Sponsored by:

G Forces

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:52 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Yes, it's exaggerated, but not drastically. I was getting almost 1.5G sustained on another device. It's a combination of sticky tires, good suspecsion and favorable banking of turns. Banking does wonders for G forces (and makes by back sore afterwards).
Wow! Great to know that another device showed that much as well. My AIM SOLO showed 1.3-1.4 max but if I recall correctly, Orthojoe pointed out that AIM uses GPS unless calibrated and set in a different way, which I never did. Yes, the banking and back, I unfortunately know a lot about that too!
Old 05-26-2014, 12:10 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Ah. I could have sworn I read some article or something that referenced it.

Chances are it was mistaken, I guess.
I recall reading the same thing about tire temp.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Wow! Great to know that another device showed that much as well. My AIM SOLO showed 1.3-1.4 max but if I recall correctly, Orthojoe pointed out that AIM uses GPS unless calibrated and set in a different way, which I never did. Yes, the banking and back, I unfortunately know a lot about that too!

Aim solo has an accurate internal accelerometer, but that needs to be calibrated every time you change the mounting position of the device. If you don't calibrate, it will be off. If you don't want to calibrate, the unit will also read Gs based on gps calculations, but that isn't as good as a calibrated internal accelerometer.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:52 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm 99% certain that the electric emergency brake is a separate unit from the main service brakes. Tim has that great Technical Information book for the car. I'll bet it's shown in there....Tim?

Also, after reading about the pedal drop in Sam's car I went out, started mine up and tried releasing and setting the e-brake several times and could detect no change in the pedal position. I can't explain the discrepancy with what Sam experienced.

I've never tried the "****" feature, but one can't release the e-brake with the door open unless the service brake is depressed so the two are obviously related.

It is possible.

BTW: There is a separate fuse just for the e-brake button....
I think I might have been mistaken. I was writing what I thought I remembered but since I have been driving the Range Rover lately (and it dips the pedal a ton with brake application), I possibly confused both cars. I am tired of taking the car cover off and on so I won't try it, especially that I trust your finding. The more I think about it, the more I believe the systems may not be connected, especially that the rear e-brake has its separate drum pads, not the disc ones.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I never photographed the g-force screen before I shipped the car from Europe (and the battery has likely since been disconnected) but I notes left had max g at around 1.47 (on the road).

As far as Im aware its not easily achievable to measure the temp of the tyre. The best you can do is look at each 1 bar as 10 celcius which IRCC is the technical correlation. I use the TPMS to simply tell me when my tyres are "warm" vs "cold" for spirited drives.

I dont think a tyre air temp reading would be much use at the track really. When we measure the tyre temp we use a pyrometer probe across three points (width of the tyre). It differs alot depending on camber and toe/castor. The temp of the air in the tyre and thus teh pressure are directly related but they say nothing about the contract patch and the temps across the tyres tread.

There is a formal delta between a rise in PSI and temperature. The TPMS is set to record nominal values at 20 Celcius according to the manual. Once you know this and your static readings you can quite easily calculate the temp. I.e. if 2.9 fronts = 20 C then 3.2 fronts are 50 C and 3.5 fronts are 80 C (and pretty darn hot). If I recall some autobahn type runs (200-280kmph) in the GT3 created front and rear temps around +50 C higher than nominal...
Old 06-03-2014, 11:05 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I never photographed the g-force screen before I shipped the car from Europe (and the battery has likely since been disconnected) but I notes left had max g at around 1.47 (on the road).
I think 1.47g is the magic number!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:11 PM
tradervic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of G׳ force, wasn't there a G on here that was picking up talent in his 991 GT3?

That guy was G and has all y'all beat.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:22 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't believe that these reading actually mean anything useful since they are only transient, but I noticed this after my track day at Laguna on Saturday. I'm betting the 1.81G is from the dip at the apex of T6. Cup2 tires.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:07 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks similar to mine. I think the elevation changes at Road Atlanta contribute to my high readings. Not sure what explains my higher braking force. Using PFC11s.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2015, 02:23 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I was looking for this thread earlier. Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2015, 04:05 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

At NYST- New York Safety Track. Dunlop Sport Maxx's

Some of you guys have some real impressive numbers, I thought I was cool for a minute till I saw them
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2019, 05:05 PM
NovaT
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CUP 2s

I never looked at the max (didn’t even know it was recording) until I found this thread.

My my first post btw, so let me introduce myself. I got a Chalk ‘18 Touring on Cup 2 tires 33psi front and 36psi rear when hot.
Im in Miami so my 2 go to tracks are Sebring and homestead.

These numbers are most probably from my last run at Sebring.

I’m surprised I got over 1G in acceleration (must be through a corner?)

Cheers
Old 08-17-2019, 06:45 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

^ I'd be interested to see some more updated .2 numbers
Old 08-17-2019, 07:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaT
I’m surprised I got over 1G in acceleration (must be through a corner?)

Cheers
No, would have to be a launch from rest. That’s how I got 1.27g in a Turbo:

Old 08-17-2019, 07:37 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Quick Reply: G Forces