Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will it take from Porsche to make current GT3 owners feel "right" in the end?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:37 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

Porsche should at the very minimum allow owners to cancel their order and get 100% of their deposit back even if the car has already been constructed.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Name one other car that has a "are you waiting for an allocation thread" for it? Smell the coffee!
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458...ave-one-2.html

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Porsche should at the very minimum allow owners to cancel their order and get 100% of their deposit back even if the car has already been constructed.
You have that right already by law.

Last edited by Nizer; 03-03-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:37 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm unhappy, I'm upset, and I get more upset every time I walk past my car parked in the garage. But realistically, once they've told me they are working on the problem as quickly as they can, and will let me know when they have a solution, what is it that I should expect? Personal messages from F. Piech saying they are STILL working on it as quickly as they can? Daily progress reports on how the investigation is proceeding? I mean, that would be great, but I suspect it won't get my car on the road any sooner.

Unless I think Porsche are dragging their heels and honestly don't care about all the negatives surrounding this situation (something no rational person could possibly believe), then unhappy as I may be, I don't see any alternative to being patient.

If someone has a practical, potentially effective suggestion as to something I can do to get back in the driver's seat more quickly, I'd love to hear it. I'm not above whining, but it has to have a reasonable chance of accomplishing something.
Totally agreed.

Originally Posted by Macca
Mike. Put a gopro in the engine bay from below. One on each side from the rear bumper facing back up at the cats and the oil cooler. Set to 60fps HD and use extended batter. Then just go and drive it. Maje sure you have an extinguisher on board (least 2kg). If it catches fire put it out and phone PAG telling them you have evidence of how the fire originated. I dont think they will tell you off for using the car....LOL
Well, Mike is much too valuable to this forum to risk his life. Mike, I'll take a bullet for the forum. Let me know when the GoPros are installed and I'll come drive your car on track daily. Just trying to expedite the fix.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:53 AM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately, I don't believe Porsche will give you cash or anything really worthy.

An excuse letter and extended warranty is probably as good as you'll get.

The worst part is the resale value for the 991 GT3 is already being hit. I could see people avoiding the 2014 GT3 just because of this. In 4-5-6 years, people looking for a used GT3 will likely avoid the bad batch of 2014 and get the 2015 model. Not everyone is well educated.

Best of luck to all concerned. It sucks to pay for Porsche's R&D on top of the price of the car.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike. Put a gopro in the engine bay from below. One on each side from the rear bumper facing back up at the cats and the oil cooler. Set to 60fps HD and use extended batter. Then just go and drive it. Maje sure you have an extinguisher on board (least 2kg). If it catches fire put it out and phone PAG telling them you have evidence of how the fire originated. I dont think they will tell you off for using the car....LOL
You just keep thinkin' Butch, that's what you're good at!

(Kiwis know Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, don't they?)

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Totally agreed.

Well, Mike is much too valuable to this forum to risk his life. Mike, I'll take a bullet for the forum. Let me know when the GoPros are installed and I'll come drive your car on track daily. Just trying to expedite the fix.
Appreciate the thought, Sam. And very selfless of you to offer.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:05 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Chopin - only the best. That's great that they are willing to help you out. I wish you the best of luck.

The whole climate of this forum just sucks though. I wish people would look at the big picture and realize that they are waiting for one of the best drivers cars in the world, and not act like starving, dehydrated African children...that's all.
Drunk.

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Whole climate of this forum sucks? You mean people who pay over 6 figures for a sports car and expect feedback within a reasonable time from the manufacturer when a potentially catostrophic issue presents itself that sidelines an entire line of their top tier products? I don't know what planet you're on, or maybe if you're in the .000001 percent of wealth that anything under 500k is a night in Vegas group...but if not, how could this NOT be bothersome to you in some way/shape/form? You must be a construction contractor's wet dream...
Drunk people cant be held to their words and have at least 24h respite to edit their posts. quoting their posts is open game.

I disagree. I've mentioned this before, but 12 years ago my 996 had a broken weld in the roof area that was causing a noise that they couldn't find. Car was out of service for a month. No publicity, no fire; just PCNA, the dealer, and me. I didn't have to ask for anything, Porsche wrote a loss-of-use check for almost $900 which was the equivalent of one month's car payment.

When I asked about it, the PCNA contact I spoke to 10 days ago told me that cash compensation was a likely remedy. FWIW, I'll be surprised and disappointed if it doesn't happen.
I agree, its just money they have plenty of it. Reputation is taking a big hit, damage incalculable......

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Financial compensation is very realistic
Stoli Elit is the best vodka
No Kettel One is.

Porsche should have overnighted everyone fire bottles and camera's and a Youtube channel to upload to. Problem identified.

You just keep thinkin' Butch, that's what you're good at!

(Kiwis know Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, don't they?)

Appreciate the thought, Sam. And very selfless of you to offer.
I will test drive any 991GT3 with camera's for as much as I have time for on and off the track. in shorts and T shirt, no sissy Nomex required. I will take fire bottle to save the camera's.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Porsche should have overnighted everyone fire bottles and camera's and a Youtube channel to upload to. Problem identified.
^^^^This

BMW extended the E46M3 warranty to 100K miles (not that this would matter on a GT3) on all parts that touched engine oil when they finally admitted to a bad batch of crank bearings.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
You must be a construction contractor's wet dream...
That actually made me laugh, since I really am in that industry!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:32 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

That actually made me laugh, since I really am in that industry!
Well, it all makes sense now haha.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello fellow GT3 thumb twiddlers!
I don't think God intended man to shift gears with his thumbs, but this twiddling doesn't count as pre-season conditioning ... anyway, this question of compensation is a queer one to me.

I don't accept the premise or suggestion that Porsche has done anything wrong that requires them to make amends with buyers. If your car was one of the two that fried, yes, Porsche has to pick up the tab on those events and then some. If you already had this weekend toy in your garage and have to drive a Panamera for a couple of weeks, no harm done.

If you haven't even taken delivery (my case) you're owed nothing other than timely and candid information. I'll put the car I've ordered on a hoist at the dealership and nut and bolt it myself -- as I've done with previous cars.

I've heard Porsche has isolated the cause and effected a program for field updates. Given my car might be "corrected" at the port, I'll be careful to run over it nose to tail with my paint gauge. After that, situation normal.

That said, I do like the idea of a "complimentary" ticket to PSDS for say their two-day event, with specific content adapted to the GT3 track driver (rear steer, PDK, care and feeding of PCCB.) I think Porsche should be doing that for all GT3 and more performance oriented sales, at least some sort of incentive, since I think the PSDS resources couldn't accommodate a free for all.

I imagine it has already been stated, but the obvious suggestion would be to fit the track fire suppression system from the Club sports package. : )

The only "wow" Porsche could get out of me is if they offer the sport bucket seats as a retrofit. Of course, if they want to knock me down, they'd offer the car with weld-in plates and the full Club sport package and the front bars ...

Old 03-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

If connecting rods need to be replaced, what is involved? Anyone know?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:47 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
A few shots of tequila to say the least.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Fresh engines for everyone! I don't think Porsche's dealer network has the manpower to completely rebuild every GT3's engine (since that's what it would take) and the delay time to do so would be completely unreasonable.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:52 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Since it's a flat 6 and they're set up horizontally,I suspect it will be quite some work as opposed to a V8 or what BMW had to deal with in the E46 M3 in line 6.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Fresh engines for everyone! I don't think Porsche's dealer network has the manpower to completely rebuild every GT3's engine (since that's what it would take) and the delay time to do so would be completely unreasonable.
That would be the best solution for everyone. It would mean delays for the people waiting for their cars to be built but it would provide Porsche a lot of cover.

The old engines could be sent back to the factory.

Quick Reply: What will it take from Porsche to make current GT3 owners feel "right" in the end?