Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 production ending

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 12:05 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I placed my order and put the deposit in May. Production date March 2015.
Worried with the rumours I requested confirmation whether my car will be delivered or not.
Unfortunately from the answer my dealer got from Porsche Germany I understand that it doesn't necessarily need to be produced. My understanding is that they still don't know whether the RS will take over the production line of the GT3 or will be manufactured in parallel. I am afraid it is going to be bad news for me.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Unbelievable. I've been sad all afternoon. I can't explain it
My wife said she felt as if she had lost a friend. I imagine there are quite a few people who feel that way.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
IMy understanding is that they still don't know whether the RS will take over the production line of the GT3 or will be manufactured in parallel. I am afraid it is going to be bad news for me.
This doesn't make sense at all, the production line produces all the variants of the 911 and boxster at the sometime. I did ED back in october and during the factor tour we saw two GT3 RSR's on the line with full cages. These cars were being built along side the turbo's, boxsters, coupes and cabs. The line is very well organized and efficient. The RSRS's were being pulled off the line right before the dash was to be installed. Since the gear used to install the dash wouldn't work with the cage in place.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:18 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
This doesn't make sense at all, the production line produces all the variants of the 911 and boxster at the sometime. I did ED back in october and during the factor tour we saw two GT3 RSR's on the line with full cages. These cars were being built along side the turbo's, boosters, coupes and cabs. The line is very well organized and efficient. The RSRS's were being pulled off the line right before the dash was to be installed. Since the gear used to install the dash wouldn't work with the cage in place.
That was my understanding as well. Interesting that some people are reporting that they would "replace" one product with another. Did they replace a 911 variant when they added the Targa? Doesn't really seem to make any sense, especially given the high budget spent on development and marketing. While I think the whole engine thing is well known here, I don't think most Porsche buyers really have any clue.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:16 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

All the makes are made on the same line if you have ever seen the factory floor. They don't stop one "line" to produce another. As posted above all variants are made on the same line, even Cup cars up to a point on the line and then they migrate over to their specific area.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:41 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's been very depressing. 10 days or so ago I saw what I think was his last movie, 'The angriest man in Brooklyn". Worse watching.

Edit; Not sure where did the quotes go. This is about Robin Williams, obviously.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:00 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a lot of us are in the same boat regarding Robin Williams. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but while we're on the subject, Rita Wilson (i.e. Tom Hanks' wife) shared the following photo and write-up earlier today:

What to write about my dear, sweet friend Robin Williams...
We lived in the same apartment building in the mid 80's. He was always laughing, smiling, ready to entertain. If I ran into him in the parking lot it could end up being an hour of ...hilarity. When he was married to Marsha, we would see them on the slopes with their kids. He liked being outdoors and doing sporty things. We, finally, were able to work together on a film called Old Dogs. It's always disconcerting to work with someone you so admire, it's surreal, and man, did he make Kelly Preston, John Travolta and me laugh. At the end of the movie he gave me a signed and bound script of Old Dogs. It was so thoughtful! I liked sober Robin. I appreciated that he was feeling more calm and more centered in the years around the filming of Old Dogs. The photo below is the last time we saw Robin, a few months ago. We were at dinner with mutual dear friends from the Bay Area. He seemed good, was working on his series, was happily remarried, his kids were doing well. At the dinner, I noticed how Tom and Robin were dressed almost identically, down to the same eyeglasses and black shirts with jeans. They improvised that they were a team, or brothers or something called Skippy and Dan. This went on for awhile and made us all laugh, a lot. When we got in the car and said our goodbyes, I never imagined it would be so final. Tell the people you love that you love them. Forgive the past, don't put off saying what you need to say to someone you love. And if you are struggling with depression call The National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) There are counselors available 24/7 to help. Robin will be missed deeply. Let us remember the joy he gave to people, the depth and humanity he was able to communicate through his own access to his pain and though his art. God bless Robin, his children and his family.
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 129 Posts

^ eilig, thank you for posting that. So sad, so missed, so true!
Old 08-12-2014, 04:13 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by eilig
I think a lot of us are in the same boat regarding Robin Williams. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but while we're on the subject, Rita Wilson (i.e. Tom Hanks' wife) shared the following photo and write-up earlier today:

What to write about my dear, sweet friend Robin Williams...
We lived in the same apartment building in the mid 80's. He was always laughing, smiling, ready to entertain. If I ran into him in the parking lot it could end up being an hour of ...hilarity. When he was married to Marsha, we would see them on the slopes with their kids. He liked being outdoors and doing sporty things. We, finally, were able to work together on a film called Old Dogs. It's always disconcerting to work with someone you so admire, it's surreal, and man, did he make Kelly Preston, John Travolta and me laugh. At the end of the movie he gave me a signed and bound script of Old Dogs. It was so thoughtful! I liked sober Robin. I appreciated that he was feeling more calm and more centered in the years around the filming of Old Dogs. The photo below is the last time we saw Robin, a few months ago. We were at dinner with mutual dear friends from the Bay Area. He seemed good, was working on his series, was happily remarried, his kids were doing well. At the dinner, I noticed how Tom and Robin were dressed almost identically, down to the same eyeglasses and black shirts with jeans. They improvised that they were a team, or brothers or something called Skippy and Dan. This went on for awhile and made us all laugh, a lot. When we got in the car and said our goodbyes, I never imagined it would be so final. Tell the people you love that you love them. Forgive the past, don't put off saying what you need to say to someone you love. And if you are struggling with depression call The National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) There are counselors available 24/7 to help. Robin will be missed deeply. Let us remember the joy he gave to people, the depth and humanity he was able to communicate through his own access to his pain and though his art. God bless Robin, his children and his family.
Thank you for posting
Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I have been fortunate to work with both Robin and Tom. Both genuine, kind, down-to-earth gentlemen. It was an exercise in futility to hold in laughter around Robin. I am no fan of Rita's, but she speaks the truth here.

SamFromTX, Robin has a few projects in the pipeline slated for release.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:35 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I have been fortunate to work with both Robin and Tom.
Must have been incredible experiences... Whatever it is that you do, that has got to be a really rewarding part of your job, to be able to interact first-hand with such incredibly talented human beings...
Old 08-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Must have been incredible experiences... Whatever it is that you do, that has got to be a really rewarding part of your job, to be able to interact first-hand with such incredibly talented human beings...
There is none more talented than Robin Williams. The range and scope of his abilities are beyond anyone in the entertainment business today. Geniuses often have difficulty coping with not only themselves but with life.

Tragically his dark side won out and he hung himself.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:29 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I have been fortunate to work with both Robin and Tom. Both genuine, kind, down-to-earth gentlemen. It was an exercise in futility to hold in laughter around Robin. I am no fan of Rita's, but she speaks the truth here.

SamFromTX, Robin has a few projects in the pipeline slated for release.
You are one lucky man. Happy to hear there are a few more projects coming.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:16 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
It's been very depressing. 10 days or so ago I saw what I think was his last movie, 'The angriest man in Brooklyn". Worse watching.

Edit; Not sure where did the quotes go. This is about Robin Williams, obviously.
Sam, we just saw this movie last week and loved it. Last night my wife asked to see it again. There will not be another one like him.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:47 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by SamFromTX

Originally Posted by silverrules
Sam, we just saw this movie last week and loved it. Last night my wife asked to see it again. There will not be another one like him.
I just realized my typo. Should have typed "worth watching" not "worse watching". I think I'm gonna see it again too.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 production ending