I have to believe the vast majority of GT3 buyers would have selected a manual if given a choice. I don't think I would have even debated this one.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 7 speed Manual trans