Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap Dates

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:25 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at my dealer here in Germany the other day. There was a 991 GT3 on the show room floor that already had its transplant completed. The original owner sold the car back and the new owner bought it before the swap was complete--I don't know the price. I was told that the engine failures occurred when the car was being driven at low rpm's and lower speeds. Running the motor "flat out" at the high end of the RPM range never posed a problem on the original motor. The modification will remove the chances of a failure occurring when one is driving the car at lower RPM speeds. I have no reason to doubt the engineer that told me this but it will be interesting to read what Porsche officially releases on this.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:46 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by cbweaver1
...it will be interesting to read what Porsche officially releases on this.
Not much besides what we already know IMO.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:54 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cbweaver1
I was at my dealer here in Germany the other day. There was a 991 GT3 on the show room floor that already had its transplant completed. The original owner sold the car back and the new owner bought it before the swap was complete--I don't know the price. I was told that the engine failures occurred when the car was being driven at low rpm's and lower speeds. Running the motor "flat out" at the high end of the RPM range never posed a problem on the original motor. The modification will remove the chances of a failure occurring when one is driving the car at lower RPM speeds. I have no reason to doubt the engineer that told me this but it will be interesting to read what Porsche officially releases on this.
While I'd love to have more detail on the exact nature of the failure and the fix...my guess is that we've heard all we'll hear from PAG in an official capacity.

Speaking for myself, as long as the car is safe and functions as intended and advertised, I can accept it. I just want to move on and actually enjoy ownership!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:44 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Well, Stacy's (RUF RS) car for starters. Remember, I specifically talked about CAT B prospective owners whose gt3's were still in Germany, and not those already shipped abroad & in storage at US ports.

It would be good if we can get an idea of how many others CAT B prospective owners are in Stacy's odd predicament. That is what I am trying to figure out and discuss on this forum.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Eduardo,
I would like to know why there is such a prolonged production period for the MY'14 cars waiting at the Factory?
If the info given to Clocked is correct that his car will exit Prod in mid-July, and other cars are still coming out in September...is it the August Vacations or ?
I am guessing there can't be more than 50-100 cars that were in Prod during the Stop Sale, so why two+ months to finish these cars?
and just a comment on your 'theory' about PAG subtly trying to force Cat B (V260/270) cars into cancellation...why would PAG appove the loaners?
Basically, I can wait this out w/ the loaner, collect the comp & flip the car if I don't like the end result?
Old 06-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Clocked
Racer

GTEE3: My plan is to do exactly what you indicated. My dealer gave me a brand new (had 10 miles on it and MSRP of $134k) 911 S Cab. In Chicago during the summer it works fine for me. Not fast but you can't always get what you want.

If and when I get the GT3 and it is not pristine i.e. paint work etc from sitting outside for months, I will flip it in a heart beat.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:32 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

^
Clocked,
My source told me the 'In-Prod' cars are stored in Factory warehouses on the PAG complex.
I have tried to get a second confirm from RL'ers that are/have visiting the Factory...but no luck so far.
But last resort, I would guess that final inspection at the Factory would NOT release a car for shipment that has damage?
But
Old 06-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
^
Clocked,
My source told me the 'In-Prod' cars are stored in Factory warehouses on the PAG complex.
I have tried to get a second confirm from RL'ers that are/have visiting the Factory...but no luck so far.
But last resort, I would guess that final inspection at the Factory would NOT release a car for shipment that has damage?
But
I'll be at the factory in 3 weeks. Maybe I can get someone to talk to me.....
Old 06-04-2014, 01:09 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

^
Thanks Mike!
if nothing else, just look around the complex and see if GT3s are parked outside?
have a Great trip, you will enjoy!
p.s. if you need me to collect your 'new' GT3 in your absence, I am there!
Old 06-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^Thanks Phil, and I'll keep my eyes peeled. Also, your kind offer is appreciated. I'll let you know.....
Old 06-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Clocked
Racer

Mike, glad to pick yours up for you as well. I will fly to LA, pick it up drive to Chicago and then turn around to get my round trip ticket back to Chicago. I think 5,000 miles should do it for a proper break in.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:43 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
^
Thanks Mike!
if nothing else, just look around the complex and see if GT3s are parked outside?
have a Great trip, you will enjoy!
p.s. if you need me to collect your 'new' GT3 in your absence, I am there!
Last week there were a couple gt3s parked within the factory grounds but i was not at liberty to walk the grounds freely and was not close enough to tell if NAmer or euro bumpers/side indicators, etc. And no cameras allowed either. But did not see parking lots full of them fwiw.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:57 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

^ <3mph, Much Appreciated!
Old 06-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,466 Likes on 765 Posts

I am sure the cars that are sitting back in Germany are going to be in better shape than those sitting at the Port but Porsche has conveyed "your car will be delivered as new - Whatever it takes even if PCNA has to get involved to make that experience realized". - if not - I will walk and not even sign a thing or take and flip if market is right.
Now - I think all the delays are quite simple; and that goes for all of our cars that were expected to be on the road right now. Porsche is not going to change their whole production upside down for ~785 cars. That would create even a bigger mess. At this point they feel they have corrected the issue, will replace all engines with an equal to better engine, and they feel they have compensated all, enough. So they build the new engines ect as time permits. Hence, the longer lead times. Plus, I am sure extra testing is being done on each engine. At this point they have also probably had enough with all of this( and so have we). That is why they will cut the 2015 allocations down because they used the 2014s that were reclassified. In the end, this will help all 2014/15s because this car in a couple years will be rare and still highly sort after. My $.02 - if the RS is a NA engine that car will be a collector's car. That will be the car to get. Not for me because too hard core but for those that want it - it will be a "must have". If the RS is a Turbo - the 991 GT3 cars value will sky rocket and become even more rare.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Clocked
Mike, glad to pick yours up for you as well. I will fly to LA, pick it up drive to Chicago and then turn around to get my round trip ticket back to Chicago. I think 5,000 miles should do it for a proper break in.
Clocked, such a generous offer, you guys just give and give and give......
Old 06-04-2014, 08:41 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
While I'd love to have more detail on the exact nature of the failure and the fix...my guess is that we've heard all we'll hear from PAG in an official capacity.
If they don't come clean with the exact nature of the failure and the fix, we should be able to figure out what happened based on the parts catalog & workshop manuals and the revisions to both...

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Dates