Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone installed clear side markers yet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,454 Likes on 758 Posts

How many are changing the rear red reflectors on the back of the car??

I thought about it but I did not like the painted ones' bumperplug offer. And I am not questioning their quality, which is always very good, but you still see the outline and if dirt collects in the cracks surrounding them I think it will become even more pronounced. I also think the red reflector matches the tail lights so I am going to leave put
Old 05-05-2014, 01:39 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
How many are changing the rear red reflectors on the back of the car?? I thought about it but I did not like the painted ones' bumperplug offer. And I am not questioning their quality, which is always very good, but you still see the outline and if dirt collects in the cracks surrounding them I think it will become even more pronounced. I also think the red reflector matches the tail lights so I am going to leave put
I'm staying put. Red tails and reflectors.

Man. We're all really going stir crazy!
Old 05-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Yeh -but at least we are talking about the same things we were when we were all excited and expecting our deliveries - Things have come full circle and I am starting to get a little hop in my step again. I just hope they deliver some good news that the replacements will be sooner than later. My expectation is 2 months and I hope that is conservative. Would love to have before the 4th of July holiday.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:42 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeh -but at least we are talking about the same things we were when we were all excited and expecting our deliveries - Things have come full circle and I am starting to get a little hop in my step again. I just hope they deliver some good news that the replacements will be sooner than later. My expectation is 2 months and I hope that is conservative. Would love to have before the 4th of July holiday.
I'm with you. 7/4 is also the conservative date in my mind.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by cartester
I did these on my 991 Turbo S Cab. Do not use a tool, no need to mess with the headlights.

Slide it back (toward the wheel) slightly with your fingers (1/8 inch or so) to clear the plastic engagement hook from the catch then pull the end (the end that is nearest the wheel) towards you (away from the car) and out. This takes some force to release the spring but do not use a tool. A wire is attached so it will not come out very far.

To reinstall reverse the process. Make sure the plastic hook is engaged first as you slide it in then press the wheel side end back in to snap in the spring.
That seems like it should work (obviously it did for you) as the marker moves back very slightly but it just doesn't want to pull out with the amount of force I'm willing to give it. The lens of the marker is quite slick from waxing and I can't get a good purchase on it. I suspect I'm not sliding it back quite far enough and I don't want to break anything. I've replaced the lights on my 996, 997.2, Boxster, and Cayenne so it's frustrating not to be able to get this done. I'll try again when the lights actually come and if necessary leave it to the dealer. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^ Have a Margarita first and then you will get it to work
Old 05-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^ Have a Margarita first and then you will get it to work
Hadn't thought of that!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:35 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That seems like it should work (obviously it did for you) as the marker moves back very slightly but it just doesn't want to pull out with the amount of force I'm willing to give it. The lens of the marker is quite slick from waxing and I can't get a good purchase on it. I suspect I'm not sliding it back quite far enough and I don't want to break anything. I've replaced the lights on my 996, 997.2, Boxster, and Cayenne so it's frustrating not to be able to get this done. I'll try again when the lights actually come and if necessary leave it to the dealer. Thanks.
Mike - I had the dealer do it upon delivery...It was definitely above my pay grade.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:48 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 595 Posts

Ok, I went and checked, and I was right. You need to take pull out headlights. Literally takes 5 minutes. Here is DIY step by step:

1. Open the frunk and take out the micro-toolbox on the drivers side. In that toolbox find a long black box with scredriver and other tools. There is a special long aluminium stick for removing headlight there.

2. Take that headlight tool and stick in into the hole that was previously covered by the small tool box. There are two holes there - one covered by horizontal rubber plug and one by vertical. Use the one covered by the vertical plug, the lower one.

3. Twist the tool slightly, and the headlight will move forward. Pull it out more by hand, but no need to remove it completely.

4. You will see the back side of the side marker. Now push the spring on the marker with your finger, and it will pop out (marker, not finger ideally )

5. Disconnect wires.

Now repeat in the opposite order to install the new marker. There is no need to use headlight removal tool to reinstall the headlight - it pops in.

DONE. 5 minutes both sides. No need to push, tug, risk breaking anything. Pictures attached below.
Attached Images     
Old 05-06-2014, 01:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

MaxTVL. Great work mate. Bit of effort to go and do that for a fellow junkie but much appreciated and Im sure Mike will be stoked.

As for the rear reflectors. This is probably more a concern for folks with cars that are not red! I bought the bumperplugs replacement white units. They were not cheap! Im still undecided whether to fit them. Ill probably have the dealer slip them in along with the sharkwerks bypass pipe and the rear badge delete when the new engine is installed as that rear bumper will be removed on their coin. I cant but help think that like someone else said they will get dirty around the edges. I just dont like the look of the red reflectors thats all. If someone in the aftermarket world could make some clear reflectors Id ditch the red ones no worries...
Old 05-06-2014, 02:26 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I've had the headlights out on my 997 and it's easy. The fact that you can get to the side markers on the 991 from the backside makes it the perfect solution. Thanks Max, for the suggestion, pics, and write up!

P.S. Went out and tried it. Works great, turn lever counter clockwise, pull headlight part way out, access clip. You mentioned that your light pops back in. Just FWIW, I found that mine was still loose until I locked it in place by turning the lever back clockwise until it clicked, which is what I also remember from my 997.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 05-06-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Macca- Are you removing the "Porsche GT3" badge on the back and leaving plain?

I ordered from Bumperplugs the 997.2 "GT3" badge which is a lot larger and was going to delete the "Porsche GT3" on the 991 and just put the larger "GT3" emblem and leave it by itself like on the 997 models
Old 05-06-2014, 04:07 PM
JB991
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Anyone in the greater Houston area need a set? I ordered them long ago, and now that I'm not getting the GT3, I need to unload these. Box is collecting dust.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Macca- Are you removing the "Porsche GT3" badge on the back and leaving plain?

I ordered from Bumperplugs the 997.2 "GT3" badge which is a lot larger and was going to delete the "Porsche GT3" on the 991 and just put the larger "GT3" emblem and leave it by itself like on the 997 models

Jimmy. I have always been adamant I will remove the "Porsche" & "GT3" badges from the rear bumper and just replace with a new centred "GT3" badge for a clean "old school GT3" look. I had this photoshopped along with the reflectors "whited out" and IMO it looks 100% better than the busy retro "Porsche" lettering etc. Especially on white. I even bought a replacement 991 GT3 OEM badge.

I understand you share the same view.

Then I read you post about the older 97 GT3 badge being bigger and realised that the new one is smaller than the older ones I was envisioning. Damn. they weren't cheap either but i have now ordered one of those too! Before i drive the car next it will have the badge delete and upgrade and the sharkworks bypass.

However it wasnt
Old 05-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Mark, will the bypass void the warranty?

Quick Reply: Anyone installed clear side markers yet?