Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blow-out at a track

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 03:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Max. Glad to hear all is ok. Could have been much worse with that exhaust thing burning your rear bumper.

Did you go out with low tire pressures? If this was your first proper lap of the day and you had let the tires down to 20 psi to accommodate hot pressures this may have helped cause the issue. I say that only because I tried similar once on my first session and a more experienced racer buddy saw me do it and told me that it was not advisable and to only run small psi out of them for first lap and let them overheat a bit and then lower them substantially for second session as the damage to sidewall running them too low and the potential issues of a cold under inflated tire on the track outweighed having them too hot for half a session. Just a thought here thats all...

P.S. My tech is pretty certain 19" will work fine front and rear and doesnt believe RWS arm will be a problem for the rear at all....
Old 08-02-2014, 10:36 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Sorry to hear about the issues. What organizer was running this??
HOD, but TMR and NCRC are ALL equally guilty of this problem as well.

The increased popularity of the sport is a double edged sword....
Old 08-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cannot confirm experience with MPSC2 but Macca may have a point reg. cold tire pressure! Never hit the curbs with cold low PSI tires!!
Did 3 track days (sort of open pit lane style) and I am doing tons of kerbs and never hat an issue (so far). Was in Spa and Hockenheim and you ahve to do lots of kerbs to be quick. Especially one left hand kink in Hockenheim after the "Sachskurve" is pretty nasty. Also Spa the bus stop chicane but there the speed is quite low .... just saying
P
Old 08-02-2014, 11:43 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP that sucks but I'm not sure you can judge the tire sidewalls weak or the blowout due entirely to the decreased sidewall relative to other cars. These cars are said to really do well at soaking up big hits. . . but that doesn't mean that those big hits are. . . .big.

Anyway, not sure if that makes any sense. But I'm with you about the desirabililty of tracking with 19's.

Forgeline is already building 19's. Only issue that it'll mess with your gearing a bit b/c the OD of currently available track 19's don't replicate the OD of OEM 20's. I haven't looked at 19" tire selections but R6s are an option but I'd prefer a 19" tire that can be street driven to the track.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:29 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It was a bad day for a bunch of people. Unusual amount of carnage on track today. :-(

I always worry a bit about 'sold out' events. It usually means that people are shoehorning themselves into inappropriate run groups so they can still get a track day.

Glad you and the car are still ok. Hope to see you out there again soon, my friend!
Yes, after I saw what happened after I left, I feel lucky.

The tire was at 30psi (per dash meter) by the time this happened, low psi is not a factor here.

Just to clarify, I did not hit the curb the way it's meant to be hit. The wheel was going in the dirt parallel to the edge of track and jumped on the curb from dirt. Attacking curbs normally never caused any issues. Still, I had much stronger impacts in other cars/tires, without sidewall damage. I think taller sidewall might have helped or sidewall like in AD08R - they are pretty much run-flats.

I'm experimenting with the sound suppression already, so I'll let someone else to figure out 19" wheels and tires and copy then.

Losing a track day feels like getting a bloody nose without returning a punch - now want to pick up another fight ASAP.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:14 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Did you make the suppressor your self or go through a shop? I am trying to figure this out myself, gotta get out to Laguna Seca hopefully with less traffic.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

HOD, but TMR and NCRC are ALL equally guilty of this problem as well.

The increased popularity of the sport is a double edged sword....
thus where should you go .......
Old 08-02-2014, 03:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
thus where should you go .......
Mooty track days, I know. You and I need to talk some time about next year. If we can merge your usual crew with mine, we'll have something cool...
Old 08-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

That completely sucks. I also can agree that track days are such a complete **** show.

I must say, just because the "warm up lap" is over doesn't mean GAME ON as in the green flag is waving. Guys and tires warm up times differ. I use extra caution for the first five laps and let anyone up my *** for the first few laps pass immediately. I catch them later anyway.

Good luck with the tire. Elite track days would be awesome.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Mooty track days, I know. You and I need to talk some time about next year. If we can merge your usual crew with mine, we'll have something cool...
yah, u can scare Wa, hahahah.

i saw MAX's blown tire. its right on the sidewall. i am surprised to. the bead didn't come off, the wheel was not bent.... could it be sidewall is too soft? but how, the sidwall was short, should not be soft....

i would like to know more on that issue.

and at least for the very near future, 991 GT guys should have spare tires either in trailer or at home b/c i doubt these are rubbers you can find quickly, even from dealers.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

And there comes the trailer and track support, we we all end up in the end :-)
Old 08-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Modena 1
That completely sucks. I also can agree that track days are such a complete **** show.

I must say, just because the "warm up lap" is over doesn't mean GAME ON as in the green flag is waving. Guys and tires warm up times differ. I use extra caution for the first five laps and let anyone up my *** for the first few laps pass immediately. I catch them later anyway.

Good luck with the tire. Elite track days would be awesome.
5 laps before you are "on it"! Geezz. We do things a bit different down under. First half first lap is warming up tires and fluids by end of first lap its GAME ON...:-)
Old 08-03-2014, 12:02 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
5 laps before you are "on it"?!?!?!!! Geezz. We do things a bit different down under. First half first lap is warming up tires and fluids by end of first lap its GAME ON...:-)
Old 08-03-2014, 12:02 AM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even for a race you only get one warm up lap, and it's not at speed.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
yah, u can scare Wa, hahahah.

i saw MAX's blown tire. its right on the sidewall. i am surprised to. the bead didn't come off, the wheel was not bent.... could it be sidewall is too soft? but how, the sidwall was short, should not be soft....

i would like to know more on that issue.

and at least for the very near future, 991 GT guys should have spare tires either in trailer or at home b/c i doubt these are rubbers you can find quickly, even from dealers.
Nothing scares him. Seriously. LOL.

Just had a thought: Maybe this 'velvet' lettering technology on the mpsc2 sidewalls is to blame?

http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/0...s-black-series

Originally Posted by Macca
5 laps before you are "on it"! Geezz. We do things a bit different down under. First half first lap is warming up tires and fluids by end of first lap its GAME ON...:-)
It's game on after lap one for most of us here too.

Quick Reply: Blow-out at a track