Sponsored by:

991 GT3 production ending

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So I'm curious how we made such a huge thread based on just yet another stupid rumor.. I was hesitant to post my confirmation that there wouldn't be a production stop because it would fly in the face of so many "official" proclamations from "high level" sources.. Just realized how much BS is floating around.. Glad I did my own fact checking then.

So what's this I hear about guards red being discountinued pending a color reformulation due to discoloration issues in sunlight... Something about an undesirable orange hue after just short time periods in the sun.
Alex. I re read the entire thread just now from post 1. No one claimed to have any high up knowledge of the situation at all until Clockeds post a page ago quoting Mr Paine. I didnt even post on this topic until page 8 and made it clear that it was speculation/opinion only. The only hard data I have is teh NZ books are closed and the UK allocation seem to have dried up. The member who claimed to have called it BS on the first page didnt actually post until the 3rd page. There were two separate dealers that told clients on here that Feb 28 was the last production of the GT3 and one confirmation very recently (2 days ago) from a different source (Mr Paine). You've been on this board for 12 months now so know the drill. Until PAG announces something in writing its always speculation....
Old 08-21-2014, 12:03 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So what's this I hear about guards red being discountinued pending a color reformulation due to discoloration issues in sunlight... Something about an undesirable orange hue after just short time periods in the sun.
Well played, Alex....
Old 08-21-2014, 12:04 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,163 Likes on 5,286 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Alex. I re read the entire thread just now from post 1. No one claimed to have any high up knowledge of the situation at all until Clockeds post a page ago quoting Mr Paine. I didnt even post on this topic until page 8 and made it clear that it was speculation/opinion only. The only hard data I have is teh NZ books are closed and the UK allocation seem to have dried up. The member who claimed to have called it BS on the first page didnt actually post until the 3rd page. There were two separate dealers that told clients on here that Feb 28 was the last production of the GT3 and one confirmation very recently (2 days ago) from a different source (Mr Paine). You've been on this board for 12 months now so know the drill. Until PAG announces something in writing its always speculation....
Macca,

I think there's a chance that both camps (ending versus not-ending) are right in that the 991 GT3 variant will end after the November allocations, and then sometime in Winter/Spring 2015 there will be allocations for the 991.2 GT3 variant.

So when we have different PAG (or PCNA) saying "last production" and "production continuing past Feb 2015" both statements may be technically accurate, but not completely accurate.

Just my 0.02 of course.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:08 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Macca,

I think there's a chance that both camps (ending versus not-ending) are right in that the 991 GT3 variant will end after the November allocations, and then sometime in Winter/Spring 2015 there will be allocations for the 991.2 GT3 variant.

So when we have different PAG (or PCNA) saying "last production" and "production continuing past Feb 2015" both statements may be technically accurate, but not completely accurate.

Just my 0.02 of course.
I have no idea whether 991 GT3 production will end in February but I'd be willing to bet we're at least a couple of years away from a 991.2 GT3 variant, assuming Porsche doesn't move in a different direction entirely with their "track/street" car.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Macca,

Just my 0.02 of course.
I agree with Mike. Ill bet you a lunch at any fancy restaurant you choose there isnt a 991.2 GT3 anytime soon....
Old 08-21-2014, 01:24 AM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default end of production

the austrian porsche importer (a subsidiary owed by piech) has confirmed production end of GT3 in late february/early march.
peter
Old 08-21-2014, 01:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Peter. That's very interesting and very important information as its the dealership formally owned by Louise Piëch and historically very close to the heart of Porsche. recently of course it was absorbed into the VWAG group.

We obviously need to get to the bottom of this. If PAG launch the 991 GT3RS in Paris I feel confident there will be a definitive announcement. I will put the feelers out to my PAG contacts and see if I can gleen any information...
Old 08-21-2014, 01:48 AM
markow
Racer

Peter. That's very interesting and very important information as its the dealership formally owned by Louise Piëch and historically very close to the heart of Porsche. recently of course it was absorbed into the VWAG group.

We obviously need to get to the bottom of this. If PAG launch the 991 GT3RS in Paris I feel confident there will be a definitive announcement. I will put the feelers out to my PAG contacts and see if I can gleen any information...
macca,
unfortunately i could not get a confirmation of the paris launch of the GT3. the vienna dealers do have build slots for end of march/april. maybe you get info on
paris?
cheers (and thanks.....) peter
Old 08-21-2014, 02:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Peter. Ive tried. Everyone is tight lipped on GT3RS launch. If there are build slots predicted end of March/April that could well point to October Paris OR March Geneva! Typically PAG start customer deliveries 3-5 months after product launch. If you look at the page I have reproduced from the original 991 GT3 press pack which was embargoed until 06 March (copies were available if you were press in late April) you can get an idea of the sequence of events. Of course nothing remains the same so pure speculation but my money is still on Paris first week of October with build dates starting first week of March (based on the data you have confirmed). It would work in with the typical 3-5 month lead time (dealers technically cannot enter orders through PSWIS until official launch and meargo lifted with pricing loaded into the system for car and options which never happens till first press day of launch etc). Question is will the cease 991 GT3 production and move straight into 991 GT3RS? Ive put a few calls out to see if I can get any more info on the 991 GT3 part of the equation and now also to see if any dates have been suggested for 991 GT3RS allocations.

Of course before anyone linches me - hands up Im exercising a methodology of supposition and logic/past experience knowledge here nothing else!
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2014, 02:49 AM
markow
Racer

Peter. Ive tried. Everyone is tight lipped on GT3RS launch. If there are build slots predicted end of March/April that could well point to October Paris OR March Geneva! Typically PAG start customer deliveries 3-5 months after product launch. If you look at the page I have reproduced from the original 991 GT3 press pack which was embargoed until 06 March (copies were available if you were press in late April) you can get an idea of the sequence of events. Of course nothing remains the same so pure speculation but my money is still on Paris first week of October with build dates starting first week of March (based on the data you have confirmed). It would work in with the typical 3-5 month lead time (dealers technically cannot enter orders through PSWIS until official launch and meargo lifted with pricing loaded into the system for car and options which never happens till first press day of launch etc). Question is will the cease 991 GT3 production and move straight into 991 GT3RS? Ive put a few calls out to see if I can get any more info on the 991 GT3 part of the equation and now also to see if any dates have been suggested for 991 GT3RS allocations.

Of course before anyone linches me - hands up Im exercising a methodology of supposition and logic/past experience knowledge here nothing else!
mark, i tend to agree with your timing considerations. i have heard (again, unconfirmed) that GT3 production will stop with onset of RS but i am a bit stunned by the lack of rumors with substance pointing to a paris RS launch.
peter
Old 08-21-2014, 03:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Agreed Pete. I've emailed Europe may hear overnight...
Old 08-21-2014, 08:08 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 650 Likes on 312 Posts

There have been no 991.2 GT3 mules nor any leaks as far as what will be different besides the requisite facelift. Porsche have always added some hp and other tweaks. If they come out with a 991.2 that quickly what will THAT do to the few 991.1's that got out??
Old 08-21-2014, 08:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

My contact is on annual leave in France. Back on board next week and may have an answer on 991 GT3 production by mid week. Best I can do...
Old 08-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Actually I got a surprise update from France. I positioned my question around the 991 GT3RS launch. This is what Ive been told. Make of it what you like: "The RS will follow as soon they stop the GT3 early 2015"...
Old 08-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it plausible and possible that they could build both variants simultaneously? The amount of RS's will be much less than the standard so why not continue production to satisfy all needs?

Or is it simply not possible from a manufacturing perspective?

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 production ending