Sponsored by:

Observations of New Engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 04:56 AM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by igirl
So yes, I am one of the lucky owners who get his 991 GT3 back!
And I have spent 2 days on track (Magny-Cours) with it.
For info, I have driven 1.600 km with the old engine but no track day.

Here are some personal feelings:
- the new engine does not feel different from the old one
- a new blue icon appears at start up if the engine is cold (I was very surprised at the beginning, I thought it was a bug!)
- sport exhaust mode: with the old engine, you had to rev higher than 5.000 rpm to hear the difference; now, since the very beginning, you can notice the difference! nice
- RWS: what I have noticed is now the car changes direction immediately, since the first degrees, more noticeable than before
- on road, the car is nice but not the best choice for everyday use (I prefer my 458 Speciale)
- on track, it is a completely different animal! what a car!! gear changes are awesome, really! the engine sound after 5.000 rpm is very nice and "mechanical" (I still prefer the 458 Speciale sound)
- think about it: on the same track, I do a complete lap in 1"55 with my 458 Speciale. With the 991 GT3? ... 1"56! !! Yes, just a difference of 1 sec! With a car that has 130hp less and costs 100 KE less!

I love that GT3. More each day.
I do not really enjoy to drive it on open roads, I "hate" the lack of torque before 5.000 rpm (I even prefer my M3 CRT for everyday use). A Porsche technical guy told me that I will have a different feeling after 3.000 km... We will see.
But when you drive on track... Oh my god! The car is so so stable, the grip is insane!!

I hope this short review will help you to wait for your babe...
why are you putting a decimal point in your numbers for rpm and km's? lol
Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 AM
sk0t
Instructor

Because that's the way they roll in Europe.
Some countries in the world use decimal points, some countries use commas.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:23 AM
mainly
Racer

Originally Posted by sk0t
Because that's the way they roll in Europe.
Some countries in the world use decimal points, some countries use commas.
ah...

an easier way would be to just use nothing at all.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
As much as I am pissed at Porsche for how it handled stop drive, I still cannot believe what a bargain this car is. The engine feels like it's from an exotic car at least twice as expensive as Carrera S, and so does the gearbox. And I am talking about pre-replacement engine that was not fully broken in.
The GT3 in the US is a comparative bargain. Seems like it didn't go up market like the other cars. And no matter how I configure it I might just be over $150K with lift, a lot of options but no wart. Hell you can get a 4S Cab decked out and you are approaching $150 these days!
Old 05-31-2014, 01:24 AM
sk0t
Instructor

Originally Posted by mainly
an easier way would be to just use nothing at all.
Maybe but then we should also discuss date formats, which would be really OT
Old 05-31-2014, 02:27 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by sk0t
Maybe but then we should also discuss date formats, which would be really OT
If we are going there, I literally needed to buy something sized 121/256 of an inch (which itself is 1/12 of someones foot) only because the vendor had no idea what 12mm is... I'm fine with dates and numerics, but system of measurement borrowed from the Hobbit tales is driving me nuts sometimes.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:01 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by igirl
So yes, I am one of the lucky owners who get his 991 GT3 back!
And I have spent 2 days on track (Magny-Cours) with it.
For info, I have driven 1.600 km with the old engine but no track day.

Here are some personal feelings:
- the new engine does not feel different from the old one
- a new blue icon appears at start up if the engine is cold (I was very surprised at the beginning, I thought it was a bug!)
- sport exhaust mode: with the old engine, you had to rev higher than 5.000 rpm to hear the difference; now, since the very beginning, you can notice the difference! nice
- RWS: what I have noticed is now the car changes direction immediately, since the first degrees, more noticeable than before
- on road, the car is nice but not the best choice for everyday use (I prefer my 458 Speciale)
- on track, it is a completely different animal! what a car!! gear changes are awesome, really! the engine sound after 5.000 rpm is very nice and "mechanical" (I still prefer the 458 Speciale sound)
- think about it: on the same track, I do a complete lap in 1"55 with my 458 Speciale. With the 991 GT3? ... 1"56! !! Yes, just a difference of 1 sec! With a car that has 130hp less and costs 100 KE less!

I love that GT3. More each day.
I do not really enjoy to drive it on open roads, I "hate" the lack of torque before 5.000 rpm (I even prefer my M3 CRT for everyday use). A Porsche technical guy told me that I will have a different feeling after 3.000 km... We will see.
But when you drive on track... Oh my god! The car is so so stable, the grip is insane!!

I hope this short review will help you to wait for your babe...
Enzo Ferrari once said that "Aerodynamics were for people who couldn't build engines"..... . .

And if you like your Special 458 so much, why don't you do a Marry it... that's just Joking of Course.

And in much more capable hands I'm sure that the GT3, it's not even an RS, could get a better time unless igirl is really Sabine Schmitz.

Those folks are right what they told you, you could get a second to two more a lap after a few thousand miles.

Though I'm more than certain igirl can out drive me keep up the good work.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:04 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,000 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
The GT3 in the US is a comparative bargain. Seems like it didn't go up market like the other cars. And no matter how I configure it I might just be over $150K with lift, a lot of options but no wart. Hell you can get a 4S Cab decked out and you are approaching $150 these days!
You're telling me...I optioned out a 154.5k 2015 C4S coupe for my mother...my GT3 spec was only 10k more!?
Old 05-31-2014, 04:58 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Yup, The GT3 is currently the biggest bang for your bug for street/daily driving/track driving there is.

Each I configure one I barely scrape over $150 with lift and and PCM, NO WART!

You can thank VW for having Porsche raise their prices on their Prestige Car the 911 so called taking it UP MARKET whatever that means. Oh wait a second, charge more for it.

911 GT3
$130,400
Exterior Color
Carrara White Metallic
$710
Interior Color
Leather Interior in Black/Alcantara® with Stitching in Red
$3,480
Exterior
Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor
$690
Deletion of Model Designation
Clear Glass Taillights
$650
LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
$3,110
Extended Range Fuel Tank
$0
Performance
Front Axle Lift System
$3,490
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
$0
Wheels
20" GT3 Wheels
$0
Interior
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
Fire Extinguisher
$140
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
$2,635
Interior Leather
Leather Interior Package with Decorative Red Stitching
$1,490
Audio and Communications
Electronic Logbook
$650
Sound Package Plus
$700
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. Navigation Module
$0
SiriusXM® Satellite Radio & HD Radio Receiver
$1,120

Total Price*

$150,260

One of the reasons I'm leaning away from a base Turbo with all the leather goodies, bit & bobs that would send me nearly an extra $30K on top of the purchase. The GT3 is here with 475BHP, not the Torque - but there has to be something said about making that much power without Forced Induction and just letting the engine shriek, with a Sharky Bypass as you're driving into a long tunnel. We have a couple of those around the Long Beach Airport, Tunnels that is. Just like that one up in Berkeley.

That and we get to have our fun on weekends during D.E.'s - that is until Porsche get's everything fixed back up and they get the ball rolling again with production.

Don't get me wrong there are many different reasons for getting the specific car that you or someone else wanted and if you wish to pay for it by all means have your fun. It's just the Non GT and Turbo and Special Edition cars are overpriced plain and simple. So much for going "UP MARKET".

I wonder how much it will take to get the new GT3 at or over 500 BHP at the Crank? Exhaust, intake and a new mapping? Porsche must have something is reserve otherwise they would not have put out the car as it is. They try to, COUGH COUGH, over-build everything and the two engines that first just came up and bit them on the bottom, caused their bottoms to catch fire. Sadly they are now paying for it but now the consumers are getting an even better engine Because of it.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:44 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Wow, I have the same build didn't get the wart either. First build I have heard of with metallic white. Oh minus the log book, and I ordered the extra cabin lights, red instruments.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:53 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Wow, I have the same build didn't get the wart either. First build I have heard of with metallic white. Oh minus the log book, and I ordered the extra cabin lights, red instruments.
Ok, I'm stumped. What's the WART?
Old 05-31-2014, 11:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
The Sport Chrono timer on top of the dash.....lovingly called the "wart".
Old 06-01-2014, 10:44 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think people didn't like it in the 997 because it looked like it was an after thought. For the 991, it integrates with the dash much more nicely and some, myself included, like the looks of it. For 2014 it was inexpensive so I added it for the aesthetics alone. For 2015, it is now over a grand because it integrates a more complex lap timer and I probably wouldn't get it.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:14 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Sam. On the 997, it looked like something glued to the dash. On the 991 it is integrated into the dash.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:17 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks Mike! I'm taking mine Wart(s) and all !

Quick Reply: Observations of New Engines