Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS die-cast model

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:22 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

FWIW, Apollo on PH who has been accurate regarding GT3 information stated he has seen the RS and this toy model is 95% of what it will look like.

Personally, I have difficulty understanding the market for the RS. Only about one percent of the owners of the 991GT3 will be able to get close to 100% of the capability of the car. Getting 60% out of the RS would be quite an achievement for most of us. Also, to drive around town with the huge whale tail makes one look like a wannabe.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Getting 60% out of the RS would be quite an achievement for most of us.
Hi Nick - I hope you're being hyperbolic to make a point. I would expect quite a few frequent track rats on this board to be able to exceed 90% of the capability of this car on track quite easily (within the first few days).

For instance, if Porsche's best hot shoe can lap in 2 minutes, then getting within 90% only requires a lap of 2:12. I think over 95% of maximum (2:06) is within reach of quite a few on Rennlist.

That last 5% (or less) is a big deal in racing...
Old 06-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Grant, you're right the 60% was an exaggeration to make a point. However, I do believe your numbers are bit optimistic. While I am sure we have a few RL members that can get near peak performance (90%) I doubt very much most of us can get anywhere near that.

I rode hot laps at road Atlanta with Hurley Haywood racing Dave Murrey in 911's. I also have rode with Dave Murrey. When I compare the speeds they attained with some of the "instructors" I rode with the gap was considerable.

That said, I am sure there are amateurs who could give both Hurley and Dave a run for their money. My point was the bulk of the Porsche owners do not have the talent to extract what the modern Porsche's are capable of.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick
My point was the bulk of the Porsche owners do not have the talent to extract what the modern Porsche's are capable of.
Aside from those who just collect them in a museum or garage, I think the profile of the GT3 RS buyer is quite different from the average Porsche consumer - a very large percentage of these cars are tracked and tracked pretty hard.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:09 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess what gets me is that for that much money, I'd rather have a 650S. At least the GT3 is still in the mid 100s. For the price Porsche changes for the RS, you'd expect it to be pretty darn fast, or more luxurious. It's not going to be faster than many of its competitors and if won't be any nicer on the inside than a Cayman. So it really just narrows the market to people who will only buy Porsche, and with the way they handled the GT3 situation so far, that number may be shrinking.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:13 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Aside from those who just collect them in a museum or garage, I think the profile of the GT3 RS buyer is quite different from the average Porsche consumer - a very large percentage of these cars are tracked and tracked pretty hard.
Interesting. Do you have data to back that up? Based on the for sale RS and RS 4.0s and the people that I know that have them, I would guess fewer people track them.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:18 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I guess what gets me is that for that much money, I'd rather have a 650S. At least the GT3 is still in the mid 100s. For the price Porsche changes for the RS, you'd expect it to be pretty darn fast, or more luxurious. It's not going to be faster than many of its competitors and if won't be any nicer on the inside than a Cayman. So it really just narrows the market to people who will only buy Porsche, and with the way they handled the GT3 situation so far, that number may be shrinking.
I don't think a 650S can be had for anything close to $200k. You can definitely get a slightly used 12C for that budget...but not a 650S.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
U think I care if any 991 gt3 passes me. I don't. Hell lotta cars pass me but never I say "well I got a race engine". As stated before I want this motor to be raced. Yeah I admit I kinda like to watch cupcars/rsr's racing and its neat that the old motor is still being used and it has some ties to the street cars and would like to expect the 991 gt3 9a1 to do the same. Don't u think watching you're new motor run in professional motorsports? Hell it makes it more enjoyable. I have no hidden agenda just to let u know. Just want to know is there any news. One poster says its not pertinent and you bulldozing me. Wth? Mike
It was a hypothetical; I really don't know (or care) what, if anything, you say to yourself when someone passes you.

Of course I'd like to see them race the 9A1, but that's not the point. We all know that for whatever reason it's obviously not being raced at this time. It's also obvious that there are people who like to take the occasional shot at the 991 GT3 by repeatedly raising the same questions and making the same comments on this subject. That's ok, but don't be surprised if there is an occasional response.

You're free to continue to voice the same opinions and when this particular subject comes up I'm free to continue to find it tiresome. But no one is being "bulldozed".
Old 06-17-2014, 07:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Do you have data to back that up? Based on the for sale RS and RS 4.0s and the people that I know that have them, I would guess fewer people track them.
Just anecdotal on the RS, but I think Porsche has stated that 80% of all GT3's (including RS) are tracked at some point.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:23 PM
Leadfoot01
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree that many of the RS's make it to the track--and that is their primary purpose. To that end, that's why I have decided to spend $100K on a ZO7 that will (from the looks of it) handily outperform the $200K RS. I may well be wrong--only time will tell! I have to say, the new RS certainly looks awesome!!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:34 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Working on it.

And no need to start a new board as we already have one: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cup-cars-151/

Best part, it's agnostic when it comes to motors. In fact many of us are eagerly awaiting the new motor going racing.
Have you changed your post-Daytona outlook?

Originally Posted by Nizer
9A1. Like waiting on Gadot
Old 06-17-2014, 09:49 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Guys, are we serious when we talk about "the way Porsche handled the situation"?

Yes, the communications were poor but have you seen how Ferrari, BMW or Toyota handle recalls? (I won't stoop to mention GM). Is it any better? Not from my chair.

As for compensation, which company in memory has provided loaners w/o question for months? And not just any loaners but $100k+ loaners?

Which manufacturer has compensated folks in cash? Extended warranty by 12 months?

Or done all of the above simultaneously?

And provided new engines to mitigate the risk of poor repair?

Sorry but I ask myself those questions when I get frustrated and I come-up empty handed.... And everyone I mention it to is impressed by the support...

Ok, so we had to fight a bit to level the playing field but when was the last time you had a free lunch?

So what?

Let's stop whining and move forward. And if that's too much to ask, give it up and go home!

Alain
Old 06-17-2014, 10:01 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alaint101
Guys, are we serious when we talk about "the way Porsche handled the situation"?

Yes, the communications were poor but have you seen how Ferrari, BMW or Toyota handle recalls? (I won't stoop to mention GM). Is it any better? Not from my chair.

As for compensation, which company in memory has provided loaners w/o question for months? And not just any loaners but $100k+ loaners?

Which manufacturer has compensated folks in cash? Extended warranty by 12 months?

Sorry but I ask myself those questions when I get frustrated and I come-up empty handed.... And everyone I mention it to is impressed by the support...

Ok, so we had to fight a bit to level the playing field but when was the last time you had a free lunch?

So what?

Let's stop whining and move forward. And if that's too much to ask, give it up and go home!

Alain
Totally agree with this!

For me Porsche handled it very well!
Old 06-17-2014, 10:37 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alaint101

So what?

Alain
Excellent post!
Old 06-18-2014, 12:23 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

First of all; we have to stop thinking PAG are a bunch of idiots. This die cast RS release was certainly part of their doing. Why not??; look how much attention it is getting and a refocus on the GT series. They are brilliant and have been at marketing their perception for over 50 years. Now, their Customer Service sucks but let's give them a break. They used to be a small company that is struggling with growing pains and an unexpected issue that humbled them incredibly. They will learn and adapt.

In the end they have treated us fairly but I wished for more consistency and, of course, better communication which is the customer service thing again.

The 991 RS; hell, this car will be a statement. I am proud of them and I hope it is a beast. I do not track cars so it is out of my league but for those that do their mouths must be watering. Who cares what you can extract out of it. If it is your flavor and you have no issue spending the dough; have at it. And when I see it on the street I will certainly be enjoying the site.

And for me; I have chosen the 991 Gt3 for now-money aside. may even step down to a GT4 if it is a return to the "purist". But, although I do not track my cars; from the looks of the renderings, I would take this over the 650S because for an extra $60,000 the 650S will not amuse as much as I believe the RS would. Big wing or not; you may think women love men in a Ferrari; they love men in cars that serve more than egos that still make a statement.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS die-cast model