Sponsored by:

issues encountered with your GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 04:42 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I assume you do not have the larger 23 gallon tank, correct? The low fuel light should have come on if you were that low. If you don't have the large tank, then your gauge may be off. If you do, the gauge sucks and that is, dare I say, normal. After I fill up, it does not start to move at all until after I have driven 80-100 miles!! Once at 2/4 level, it moves a lot faster.
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nick, the fuel gauge does go down very slowly for the first half of it's travel. I'm guessing it has to do with the shape of the 26 gallon fuel tank. A much better indicator for remaining fuel is the range reading in the trip computer. BTW I experienced the same phenomenon with the first engine; it has nothing to do with your other gauges or the possibility that they might be off after the engine replacement.
It will depend on what size tank. Nick said the small tank
Old 08-24-2014, 05:05 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

All - picked her up yesterday but only was able to put 20 miles on her because we got some rainstorms in Chicago and very humid. I did get a chance to do about 75 miles this morning but I will post my impressions later. I will say that yesterday I was a little disappointed but I will explain later. But today after getting some time in her I was far from disappointed but quite amazed. You really have to get used to how the power is delivered in this car. The Porsche engineers are brilliant - but they wrap it in a different package than any other sports car company. - more to come.

Couple questions:

- Got caught in the rain yesterday and pulled in to garage. Noticed that got some humidity in the back taillights. Did eventually clear up. Any issues there?
- The flap open around 3800-4200 rpm. is that about right.
-Have noticed (0) smoke an initial start up but car has not sit for more than 12 hours so that could change
- I do not see any engine replacement stickers on the car and did not receive any thing from the dealer
- My main concern is I have not seen any blue warm up light - not even this morning on start-up. It did hit my mind did they even replace the engine and did they upgrade to this blue light. Now- car warns up to 200 -225 pretty quickly( 5 min) compared to my C2S loaner which took like 10 min. But then they gauge just stays put and does not move - I am going to call the Dealer about this blue light and confirmation on engine replacement - any thought??
Old 08-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

It will depend on what size tank. Nick said the small tank
I missed that part. My bad. I still suspect that the gauge behavior is normal and has absolutely nothing to do with the engine replacement.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the same as well. Putting gentle pressure on the speaker grill with one's hand eliminates it, which tells me the grill need to be cushioned or more tightly set. I may try to pry them out and see if I can place a thin weather stripping to stop the vibration.
918man & Sam. I think it may be something like that. I would thing its pretty easy to sort out which is why I hadnt bothered with it yet but interested to know what the fix is when you find out....
Old 08-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jimmy. Fogging of the rear lights is a well known phenomena with the LED rear lights in the 991 generation and nothing to be worried about (nor nothing you can do about it). I had it happen after engine replacement. Took the light out and used a hairdrier as others had done on the 991 board and it went away for a few days but then on a very cold morning at the track it came back after parking up. Was a bit miffed about it till my mate turned up with his 991 GT3 and exactly the same thing happened! Then a 991S turned up and after a hot run around the track in teh cold same thing happened again. They all said it happens after a run in the wet to so its totally normal apparently...
Old 08-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
- I do not see any engine replacement stickers on the car and did not receive any thing from the dealer
- My main concern is I have not seen any blue warm up light - not even this morning on start-up. It did hit my mind did they even replace the engine and did they upgrade to this blue light. Now- car warns up to 200 -225 pretty quickly( 5 min) compared to my C2S loaner which took like 10 min. But then they gauge just stays put and does not move - I am going to call the Dealer about this blue light and confirmation on engine replacement - any thought??
The car should already have stickers; under the right hand edge of the engine lid at the back, in the passenger side door jamb near the hinges, and under the right hand side lip of the frunk lid. Whether they are the replacement stickers or not is another question. As a Cat A I didn't get my stickers until about 10 days after they re-delivered the car but it might be different with Cat B people. Maybe they've already been attached. Once you get your engine certificate it will show both the old and new numbers and match the numbers on the stickers.

You probably know where to look for the blue warm up light, but if you don't it's easy to miss. See the pic below, next to the time of day read out. It should stay on until the engine reaches about 113 Deg F. If it's not there, contact your dealer.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mike in CA; 08-24-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:54 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

I have the extended tank and I thought 16.9 was its capacity. No wonder the light didn't go on. My trip computer was showing 150 miles remaining. Obviously, I made a mistake.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Mike, - Makes sense now - My sales guy and I had that specific screen hidden. Instead I opted for other screens to be displayed. If the exact screen you are showing up there is not checked off then I would not see the blue engine light??

Also - is 388-4200 normal for the flaps to open up?
Old 08-24-2014, 07:16 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Jimmy,
Congrats on getting your car, waiting for your review (and pics). You should have at least gotten the certificate of engine replacement now. Flaps open at different RPMs, depending on how you drive. They usually open a little below 3,800 if you drive in a spirited way. For the blue light, it goes off at 115 degrees so if it's warm in Chicago and you started the car with an oil temp of, say upper 90s, it'll climb uo to and past 115 quickly so as Mike said, pay close attention to it next time you start the car. Living in TX, this happens if I drive the car at nigh then in the am, too much heat retention and hot garage.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Mike, - Makes sense now - My sales guy and I had that specific screen hidden. Instead I opted for other screens to be displayed. If the exact screen you are showing up there is not checked off then I would not see the blue engine light??

Also - is 388-4200 normal for the flaps to open up?
Jimmy, the area on the screen where the warm up light is displayed is called the "Lower Line". It's possible to set it to display time, ambient temperature, or both, and it's also where the icon for the blue engine light is located.

That segment of screen is always visible regardless of what's displayed in the sections above it. It's not possible AFAIK to hide the "Lower Line" such that the engine light wouldn't be visible.

BTW, you don't have to actually start the engine to see the blue warm up light. Just turn the ignition to the ON position and it should show up as long as the engine temp is below about 113 deg. If it's not showing up under the conditions I describe, I'm pretty sure something is wrong.

I think Sam answered your flap question above. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:45 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

The car should already have stickers; under the right hand edge of the engine lid at the back, in the passenger side door jamb near the hinges, and under the right hand side lip of the frunk lid. Whether they are the replacement stickers or not is another question. As a Cat A I didn't get my stickers until about 10 days after they re-delivered the car but it might be different with Cat B people. Maybe they've already been attached. Once you get your engine certificate it will show both the old and new numbers and match the numbers on the stickers.

You probably know where to look for the blue warm up light, but if you don't it's easy to miss. See the pic below, next to the time of day read out. It should stay on until the engine reaches about 113 Deg F. If it's not there, contact your dealer.
The stickers were already on my Cat B car when I picked it up at the dealer. The engine was replaced in Atlanta, and then it was sent back to the Port of Houston for PDI. My dealer said the stickers were installed at the Port, and yes, they are in the locations you indicated, and they match the new engine number on the engine certificate.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by jfr0317
The stickers were already on my Cat B car when I picked it up at the dealer. The engine was replaced in Atlanta, and then it was sent back to the Port of Houston for PDI. My dealer said the stickers were installed at the Port, and yes, they are in the locations you indicated, and they match the new engine number on the engine certificate.
Just out of curiosity John, were both sets of stickers still in place side by side, can you tell if they applied the new over the old, or did they remove the old and just the new ones there?
Old 08-24-2014, 07:56 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Just out of curiosity John, were both sets of stickers still in place side by side, can you tell if they applied the new over the old, or did they remove the old and just the new ones there?
Mike, the new ones are on top of the old ones.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:58 PM
918man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
918man & Sam. I think it may be something like that. I would thing its pretty easy to sort out which is why I hadnt bothered with it yet but interested to know what the fix is when you find out....
I am going to dealer on saturday. I ll post fix
Old 08-24-2014, 08:03 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by 918man
I am going to dealer on saturday. I ll post fix
If they say the rattle is from the speaker grill and if they remove it to fix it, can you ask them how they did it? The grill is large and I didn't want to force the pry tools so couldn't get it out.

Quick Reply: issues encountered with your GT3