991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autoweek/Andy Pilgrim 991 GT3 vs Z/28 at Barber Motorsport Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014 | 09:55 PM
wanna911
Race Car

At the end of the day, everyone will justify their preference in some way. Bang for the buck guys will always chastise more expensive cars with less or barely more performance because of what they paid and vice versa because of lack of refinement and high quality materials. Those two arguments will never go away when it comes to GM vs Porsche.

For me it's a total package and if the car moves me. I don't expect a Camaro to be something it's not. It's still a Camaro at the end of the day. Just a very fast Camaro. It's the GT3 RS 4.0 of Camaro's. I like pony cars because they are different. And having different cars is a good thing. As for preference though, barebones interior goes more in line with a sports car than Alcantera everything IMO. That's good for taking a wife on a date, but I'll pass otherwise, so non consequential to me. I think the interior on Porsche's are getting a little to froo froo and fancy.
Old 04-11-2014 | 01:10 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Europe is digging the Camaro too.

Old 04-11-2014 | 09:23 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
At the end of the day, everyone will justify their preference in some way. Bang for the buck guys will always chastise more expensive cars with less or barely more performance because of what they paid and vice versa because of lack of refinement and high quality materials. Those two arguments will never go away when it comes to GM vs Porsche.
This is right on.

For me it's a total package and if the car moves me. I don't expect a Camaro to be something it's not. It's still a Camaro at the end of the day. Just a very fast Camaro. It's the GT3 RS 4.0 of Camaro's. I like pony cars because they are different. And having different cars is a good thing. As for preference though, barebones interior goes more in line with a sports car than Alcantera everything IMO. That's good for taking a wife on a date, but I'll pass otherwise, so non consequential to me. I think the interior on Porsche's are getting a little to froo froo and fancy.
What I find most odd about the new Porsche interiors is the rising center console... Which was modeled after the Carrera GT... Which was built that way to position the manual shifter closer to the steering wheel to minimize arm movement while shifting... Which is a transmission type that Porsche is moving away from.

I do suppose that stereo & hvac controls are easier to access, but that's hardly in the same spirit of things.
Old 04-11-2014 | 09:35 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I think the interior on Porsche's are getting a little to froo froo and fancy.
I agree, simple and functional is all that needed. The interior shouldn't be a mobile office.
Old 04-11-2014 | 11:44 AM
frayed
Race Car

Agreed and very true. But only relevant if you choose to leave a car in stock or near stock form. If you go hog wild with go fast parts, soon the refinement of the Porsche gets thrown out the window. But yeah, otherwise completely agreed.

Agreed on 'what moves me' comment. The comparison b/t the Z/28 and GT3 is on some levels silly given the price difference but at the end of the day, which car is more fun? That the bottom line for me. Pure and simple. ****, I drove an FR-S the other day. It *Loves* to be driven sideways. That car is fun! I'd consider one if I had a big garage.

As for interior, I happen to love a nice interior. Especially the look and smell of full leather in a Ferrari. So the plasticky GM interior is a demerit, but, as you say, I'm not expecting the Camaro to be something it is not.
Old 04-11-2014 | 12:00 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skxf430

Oh yeah, definitely a mullet car.....
Old 04-11-2014 | 12:23 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nizer
Oh yeah, definitely a mullet car.....
/sarcasm, correct?

That Camaro is righteous!
Old 04-11-2014 | 12:31 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

The fact that the Camaro exists is a good thing.

We're living in a golden age of automobiles right now. The Camaro is rooted in what we love. Elecrtronics are here to stay, but aren't we all at our mental limits? Does anyone want a 4-cyl turbo with small electric motors at two wheels?

It's 2014... and Chevy is putting out a V8 pushing over 500 HP... thru a 6MT! It's okay to say, "Hey, while the end run was a PR move on super sticky tires, I love my Porsche, first and foremost, and would love to run the snot out of a 500 HP V8 that has real track creds!

I live in both worlds... and the mullet world won't fully 'get' the Z/28 as much as they 'get' the ZL1.

Nevertheless, I'd like one and it's gotta goad the SVT folks at Ford to push harder... and the Corvette team is gonna push harder... and that's all good, even for the P car crowd.

Nothing like real competition to keep the champion (your Porshche line up) on its toes.

Old 04-11-2014 | 04:51 PM
frayed
Race Car

Black on track.

Old 04-11-2014 | 05:23 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skxf430

Meh, no flow-tie.
Old 04-11-2014 | 11:17 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
/sarcasm, correct?
Oh yeah
Old 04-13-2014 | 06:06 PM
Phil~
Intermediate

75K is a bit much. 65K would be a better price point. Seems more like a limited edition special than a track car.
Old 04-13-2014 | 06:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Phil~
75K is a bit much. 65K would be a better price point. Seems more like a limited edition special than a track car.
Based on what are you talking about??

http://blogs.motortrend.com/1403_the...st_enough.html
Old 04-13-2014 | 08:23 PM
handful
Instructor

Jonny Lieberman is one of the most self absorbed automotive "journalist" I know of. He actually thinks he can make a difference. The Z28 just might be an excellent car, but Lieberman's endorsement means nothing to me.
Old 04-13-2014 | 09:13 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I am just as impressed as the next enthusiast that Chevrolet made the effort. Really, I am - I sincerely hope it leads to more focused vehicles in an automotive landscape quickly becoming homogeneous. And I generally prefer Camaros to Corvettes, be it a 1969 or a 2014.

But I cannot understand why anybody would spend $75k on this as a track car? The C6 Z06 is seven hundred pounds lighter. Certainly one could make a far faster and just as reliable Z06 for less money?

If it was $50k or, say, 3,500lbs, I might be able to understand.

Quick Reply: Autoweek/Andy Pilgrim 991 GT3 vs Z/28 at Barber Motorsport Park