Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS die-cast model

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:16 PM
hzoenvy33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
One thing.. Anyone notice in the pics of the die-cast model, the black area below the rear window.. Normally that is where the gt3 intakes are.. Does that look to anyone else like a movable rear spoiler.. A-la Bentley continental GT? Notice the extra vertical split on the trunk... And the extra vents... I'm thinking there may be some active aero in addition to the wing spoiler there.

The RS does not need the intakes where the GT3 has them, because they are on the sides...
The small intakes on the boot lid are for cooling of the engine bay (the two small vents that you see when you open the "engine bay" of a regular 991).

I can't see active aero here... the engine cover looks like the "regular" ducktail of the RSR with a huge wing above.

I really like the wheel arch outlets on the front axle. Reduce the pressure in the wheel house, give extra downforce, very nice.

fibredog,
this can't be the GT2 because it cannot (!) be a turbo charged engine. There is simply no intercooler intake/outlet. Especially not a massive one for a GT2.
This is the GT3 RS.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

So is there a link to this picture and where the alleged "model" can be bought? Where is the seller from and where is the model sourced? That a toy would depict the actual car complete with fine details (rather than a guess based on spy photos) likely months before the real thing has even been introduced seems, not impossible, but unlikely. I probably too skeptical....
Old 06-16-2014, 06:44 PM
928cs
Race Car

Received 543 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
So is there a link to this picture and where the alleged "model" can be bought? Where is the seller from and where is the model sourced? That a toy would depict the actual car complete with fine details (rather than a guess based on spy photos) likely months before the real thing has even been introduced seems, not impossible, but unlikely. I probably too skeptical....
This certainly a model from Minichamps, and I would not be surprised that Porsche works with them before the release of a new model.

https://www.minichamps.de/EN/Home/index.html

Have you seen this?
https://ck-modelcars.de/en/eur/p/175...ap-021-037-0e/
Old 06-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
The article makes this statement:

"expect Porsche to cram more horses into the 475-hp 3.8-liter flat-six engine from the GT3"

Who would buy a more highly-tuned version of a highly-tuned engine that has already proven unreliable?
AFAIK we know nothing about reliability of new motor as it went bang out of the box. Reliability will be proven for me after two seasons of hard lapping around Sebring or similar, preferably in a race car.

As for capacity and tune, I have to assume Porsche left something on the table based on everything that's come before. That's just their way - and they're hardly alone.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It was always obvious from the spy photos that the roof and hood had come in for some treatment. My opinion is these are CF, roof double bubble and hood with retro cues back to the air cooled cars with the traditional creases in the hood surface. The vents above the fenders are something we havent seen before but again have historic cues (934/35) and although they may have a functional purpose (i.e. expel air from behind the front radiators) I should say they are as much about looks as anything else. The front fenders are flaired and Im not sure if anyone noticed but the mirror bases look like they are black deviated which is a nice touch IMO.

Of peculiar interest is the fact the wheel design looks identical to the 991 GT3 (no bad thing either and consistent with Gen1 997 GT3/RS ethos).

The 991 GT3RS from what my sources tell me has been a largely finished project for some months with an original launch date now looming although the 991 GT3 engine debacle has no doubt required a shift in the launch and production programs probably partly due to capacity issues (after all 800 engine have had to be built and installed) and no doubt due to further mechanical testing.

I believe the model makers have early visibility into the PAG products. This was born true of the 991 GT3, I picked up my 1:43 example before the first customer cars were delivered. Apolo1 on PH site also states has seen the 991 GT3 RS in the flesh at the factory and the launch signature colour is a darker burnt orange a colour not previously seen on an RS variant.

If this model is indeed true of the final product (which I believe it is) then it conforms to most of our exceptions. Im sure the exotic tech (CF double bubble roof, aero maybe active etc) is first class and definitely in line with early AP comments about the car being very extreme. Im of belief we are looking at 500-525 headline BHP, but that its based on the existing engine (getting larger pistons to cycle at 9000 rpm doesnt seem such a good idea now that the pin holding the assembly together was supposedly at fault in the recent engine failures). I imagine any headline increases are a function of what was already left on the table, plus ECU, exhaust and intake manifold changes. The body is paced on the 991TT so wider at rear and no doubt heavier as a result and with reduced CD, as well as larger and no doubt heavier rear wheels, but Im sure the CF hood and roof offset this weight and further reduction of interior fitments/furniture and one piece bucket seats will produce a car that with half cage included comes in fractionally lower published weight than the 991 GT3. There will be suspension revisions and probably PDK-S software changes too and I have no doubt the car is targeting sub 7.20s Ring times for the marketing department.

I was never really a customer for this car, I wont spend enough time at the track with my GT3 and it must serve fast tarmac use as well as significant general touring (to and from events and around the country on holidays). I personally am VERY VERY happy with the 991 GT3 from a design POV and personally feel that the 991 GT3RS may look a little busy and contrived at least from what I have seen to date - however in the flesh in launch colours I have no doubt it will be a jaw dropping car and something quite exotic compared to what has gone before. The world is watching even more closely this time around....
Old 06-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
AFAIK we know nothing about reliability of new motor as it went bang out of the box. Reliability will be proven for me after two seasons of hard lapping around Sebring or similar, preferably in a race car.

As for capacity and tune, I have to assume Porsche left something on the table based on everything that's come before. That's just their way - and they're hardly alone.
Nizer, this is a contrarian point of view. I know you are not a 991 GT3 fanboy (infact clearly quite the opposite) and although I share some consternation about the reliability of the new GT3 engine for motorsports application I should say that in production guise this engine must be now the most tested "new" design in PAG history. Remember of the 500 or so cars delivered to customers only 3 engines had catestrophic failures that we are aware of, all of theme were late production and within 200 miles of delivery. Between us early adopters we must have closed up any 100,000 miles in the new GT3 without issue. Infact to this day I doubt there is anything wrong with my engine at all and if I had the choice I would leave it in situ with the replacement at my dealership and run it and see if it went pop!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 928cs
This certainly a model from Minichamps, and I would not be surprised that Porsche works with them before the release of a new model.

https://www.minichamps.de/EN/Home/index.html

Have you seen this?
https://ck-modelcars.de/en/eur/p/175...ap-021-037-0e/
Thanks for the links. I have heard of Minichamps and have seen the 991 GT3 model you linked to. My skepticism is partly eased, although it still seems strange to me to see the "toy" before the real thing.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Nizer, this is a contrarian point of view. I know you are not a 991 GT3 fanboy (infact clearly quite the opposite) and although I share some consternation about the reliability of the new GT3 engine for motorsports application I should say that in production guise this engine must be now the most tested "new" design in PAG history. Remember of the 500 or so cars delivered to customers only 3 engines had catestrophic failures that we are aware of, all of theme were late production and within 200 miles of delivery. Between us early adopters we must have closed up any 100,000 miles in the new GT3 without issue. Infact to this day I doubt there is anything wrong with my engine at all and if I had the choice I would leave it in situ with the replacement at my dealership and run it and see if it went pop!
Macca, I know you're a huge fanboy so I can understand why my point of view seems contrarian to you. I'm not particularly interested in how many miles early adopters have accumulated. I'm interested in how many combined mies have been accumulated at or near full throttle for extended periods of time in real world conditions, i.e, sound track time. The Mezger engine was not without it's issues even well into its production cycle, as many including you have pointed out here in the past. As for the three failures and what it says about reliability or extent of the problem, it's a moot point for me because all the cars were parked as soon as the first failures surfaced so any arguments to this end are a waste of time.

I'm happy that you're excited about the car. It must've been torment looking at the lump through the first summer of ownership. I sincerely hope the rest of your time with the car is trouble free and that the new RS is a monster success.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Nizer. Your point is contrarian because you hang out on the 991 GT3 board banging on about the same old "its aint a Mezger, it aint manual" stuff since the board started.

We get it. Why dont you come back in a few years and see how many engines have disintegrated on the track and save yourself some key stokes. You are swimming upstream here. I would be like me going to the 996 board 10 years and banging on about how my GT1 block 993RS is tried and proven and doesnt have any RMS or porous bore issues.

Yes, Im a fan-boy. I don't buy into all this "mezger" stuff. Didnt know I had one in my 993 till people started to get carried away with it. Actually talking to fellow 3.8RS and 4.0 owners not sure its been plain sailing for those either.

As for your sympathy you can keep it thanks. I got plenty of miles on my GT3 before shipping from Switzerland to NZ and given I live in Vanuatu Ive been lucky not to miss it so much at all (any more than I miss playing with any of my cars in NZ).

So there it is. You are a hard core mezger manual fan. Im a 991 GT3 fanboy. So why not stick to our respective sandpits....
Old 06-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

P.S. Its winter in New Zealand...
Old 06-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

You are a hard core mezger manual fan. Im a 991 GT3 fanboy...
I'm a fan of GT3 using the same motor raced in the Cup - Mezger, 9A1, whatever, as long as it's naturally aspirated. I'm truly sorry that upsets you.

Yes, I believe the GT3 should be offered with a manual option; note option, not only. So you nailed me, along with a lot of other prior owners and most of the motoring press.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Simple solution. Buy a 2014 991 GT3 Cup car and start a new board :-) Its not manual but its a start....
Old 06-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Simple solution. Buy a 2014 991 GT3 Cup car and start a new board :-)
Working on it.

And no need to start a new board as we already have one: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cup-cars-151/

Best part, it's agnostic when it comes to motors. In fact many of us are eagerly awaiting the new motor going racing.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by neanicu; 06-16-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:29 PM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I expect that model will turn out to be quite true... I swear I remember another car being accidentally revealed by a toy in the past, maybe it was the new Camaro (I seem to think it was an American)? You could see the scenario play out, especially when the GT3 RS is undoubtedly delayed past its original intended reveal date (which was probably around now).

To my eyes, the car looks pretty good. I wonder if it will really go graphics-less.

If it is real, you might just see Porsche release some real info ahead of schedule... that tends to happen when production images get leaked, anyway.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS die-cast model