Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autoweek/Andy Pilgrim 991 GT3 vs Z/28 at Barber Motorsport Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014 | 09:20 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I am just as impressed as the next enthusiast that Chevrolet made the effort. Really, I am - I sincerely hope it leads to more focused vehicles in an automotive landscape quickly becoming homogeneous. And I generally prefer Camaros to Corvettes, be it a 1969 or a 2014.

But I cannot understand why anybody would spend $75k on this as a track car? The C6 Z06 is seven hundred pounds lighter. Certainly one could make a far faster and just as reliable Z06 for less money?

If it was $50k or, say, 3,500lbs, I might be able to understand.
+1
There should be plenty of these piglets available for sub $50k in two years.
Old 04-13-2014 | 09:41 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by handful
Jonny Lieberman is one of the most self absorbed automotive "journalist" I know of. He actually thinks he can make a difference. The Z28 just might be an excellent car, but Lieberman's endorsement means nothing to me.
I think he just really likes the car and thinks its worth 75k. That simple.
Old 04-13-2014 | 09:47 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Philster
The fact that the Camaro exists is a good thing.

We're living in a golden age of automobiles right now. The Camaro is rooted in what we love. Elecrtronics are here to stay, but aren't we all at our mental limits? Does anyone want a 4-cyl turbo with small electric motors at two wheels?

It's 2014... and Chevy is putting out a V8 pushing over 500 HP... thru a 6MT! It's okay to say, "Hey, while the end run was a PR move on super sticky tires, I love my Porsche, first and foremost, and would love to run the snot out of a 500 HP V8 that has real track creds!

I live in both worlds... and the mullet world won't fully 'get' the Z/28 as much as they 'get' the ZL1.

Nevertheless, I'd like one and it's gotta goad the SVT folks at Ford to push harder... and the Corvette team is gonna push harder... and that's all good, even for the P car crowd.

Nothing like real competition to keep the champion (your Porshche line up) on its toes.

Post of the month. It's a great time to be a car enthusiast.
Old 04-14-2014 | 09:23 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Philster
The fact that the Camaro exists is a good thing.

We're living in a golden age of automobiles right now. The Camaro is rooted in what we love. Elecrtronics are here to stay, but aren't we all at our mental limits? Does anyone want a 4-cyl turbo with small electric motors at two wheels?

It's 2014... and Chevy is putting out a V8 pushing over 500 HP... thru a 6MT! It's okay to say, "Hey, while the end run was a PR move on super sticky tires, I love my Porsche, first and foremost, and would love to run the snot out of a 500 HP V8 that has real track creds!

I live in both worlds... and the mullet world won't fully 'get' the Z/28 as much as they 'get' the ZL1.

Nevertheless, I'd like one and it's gotta goad the SVT folks at Ford to push harder... and the Corvette team is gonna push harder... and that's all good, even for the P car crowd.

Nothing like real competition to keep the champion (your Porshche line up) on its toes.

It may be a golden age of automobiles but it's a dismal time to be a Porsche fan. Manual disappears from the only car that really matters in the line-up, which by the way is collecting dust in ports and garages around the world. It's sporting an unproven engine that Porsche itself has been unwilling to use in motorsport. The RS is pushed off until who knows when and their latest super car has an MSRP more than double the last one.

I'm a big Porsche fan but personally I think they need to do a little back-to-their-roots soul searching. Heading back to Le Mans is a start.
Old 04-14-2014 | 11:00 AM
Neuromancer
Rennlist Member

Jonny Lieberman is one of the most self absorbed automotive "journalist" I know of. He actually thinks he can make a difference. The Z28 just might be an excellent car, but Lieberman's endorsement means nothing to me.
I was in a Bondurant course with Lieberman 18 mo ago, and he was the slowest, least capable driver there. Just sayin'. He talks a good game, though.
Old 04-14-2014 | 12:22 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
It may be a golden age of automobiles but it's a dismal time to be a Porsche fan. Manual disappears from the only car that really matters in the line-up, which by the way is collecting dust in ports and garages around the world. It's sporting an unproven engine that Porsche itself has been unwilling to use in motorsport. The RS is pushed off until who knows when and their latest super car has an MSRP more than double the last one.

I'm a big Porsche fan but personally I think they need to do a little back-to-their-roots soul searching. Heading back to Le Mans is a start.
well written. . .agree on all levels
Old 04-14-2014 | 04:10 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
well written. . .agree on all levels
+2
Good point Nizer. Very well said.
Old 04-15-2014 | 02:58 PM
handful
Instructor

Originally Posted by frayed
I think he just really likes the car and thinks its worth 75k. That simple.
I have a different take on this and it has a lot to do with preconceived notions. Jonny thought the previous iterations of the current Camaro were just ok and this was the perspective he brought when reviewing the Z28. If your expectations are low and you go into a review with these expectations, anything above that baseline is going to be a pleasant surprise. With Jonny and many of his cohorts, today's heros are tomorrow's bums. Give it time, it won't take long.
In 2012 I placed a deposit on the new gen 5 SRT Viper. In anticipation of the car I did what many of us do and that was to read every article I could get my hands on. The launch and ensuing release of the car to the automotive press was one of the worst I ever witnessed. The cars were poorly prepped and still in development and Motor Trend savaged the car.
A few months later, SRT offered Motor Trend a finished product and MotorTrend's headline was something along these lines: Motor Trend is responsible for SRT building a better car, hence my comment that Jonny and co. are self absorbed and believe they can make a difference.
Today you can buy a brand new 2013 Viper for between $20,000 and $40,000 off of msrp. The Viper is an incredible road and track car, particularly in TA (track attack) guise. If I were in the market for a dedicated track car it would be the new Viper, affectionately known as the redneck lamborghini.
Old 04-15-2014 | 03:10 PM
frayed
Race Car

redneck lambo, ha! Very descriptive.

What you say makes sense, though Jonny did say in his review that 1LE was an incredible track car, and completely changed what he thought of the dismal SS. So his opinion had been swayed pre-Z/28.

The fact that MT took credit in the rise of the Viper, however, doesn't take away from how the Z/28 drives. Most of the reviews seem pretty consistent. Two notable points I remember from other reviews:

- Steering is numb
- doesn't have the excitement of the GT3
Old 04-15-2014 | 04:51 PM
frayed
Race Car

Another review

http://jalopnik.com/the-2014-chevy-c...you-1563488553

“This is not a car you finesse. You grab it by the scruff and boss it around. Don't ease into the brakes and trail it into a corner. Stab the brakes (and do it late. Like really late.), turn in, and get right back on the gas. If you don't boss the Z/28 around, it won't dance for you. It'll think you're a bitch and won't show you its magic”
Old 04-15-2014 | 05:04 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^U don't do that in the gt3? I do that in every car I track. I let them know who is boss. Doesn't mean it came with positive results but that's my mantra : ). Mike
Old 04-15-2014 | 05:19 PM
handful
Instructor

redneck lambo, ha! Very descriptive.

What you say makes sense, though Jonny did say in his review that 1LE was an incredible track car, and completely changed what he thought of the dismal SS. So his opinion had been swayed pre-Z/28.

The fact that MT took credit in the rise of the Viper, however, doesn't take away from how the Z/28 drives. Most of the reviews seem pretty consistent. Two notable points I remember from other reviews:

- Steering is numb
- doesn't have the excitement of the GT3
You're right it doesn't take away from the positive reviews. Is an oxymoron one where you describe a 3900+ lbs. car as a track weapon! Ha! I look forward to owners' reviews.
Old 04-15-2014 | 05:42 PM
handful
Instructor

Another review

http://jalopnik.com/the-2014-chevy-c...you-1563488553

“This is not a car you finesse. You grab it by the scruff and boss it around. Don't ease into the brakes and trail it into a corner. Stab the brakes (and do it late. Like really late.), turn in, and get right back on the gas. If you don't boss the Z/28 around, it won't dance for you. It'll think you're a bitch and won't show you its magic”
I had a very pretty girl friend in college that required the same treatment. We had alot of fun.
Old 04-15-2014 | 06:39 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^U don't do that in the gt3? I do that in every car I track. I let them know who is boss. Doesn't mean it came with positive results but that's my mantra : ). Mike
LOL!
Old 04-15-2014 | 07:05 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I had a very pretty girl friend in college that required the same treatment. We had alot of fun.
And where are u now .... ? : ). Loved my college days. Mike

Quick Reply: Autoweek/Andy Pilgrim 991 GT3 vs Z/28 at Barber Motorsport Park