991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is AP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,265 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Considering that only two cars burnt down, possibly to a point that the failure reason is very difficult/impossible to detect (look at the fire picture again, intense); and considering that they tested the GT3 for 100s of thousands of miles before production and none caught fire, wouldn't it be reasonable to think they may have no idea what caused the failures as of yet? I agree not saying anything gives a bad PR impression but think for a minute about an announcement like this:"we have done extensive forensic work on the two cars that caught fire and are still unable to detect the root cause, we are working around the clock to find the problem". In my opinion (AKA fact on Rennlist), that would be much worse PR and certainly not confidence inspiring. If I was in charge of this project, I would have the team work around the clock to figure it out and not say anything until I know for sure a cause has been found, then I would announce we are working on how to fix it. $0.02
+1, exactly.

This is an intense car with a lot of new stuff in it - 2 cars catching fire doesn't mean the whole project is an engineering failure. When you're pushing envelopes, everything isn't predictable and the failure rate won't necessarily be zero. The situation is unfortunate, but I'm not about to crucify Porsche over it.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

It seems very tough all around. Perhaps toughest because a worldwide audience is watching. Yes we have a few hundred owners who want and deserve to know what's going on. On the other hand we have the 750 million viewers who watched Top Gear around the world and saw Hammond with oven mitts with a Porsche emblem on them. This issue is casting a huge shadow- getting headlines and impacting the brand negatively in a way that's simply very, very unfortunate.

In light of this I suspect whatever is said next, it's going to make headlines. If Porsche says they don't have a timeline for the fix, some headlines will read "Porsche engineers baffled". It's clearly tempting to say nothing at all until they have something to say, as no headlines at all may well be their current best case.

Given this I suspect PR is directing the show, and the decision to limit communication coming from conscious company damage control triage.

To me it goes almost without saying that midnight oil is being burned and then some to come up with a fix, and for once I don't envy the guys burning it. Thus I don't need to hear that they are working on it- I know they are. I also unfortunately know that pushing the limits occasionally doesn't go as planned, and I'd prefer them to push limits rather than be conservative. However all of the above still leaves everyone here in the dark, which is understandably frustrating. My hope is simply the same as everyone’s- that they get to the bottom of this quickly.

I do see potential room for improvement here in the future, however; I'm somewhat surprised there isn't a better back-channel for communicating more in today's age of social media. On many forums other manufacturers, like BMW, etc, have people whose job is to be a conduit through social media. I'm not always a fan- often this comes off as manipulation, the manufacture artificially managing perceptions and stirring up buzz in very self- serving ways. On the other hand in this case I can see some utility, a back channel being able to unofficially be able to keep customers better in the loop without issuing press releases and generating headlines in the Times. Perhaps something Porsche should consider going forwards- yes it's PR, and perhaps not the German way, but in the age of instant communication something like it will likely prove necessary sooner or later. Sure the dealers can in theory carry a back-channel message as well, but I'd perhaps be looking for an additional tool in this situation. $.02
Old 03-01-2014, 11:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I've seen Chevy active in the Corvette forum, inviting to be contacted with their full name and contact info. Very pro active and it created tons of goodwill.

Example of what Porsche could be doing right here on Rennlist:

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi vnrios,

I do apologize that the auto recall feature in your C7 is giving you some trouble. I had the opportunity to operate this feature myself, and it can be confusing. The Chevrolet Customer Care team and I put together a troubleshooting guide for the auto recall feature if you are interested. Feel free to shoot us a private message and I'll be happy to copy it in a message. Other than the auto recall, I'm glad to read you're enjoying your C7! We love hearing this from our customers!

Terrell
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 03-02-2014, 08:50 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

works both ways when reps of companies get online to converse with the masses.
can be very beneficial. or can be very detrimental.
a very fine line that needs to be tread very carefully. less is more.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Sure, it can, but for me they already earn the benefit of the doubt or at least fro trying.

Seems to work for them, someone bitches on a forum about a dealer, the car whatever and they resolve it, not online but by invitation to contact a trouble shooter.. What's wrong with that?

We know they monitor the forums, so why not use it?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:33 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i agree - they should use it.
it is a great tool for the customer. i hate being left in the dark about anything.
communication is paramount. as long as they have already contacted all the affected owners, then that is ok as well? but good to let everybody else (who are all potentials to them anyway) know that they have acknowledged the issue and are in the process of trying to resolve it.
i wish doctors and politicians would do it, so i can talk to them online.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:36 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

we all associate ap as the 'head of gt3', but lately he wore the hat of 'head of marketing' for far too long.
extolling the virtues of this car too much, before it was proven in the real world.
as the greeks say to each other; '' to matiases re malaka''
Old 03-02-2014, 10:30 AM
FLM911
Racer

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I've seen Chevy active in the Corvette forum, inviting to be contacted with their full name and contact info. Very pro active and it created tons of goodwill. Example of what Porsche could be doing right here on Rennlist:
+1

Not hard to do it right either.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:58 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Shut up and drive. That's all we need to know.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:20 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

^^I WISH!
Old 03-02-2014, 02:13 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

My guess....
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2014, 05:33 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

AP AP!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:43 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

^^^hahaha
Old 03-02-2014, 06:42 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

LMAO
Old 03-02-2014, 07:40 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I lost my belief in AP when long before the 4 RS was launched he stated that the 3.8 would be as big as it went. And we all know what happened then ! Corporate Bul**** IMHO.

Quick Reply: Where is AP?