Sponsored by:

Where is AP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:29 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
I was gonna get that plate then had a change of heart as i got passed by a 991 gt3 at my local track. To add insult to injury the driver of the 991 was wearing a cast on this left leg. True story.
Awesome.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:35 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by A432
fixed
Lmao!!
Old 03-01-2014, 03:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,685 Likes on 2,336 Posts

regardless of what is broken or not...
someone, either AP or whomever runs the show at PAG, NEEDS to stand up and say something. this is PR #1. germans are really not very good at this.

reality is nothing.
image is everything. agassi has it right.

it's not what you do, but what others think you did.....
Old 03-01-2014, 03:13 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
someone, either AP or whomever runs the show at PAG, NEEDS to stand up and say something. this is PR #1. germans are really not very good at this.

reality is nothing.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth in this. Here in the US, I suspect the folks at PCNA are becoming very concerned by the lack of information, as they understand the frustration this is causing their customers better than does Porsche AG.....
Old 03-01-2014, 03:37 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh, thats right. An engineer I know worked in Germany. They never commented on his work, which meant he was doing an excellent job.. Why waste the words ? It's not efficient. I want the guy concerned with reality, vs. imagine building my car.. The image guy can do very well at a large US corp after the entrepreneurs leave.. I feel better already about the lack of news. I'm part German, and above needing updates.. Ha Ha..
Old 03-01-2014, 06:15 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

reality is nothing.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth in this. Here in the US, I suspect the folks at PCNA are becoming very concerned by the lack of information, as they understand the frustration this is causing their customers better than does Porsche AG.....
Considering that only two cars burnt down, possibly to a point that the failure reason is very difficult/impossible to detect (look at the fire picture again, intense); and considering that they tested the GT3 for 100s of thousands of miles before production and none caught fire, wouldn't it be reasonable to think they may have no idea what caused the failures as of yet? I agree not saying anything gives a bad PR impression but think for a minute about an announcement like this:"we have done extensive forensic work on the two cars that caught fire and are still unable to detect the root cause, we are working around the clock to find the problem". In my opinion (AKA fact on Rennlist), that would be much worse PR and certainly not confidence inspiring. If I was in charge of this project, I would have the team work around the clock to figure it out and not say anything until I know for sure a cause has been found, then I would announce we are working on how to fix it. $0.02
Old 03-01-2014, 08:50 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 634 Likes on 303 Posts

On my wrist?
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/IMG_1825.jpg
Old 03-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,874 Likes on 970 Posts

Forget Preuninger, this is the guy that should be taking the blame for everything that's going wrong at Porsche. Porsche would likely still be in control of its own destiny if not for his egomaniacal takeover attempt of VW.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2014, 10:46 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Considering that only two cars burnt down, possibly to a point that the failure reason is very difficult/impossible to detect
There is a chance they can't find it. --Then we separate the men from the boys. You sign a waiver not to personally sue Porsche for car fires and keep the car. -- On with it.. -- Yea, Yea, what about the other car in the fire accident ? -- he should get out of the way.. --Porsche offer free fire ext option or exchange for a Turbo if you don't like it

No fires in US so its none of NHTSA business. (weren't fires in Finland, or Sweden). Probably cause by high taxes.. Can I even trust that someone who lives in a country that allows the gov to tax that much knows how to drive a GT3 properly..
Old 03-01-2014, 12:09 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Considering that only two cars burnt down, possibly to a point that the failure reason is very difficult/impossible to detect (look at the fire picture again, intense); and considering that they tested the GT3 for 100s of thousands of miles before production and none caught fire, wouldn't it be reasonable to think they may have no idea what caused the failures as of yet? I agree not saying anything gives a bad PR impression but think for a minute about an announcement like this:"we have done extensive forensic work on the two cars that caught fire and are still unable to detect the root cause, we are working around the clock to find the problem". In my opinion (AKA fact on Rennlist), that would be much worse PR and certainly not confidence inspiring. If I was in charge of this project, I would have the team work around the clock to figure it out and not say anything until I know for sure a cause has been found, then I would announce we are working on how to fix it. $0.02
Mike and Sam: Both of you have been calm, positive, and incredibly patient. Porsche, from a loaner car standpoint, has been incredibly generous to their customers. But, I just don't understand the complete silence from AP. He is the face of the GT3 program, and he seems to be in hiding. Just a simple, "we are sorry that our most loyal and enthusiastic customers have been inconvenienced, we are working on determining the problem and developing a solution, and we understand your disappointment" would suffice.

I placed a deposit on a GT3 RS almost nine months ago. I am a huge Porsche fan. I hope they solve the problem.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:13 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Oh, as far as AP...Im SURE he has a gag order...because whatever he says next is going to have a large impact on the brand as viewed by the most die hard customers and Porsche will need him to say the "right" thing when that time comes.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:48 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Oh, as far as AP...Im SURE he has a gag order...because whatever he says next is going to have a large impact on the brand as viewed by the most die hard customers and Porsche will need him to say the "right" thing when that time comes.

+1

If AP speaks out it will be all over the news and everyone will hear Porsche has a quality problem,so even customers that would consider a Cayenne or Panamera will start wondering if spending a premium for a Porsche product is a smart decision.
Yes,there have been 2 fires that made the news but that's has happened before with other manufacturers like Tesla and Ferrari,yet they still sold like hot bread.
I believe Porsche will try instead solving this issue among the existing GT customers rather than making the news too much.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:53 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by kosmo
Yup, that was the other gt3 out there other than yours
You have PM
Old 03-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Sam, I actually agree with you 100%, and have previously posted exactly the same opinion. My response to mooty's post was more about how, IMHO, his reality versus perception observation is quite accurate.

To expand a bit on what I posted, I understand why it might be a bad idea for Porsche to give out partial information, but the fact is that here in the US we are demanding consumers and are used to quick results and instant gratification. I think that culturally the Germans may be more stoic than we are about things like this. PCNA is caught in the middle of the situation, having to deal with impatient, emotional customers on the one hand and a methodical, engineering based corporate culture on the other.

I'm not sure what Porsche should be doing, as there are traps if they speak out prematurely and traps if they don't say anything at all. A tough situation for everyone....

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Mike and Sam: Both of you have been calm, positive, and incredibly patient. Porsche, from a loaner car standpoint, has been incredibly generous to their customers. But, I just don't understand the complete silence from AP. He is the face of the GT3 program, and he seems to be in hiding. Just a simple, "we are sorry that our most loyal and enthusiastic customers have been inconvenienced, we are working on determining the problem and developing a solution, and we understand your disappointment" would suffice.

I placed a deposit on a GT3 RS almost nine months ago. I am a huge Porsche fan. I hope they solve the problem.
MM3.9GT3, thanks, I appreciate your thoughts. My guess is that there is a gag order in place for everyone involved in this at Porsche. I have a friend who is part of AP's team and I've heard nothing from him about this. I've also not written and asked him anything about it, and won't, because I don't want to put him on the spot and possibly risk his job just to satisfy my curiosity.

When the no-drive was announced 9 days ago I received the "we're sorry and are doing everything possible" message that you refer to. I suppose it would be nice to get a "we're still working on it" message but maybe they feel that base has already been covered for now.

This is a black eye for one of their halo offerings, is an embarrassment to them, and you don't have to be a fan-boy to believe that Porsche is doing everything possible to fix it. I'm betting that they will fix it and make things right for their customers. We'll all just have to stay tuned to see when and how.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:50 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Sam, I actually agree with you 100%, and have previously posted exactly the same opinion. My response to mooty's post was more about how, IMHO, his reality versus perception observation is quite accurate.

To expand a bit on what I posted, I understand why it might be a bad idea for Porsche to give out partial information, but the fact is that here in the US we are demanding consumers and are used to quick results and instant gratification. I think that culturally the Germans may be more stoic than we are about things like this. PCNA is caught in the middle of the situation, having to deal with impatient, emotional customers on the one hand and a methodical, engineering based corporate culture on the other.

I'm not sure what Porsche should be doing, as there are traps if they speak out prematurely and traps if they don't say anything at all. A tough situation for everyone....

MM3.9GT3, thanks, I appreciate your thoughts. My guess is that there is a gag order in place for everyone involved in this at Porsche. I have a friend who is part of AP's team and I've heard nothing from him about this. I've also not written and asked him anything about it, and won't, because I don't want to put him on the spot and possibly risk his job just to satisfy my curiosity.

When the no-drive was announced 9 days ago I received the "we're sorry and are doing everything possible" message that you refer to. I suppose it would be nice to get a "we're still working on it" message but maybe they feel that base has already been covered for now.

This is a black eye for one of their halo offerings, is an embarrassment to them, and you don't have to be a fan-boy to believe that Porsche is doing everything possible to fix it. I'm betting that they will fix it and make things right for their customers. We'll all just have to stay tuned to see when and how.
As always, you are right on, Mike.

Quick Reply: Where is AP?