Pilot Sport Cup 2's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
Sam, "I'm your huckleberry."

I should have mine back later this week and will be running at Mid Ohio for an Audi DE on the 25th of this month.

I've got a brand new set of 19" Forgelines w/ Hoosiers just waiting to be tested. I plan on running the first morning w/ the OEM's to get my baseline. It's been what seems like an eternity and need to remember the car again.(Albeit, I'm modestly concerned the PS2's were about heat cycled out before all this crap happened w/ the engine swap?).

Not to get ahead of myself, but I'm concerned running Hoosiers on this car? From memory, this GT3 likes to be "slid" around certain turns and I've come to learn Hoosier's don't like to slide. (Watkins Glen, tire wall...) They grip and then don't grip.

Will keep you all posted.
Awesome to hear. Be careful and looking forward to your review.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:21 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

Got a chance to run the MSCP2's yesterday. Unfortunately, had some setup issues which prevented me from doing the type of data collection I had hoped for.

Seat of the pants impressions: LOTS of grip. They were pretty grippy 1/3rd into my first session. They got even better in the 2nd. I would peg their grip somewhere between the MSCP and Trofeo R. Even with setup issues which made my car very twitchy in the rear, I did not get the feeling the the MSCP2's were more susceptible to snap oversteer (as was demonstrated in another poster's videos) than any other R comp I've run. In fact I found them very progressive at the limit.

Wear on track didn't seem that great. After 2 sessions, I measured 1.25mm wear but noted that most of it was in the first session. I need to measure wear again after the 140 mile drive home from TH to see if it's lesser on the street. The car needs to be re-aligned so I will post a separate thread in the 997 GT3 board after I get a chance to run a full day with them.

Overall, really liked these tires.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:15 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Chris, if you were referring to my video, I would not call it snap oversteer - it was insufficient correction of a slide. The street wear is not bad, I find. I put 500 street miles on them to break in the new engine without noticeable wear.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Got a chance to run the MSCP2's yesterday. Unfortunately, had some setup issues which prevented me from doing the type of data collection I had hoped for.

Seat of the pants impressions: LOTS of grip. They were pretty grippy 1/3rd into my first session. They got even better in the 2nd. I would peg their grip somewhere between the MSCP and Trofeo R. Even with setup issues which made my car very twitchy in the rear, I did not get the feeling the the MSCP2's were more susceptible to snap oversteer (as was demonstrated in another poster's videos) than any other R comp I've run. In fact I found them very progressive at the limit.

Wear on track didn't seem that great. After 2 sessions, I measured 1.25mm wear but noted that most of it was in the first session. I need to measure wear again after the 140 mile drive home from TH to see if it's lesser on the street. The car needs to be re-aligned so I will post a separate thread in the 997 GT3 board after I get a chance to run a full day with them.

Overall, really liked these tires.
Thanks for info, Chris. Do you think they perform similar to NT01?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:29 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris,
If you look at it on cost/track mile basis is the MPSC2 a better choice than Trofeo R?
I guess I'm going back to 19's soon since Nitto dropped the ball.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:30 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Chris, if you were referring to my video, I would not call it snap oversteer - it was insufficient correction of a slide. The street wear is not bad, I find. I put 500 street miles on them to break in the new engine without noticeable wear.
Agree, no snap oversteer in your video. I too have 800+ miles on new tires, about a 100 of which are track miles and so far no significant wear. Going to track again tomorrow, and if our Saturday night function allows, Sunday as well.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:20 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

Max: Wear so far I'm not sold on relative to MPSC. I need to measure wear after the drive home. My past experience with the MPSC's was that they were good for 4K street miles MAX. Maybe 2-3 with a couple of track days. If the MPSC2's could do 6k miles and/or 4K and a few track days with greater grip, they'd be awesome.

joe: more grip than NT01 even when slicks.

paver: my guess is it's a better value than the Trofeo R but you give up grip for the longevity. Also the Trofeo R is much more finicky to heat cycles and pressures than I believe the MPSC2's are.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:20 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys, is there another source for MPSC 2 besides tire rack? Google doesn't come up with anything.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:23 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Does the "714" car number mean something on your avatar? - I can only think of relevance to Quaaludes
Hah, I remember those from the late 1970's....terrible for driving skills...

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport Cup 2's?