Sponsored by:

Observations of New Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Observations of New Engines

Folks I posted this on Pistonheads today but thought I would repost here.

I must caveat the below with the fact I have not driven teh new engine myself yet so some of this is supposition but all of it results from direct discussions and also reading feedback from around 3-4 new engine owners.

I have spoken today with a couple of people who have their new engines.

"What Apollo is experiencing is true.

It appears however the reasoning behind it is different than many may expect.

The 991 GT3 in original tune had a torque dip from 3000-4000 rpm. The sport button boosted the torque after 4200 rpm. The new engine has updated software. Apart from optimising the throttle response and shifts it also opens the side muffler bypass valves approx 1000 rpm lower giving more noise at lower rpm but also improving the toque in that area making for a more regular curve.

I believe this is what Apolo refers to as giving more torque low down and F1 sound from earlier.

I have also been told there is a blue instrument light that gives warning to temp until engine is warm and also that the car feels sharper and more precise with the RWS. This was told to me by someone who has driven the new engine 1100 km in the last 36 hours since fitting and is for the next two days driving the car at Spa!

So, in fairness to Apollo who get a ribbing (probably more for his delivery than his content) I have to confess having spoken today to French and Swiss owners of the new engine who have pout 500-1100 km already on the car this is their thoughts.

They are not saying its quicker. They have said the car feels like it turns faster and that it makes more noise lower down etc. They also say its been 3+ months since they drove the car so very hard to gauges exactly the changes by the bum...

Its is also confirmed there are new screens to protect the rads in front of front wheels.

Remember the software updates for RWS, PDK and Engine ECU (exhaust valves etc) were likely to have been implemented over time in any case but were obviously flashed to the vehicle as part of the engine replacement protocol.

I think there is no doubt for those who have recovered their car that Porsche have re delivered a very capable machine. Infact probably more capable than the one they left at the dealer! The only question left is reliability....

Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 86 Posts

Mark, thanks good information. FWIW, the 2015 engines will not be any different than the new 2014 engines.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Great input, Macca. Thanks! To your point about the ECU flash I happened to speak with my service manager yesterday and he said that they have had software updates in the computer for a while now waiting to be implemented but, of course, without any cars to apply them to!
Old 05-16-2014, 10:18 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,438 Likes on 750 Posts

Macca - excellent objective update, as always delivered
Old 05-16-2014, 11:02 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice! Real nice. Thanks, Macca. BTW, when is your replacement date? Sorry if I missed your post about that.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:15 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, Macca. This is great news indeed.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:42 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

One of my concerns about the car is the torque between 2k-4k. It appears, comparing the power charts from Porsche, that my 991S actually has more torque up to 4k. I'm curious what the impression of people will be when switching from 991S loaners back to the GT3.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:54 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
One of my concerns about the car is the torque between 2k-4k. It appears, comparing the power charts from Porsche, that my 991S actually has more torque up to 4k. I'm curious what the impression of people will be when switching from 991S loaners back to the GT3.
I went from a 991 S to my 991 GT3 and it is night and day. Nobody would confuse driving the two. Totally different tuning.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I was also concerned looking at the torque curve but in practice the engine doesn't feel deficient in the lower ranges. The shorter overall gearing and more closely spaced ratios in the GT3 make up for the lower torque in that part of the power band. Not to mention the fact that the greater RPM headroom means that you tend to drive the car with higher revs anyway.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As Mike in CA has said in reality the super shifting PDK-S box hides the deficiency very well.

However it now appears a thing of the past. Two out of the three folk Ive spoken to with the new engine over the last 48 hours say it pulls stronger lower down.

Sam. I was told Friday I will have my date on Monday. I am hoping for a June delivery into NZ (long flights!) and back on the road definitely by 01 July - but i will know Monday if this is realistic. My build date was 20-27 Nov 2013....
Old 05-17-2014, 02:51 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sure it's fantastic above 4k, but I prefer to not drive over 4k on my way to work. That's for weekends. Anyway, I'm still super excited about the car - I was just curious for those who have tried both.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:09 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's going to be/is just perfect
Old 05-17-2014, 10:52 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,438 Likes on 750 Posts

Can any one verify if they have placed a mesh cover to protect the radiator
Old 05-17-2014, 02:14 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 590 Posts

I'm sure it's fantastic above 4k, but I prefer to not drive over 4k on my way to work. That's for weekends. Anyway, I'm still super excited about the car - I was just curious for those who have tried both.
There is no reason not to - it's just pulling a paddle. They even reduced the paddle throw for particularly reluctant drivers . Or if you leave it in auto, it happens automatically and seamlessly. It's not tedious or anything like that - very natural. So torque at low revs is made pretty much irrelevant for performance driving.

But GT3 feels noticeably faster than C2S even below 4K RPM. I think it's a combination of 1) shorter gearing; 2) lighter internals and other rotating masses, so engine has lower inertia; 3) faster and sharper throttle response.

As much as I am pissed at Porsche for how it handled stop drive, I still cannot believe what a bargain this car is. The engine feels like it's from an exotic car at least twice as expensive as Carrera S, and so does the gearbox. And I am talking about pre-replacement engine that was not fully broken in.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:03 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps this goes without saying, but I think I speak for all of us when I implore owners to post not only their impressions of the new engine and other upgrades, BUT also video clips! Please!

Quick Reply: Observations of New Engines