Sponsored by:

991 GT3 production ending

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 12:28 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,294 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Porsche is not stupid. Niche cars like the GT3 are NOT money makers. Sure, they make some, but it's not a cash cow like some of their other models. They are smart to make slightly less than demand because:

a) It keeps the excitement, value, and exclusivity of these cars up
b) They won't make much money buy selling several hundred/few thousand more of the cars anyway. Their resources are better spent on the high volume/profit cars
c) The enthusiast pool is very small, and it dries up QUICKLY. There's tons of excitement at first. Enthusiasts line up to buy right away because that's the way we are, and then all of the sudden nobody is left. The BRZ/FRS is a great example. Mass market, highly praised car. Dealers are selling above MRSP, and people are on wait lists for the first year the car was on sale. Now they are rotting on lots, selling below invoice, and considered a sales failure because 'regular car buyers' think the car is a horrible value to him. At this point, all of the people that really wanted one have one, and many have moved on to something else.
great post. I think you are dead on with this.

Beyond the track specific hardening, suspension work, lower gearing, improved engine power, and vastly improved PDK........part of the excitement for the 991 GT3 is its relatively rarity, and that owning a GT3 buys you membership in a select group of Porsche true sports car enthusiasts.....compared to just buying a regular 911, that anyone can buy any day of the week, in any town with over 200,000 population in the USA.

This exclusivity is a big reason why GT3 values hold up better over time compared to regular 911s and 911 turbos.

I love everything else about the 991 GT3, but knowing that I would take much less of a depreciation hit, than the guys buying turbos and regular 911s, made my decision much easier to pull the trigger on a GT3.

I know it's selfish, but I'm very happy that that 991 GT3 production will be stopped for 18-24 months as of Feb 2015, if the rumors are true.
GT3 depreciation will be limited. This is just as useful as the compensation checks that Porsche will be sending out.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:44 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by rwcsn1
I agree with Jimmy D. I also think you have to question the motives of the people involved. I am sure somewhere there is incentive to drive up MSRP or resale value. Or someone trying to get people to bail on the wait list so they can jump ahead.
Excuse me but don't shoot the messengers mate! I hope I have not misunderstood you.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by Dostler
It's was Pardini. He has been very straight with me all along. If you order a car it's Msrp. Others are going for a premium. And to be clear, I don't think the car is available.

At this point I'm not holding my breath I'll get a gt3. Have to see what a RS turns out to be.
mike is one of the good one's i trust at stead.
dont be so sure that if you ordered one it's msrp. until the car is IN YOUR garage, i trust no one.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Just my 2p worth regarding some comments that have been floated.

IMO, not everyone who has a GT3 wants an GT3 RS. The RS may just be too hardcore for many, including myself. As far as values of GT3's dropping because of the RS?...IMO not really. Of course over time values will be affected, that goes for all of these cars. If anyone thinks these are investments or that they will not loose money on them, they need to think again. I do however feel that the GT3 and RS will depreciate less than the average 911.
correct, RS and GT3 value dont impact one another that much. look at history. furthermore, 991 version, the price delta will be even bigger.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Well, I do not think the news will be good either on the GT3RS. This will be even more difficult to get because all the 918 guys get first dibs at this, as well, and any future models. My dealer who got like 9 GT3s thinks they will only get 2 RSs. You will see a lot of these cars going over MSRP because if some of the 918 guys flip them back then some dealers will certainly will mark them up.

As for the 991 GT3 depreciating. Sure , most cars do but they will hold up quite well like the 997 did. That I would put money on and I did not buy this with that thought in mind. I am so glad I hung in there with the 991 GT3. My dealer told my repeatedly do not cancel and have faith in Porsche you will not regret it. Those that cancelled hoping to get a new allocation on a 2015 might no be too lucky.
I will also say now you will start seeing these cars that are marked up $10,000-$20,000 starting to sell just like before the "stop sale"
There wasn't the buy an 918 and get an RS allocation in the mix with the last RS, but I feel that dealers spreading the idea of their will be a limited quantity of the 997.2 RS helped to cause the "little run" on .2 GT3 RS's that happened. The speculation that production was going to be limited caused some to over-pay for their RS. At this moment in time it doesn't look that bad on a strictly return on sale of a lower mileage RS, talking less or at 10K miles - for at the dealer level, channel, they are asking MSRP about. But that would never have happened if the stop sale never happened!

Since Porsche is owned by VW now, as it was when the .2 RS came out, they, Porsche, more than likely will produce enough 991 GT3 RS's to satisfy demand. As for starting back up Vanilla GT3 production again who knows. I would like to think they will because for one I don't have an allocation. And even though I believe they will build enough RS's to go around no one outside of Porsche production and planning can answer that question.

Besides, beyond a very small number of examples, Porsche is not like Ferrari in the Idea of build One less than! With any of the 145 versions of any 997.1 and 997.2 911 that was built only the Platinum, what was production just 3 (?), and the Speedster, what was total production on that model - less than 200 (could be way off, but it wasn't for US sale anyway), they for the most part don't do the limited edition models. And for that matter does anyone know if they finally sold out all of 918 production yet?

Bottom line hysteria of limited RS production will cause them to be sold at a Premium to most buyers. Only time will tell if "Enough" are produced to satisfy total demand, and/or then some. That and if they will just stop production of the non RS completely or not.

And then, before the RS arrives, we can also see what the 997 GT3 marketS will do? Hold steady or eventually deflated to pre stop sale values. Only time will tell...
Old 08-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,454 Likes on 758 Posts

They have not sold out of the 918 yet. Actually I heard they are really trying to find buyers
Old 08-10-2014, 10:46 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
They have not sold out of the 918 yet. Actually I heard they are really trying to find buyers
Yeah--similar to situation when the CGT was in production.

But, in the end, they sold all of them and value held up nicely also as a bonus. Part of it is bc Porsche is making 918, not 375 or 399 like McLaren and Ferrari. And they will eventually sell out, make their money, AND all / most of the R&D will earn a multiple as it trickles down to the rest of the model lines.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

I'm wrong about the 997.2 Speedster Porsche sold them in the US right?!

What was the name of the limited production 997.2 that had the little "Gurney Bubbles" on the roof that was not imported tp the US?
Old 08-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I'm wrong about the 997.2 Speedster Porsche sold them in the US right?!

What was the name of the limited production 997.2 that had the little "Gurney Bubbles" on the roof that was not imported tp the US?
The car you are thinking about is the "Sport Classic Carrera". There are only 4 in the US at this time.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:39 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I will have to find a way to get over the even gaudier boy-racer wing on the RS v. the regular GT3.
That car has the holy grail of tails.. Just unbolt the wing and you'll be left with a Perfect ducktail..
Old 08-10-2014, 12:33 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

In the last 15 years has Porsche ever built a GT3 RS without the base model GT3? This makes no sense from a manufacturing operations point of view- in other words stop production of the volume model to focus on the limited production model. Even if the main difference between the GT3 and RS and the base 911 is really just the powertrain, it seems improbable to me and will just drive up Porsche's cost on all the RS they sell.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:16 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,207 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Thanks, but not necessary. Mine is finally nearing port. It' been a painfully long wait, Porsche!
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing it. Are you going to track it as well or just street drive?
Old 08-10-2014, 01:23 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,207 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
In % terms (and of course absolute terms too), the MSRP of the GT3 went up way more than other variants from 997.2 in it's last year to 991 -

GT3 - $14k, 12% increase.

Others:
C2 - 4.3k, 5.5% increase
C2S - 5.9k, 6.51%
C2 cab - 4.9k, 5.5%
C2S cab - 6.5k, 6.4%
C4 - 5.6k, 6.59%
C4S - 7.3k, 7.45%
C4 cab - 6.4k, 6.66%
C4S cab - 8.1k, 7.43%

I did this calculation long back trying to predict the 991 GT3 MSRP - https://rennlist.com/forums/10069601-post209.html
For other models, did you look at increases between back-to-back model years or with the same 3.5 year gap GT3 had? I think the gap in production years can explain much of the bigger increase for GT3. Also, the 991 GT3 is really nicely equipped in base version. I've just compared it to a base 911 (not S) optioned to well over $100K, and my almost base GT3 was still more nicely equipped. I don't know if the same was true for previous generation, but it's good value in my view.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:34 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing it. Are you going to track it as well or just street drive?
It will be my daily driver. Yes, I have a Cup car for the track- that I love dearly - but, I'm sure at some point the new one will be stomping around Thunderhill at least once.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
For other models, did you look at increases between back-to-back model years or with the same 3.5 year gap GT3 had? I think the gap in production years can explain much of the bigger increase for GT3. Also, the 991 GT3 is really nicely equipped in base version. I've just compared it to a base 911 (not S) optioned to well over $100K, and my almost base GT3 was still more nicely equipped. I don't know if the same was true for previous generation, but it's good value in my view.
You are absolutely right, I was thinking of the base MSRP of the 997.2 GT3 RS was the same base MSRP of the Turbo. I got the prices flip flopped. Need a refresher course.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 production ending