Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
I have had success using the adhesive mount on the rear window(inside the car). It's so much better there because the field of view gets what your hands are doing and it shows the action thru the front windshield perfectly. It takes a bit of experimenting to get the mount location just right but it's well worth it.
I'd be careful using a suction cup or adhesive on the rear window,as you can damage the defrost strips when removing.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,641 Likes on 762 Posts

They can leave a mark on paint , clear bra and graphics as well.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:14 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I'd be careful using a suction cup or adhesive on the rear window,as you can damage the defrost strips when removing.
didnt know that....thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
didnt know that....thanks
No problem. Same goes for tint on the rear window. If you get bored with it or it starts bubbling,you are risking damaging the strips when removing. That's why I never tint my rear window.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Joe731
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default subscribed

Great thread.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:51 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Does anyone know if the sport bucket seats from 997.2 RS will fit in 991 GT3? Also, anyone know if the optional Lightweight Sport Bucket Seats (P11) are out yet? Anyone have these seats in their 991 GT3? Thank you.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 08-28-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:39 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Did my 4th trackday on Friday. The car continues to impress. I think the rear tires still have 3 days left, and very even wear (which is surprising because I’ve been intentionally sliding the car and pushing it hard). Front Left is toast, 1 more day on FR. Understeer became progressively worse each session Friday as the FL tire eroded. This was a tight course though, only had understeer issues in a few tight ones. The car is absolutely brilliant in fast sweepers and also making directional adjustments at high speed. I think that’s where RWS is really shining. The GT3 lap times (with just an alignment) were on par with well-driven and set-up Scud & C6 Z07 (both on Hoosier R6). Pad/Rotor life looking good. Getting ABS under hard braking (even with all systems OFF) and pedal feel could be firmer. I will do lines & fluid soon (hopefully this week) and I’ll definitely go with a more aggressive pad once the stocks are closer to done.

I finally tried Auto mode on track. For me, the only benefit was not having to watch the Tach to nail a 9k upshift on straightaways but it reduced the fun/control factor significantly and I didn’t always like where it downshifted. After 3 laps I went back to manual and I doubt I’ll repeat that experiment.

Has anyone tried a 265/35 Cup2 up front? If it fits, this may help fight understeer in the tight stuff.

Anyone having knocking sounds from the front suspension? After my 3rd trackday I had some knocking so my shop looked everything over, found everything to look ok, but they gave everything a slight tighten. Knock disappeared. Then I did trackday #4, everything was fine (even for the 250km round trip to/from the track) but the next day (yesterday) the knock returned on my way to the detailer. Just sounds like something is loose, very noticeable knocking around when on uneven road surfaces, entering driveways, etc. Something seems to be loosening after hard use. Will have it checked out again this week.

I’m doing Saturday & Sunday @ Mosport GP Track (CTMP) next weekend, a much faster track than what I’ve been hitting on my 1st 4 outings so REALLY looking forward to it.

Here is an exhaust clip from Friday (old GoPro Hero1, no external mic). Just got a new GoPro 3+ Black Edition that will be running next weekend.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
Does anyone know if the sport bucket seats from 997.2 RS will fit in 991 GT3? Also, anyone know if the optional Lightweight Sport Bucket Seats (P11) are out yet? Anyone have these seats in their 991 GT3? Thank you.
997.2 bucket will fit physically but some warming lights will not b able to be disabled
991 bucket will be available for cars build in nov
no one in USA has these seats yet
Old 08-31-2014, 01:05 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Did my 4th trackday on Friday. The car continues to impress. I think the rear tires still have 3 days left, and very even wear (which is surprising because I’ve been intentionally sliding the car and pushing it hard). Front Left is toast, 1 more day on FR. Understeer became progressively worse each session Friday as the FL tire eroded. This was a tight course though, only had understeer issues in a few tight ones. The car is absolutely brilliant in fast sweepers and also making directional adjustments at high speed. I think that’s where RWS is really shining. The GT3 lap times (with just an alignment) were on par with well-driven and set-up Scud & C6 Z07 (both on Hoosier R6). Pad/Rotor life looking good. Getting ABS under hard braking (even with all systems OFF) and pedal feel could be firmer. I will do lines & fluid soon (hopefully this week) and I’ll definitely go with a more aggressive pad once the stocks are closer to done.

I finally tried Auto mode on track. For me, the only benefit was not having to watch the Tach to nail a 9k upshift on straightaways but it reduced the fun/control factor significantly and I didn’t always like where it downshifted. After 3 laps I went back to manual and I doubt I’ll repeat that experiment.

Has anyone tried a 265/35 Cup2 up front? If it fits, this may help fight understeer in the tight stuff.

Anyone having knocking sounds from the front suspension? After my 3rd trackday I had some knocking so my shop looked everything over, found everything to look ok, but they gave everything a slight tighten. Knock disappeared. Then I did trackday #4, everything was fine (even for the 250km round trip to/from the track) but the next day (yesterday) the knock returned on my way to the detailer. Just sounds like something is loose, very noticeable knocking around when on uneven road surfaces, entering driveways, etc. Something seems to be loosening after hard use. Will have it checked out again this week.

I’m doing Saturday & Sunday @ Mosport GP Track (CTMP) next weekend, a much faster track than what I’ve been hitting on my 1st 4 outings so REALLY looking forward to it.

Here is an exhaust clip from Friday (old GoPro Hero1, no external mic). Just got a new GoPro 3+ Black Edition that will be running next weekend.
Mr. Meteor, Is that the stock exhaust? Or did you put on the bypass?
Old 08-31-2014, 01:48 PM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice video 997TT Meteor. We took two new 991GT3's to INDE in AZ recently. I forgot to post the vids here in this thread:

Old 08-31-2014, 01:53 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by rubbaman
I have the SW Bypass.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:54 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Yep, SW Bypass.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:57 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
Nice video 997TT Meteor. We took two new 991GT3's to INDE in AZ recently. I forgot to post the vids here in this thread: Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc_6Kb9XJqs&list=UUBjOXSFswM7q-zlv1FDGluw Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuYQ08kBLm8&list=UUBjOXSFswM7q-zlv1FDGluw
Yeah, I saw those - nice! I drove Inde in December, thinking about joining this winter.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:11 PM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Yeah, I saw those - nice! I drove Inde in December, thinking about joining this winter.
If you join let me know and we can get several 991GT3's out there
Old 08-31-2014, 02:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
Palomar - YouTube

This is not a track video, but quite the twisty mountain road. Lots of hairpins, gravel in spots, bicyclists, etc. so not the fastest but VERY fun. Excuse the NPR "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" in the back ground!
Probably shouldn't post sport driving on public roads.
At the 0:50 second mark, you appear to drive over the rumble of the double yellow lines at a hairpin into oncoming motorcycles as the car in front used the hard shoulder to let you pass -- that happens all too often near where I live and the police are tired of buying more sponges to get the motorcycle rider's into plastic bags. The cops also hand out multiple moving violations at once (aggressive driving, following too closely, illegal pass, illegal lane share, reckless driving, show of performance ... all kinds of things in one license-busting bundle that the courts uphold.)

Quick Reply: On track experiences and video's 991 GT3 only.