Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Recall Curtail demand for the GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 05:46 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The point I was responding to was that supposedly Porsche was artificially limiting 991 GT3 supply and based on historical numbers, they clearly aren't. As to whether the excellent sales of the 991 GT3 are a good thing or not, that's subjective and could probably be argued for a while.
Mike, Porsche will build as many Carrera Ss and 4s as the market demands, usually in excess of whats required and dealers are forced to discount to move... Considering they've decided to broaden the market for the gt3 and invest so much money to specifically develop the model, would it not make sense to reduce numbers of those sitting on car lots and increase the numbers of these to recoup their investment??? It doesn't require an increase in production although they keep on telling us about their number goals in recall announcement, just a redistribution of cars built...

Historical numbers are a poor reference considering the previous were more niche and the current car is of appeal to significantly more customers interested in the experience as opposed to the track...
Old 02-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
So true Macca, how times change...

The one thing that has puzzled me for the past six months is why Porsche would broaden the appeal of the car yet make so few cars available??
Broadening the appeal was never the objective.

The objective is to make the car faster.

The method of making the car faster (mainly PDK) also broadened the appeal. This is an externality.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Also, as Eduardo alluded to elsewhere, the technologies developed through the GT3 will eventually trickle down into the Carreras as either expensive options or .2 selling points.

As evidenced by threads such as "is there a smaller aftermarket wing for the GT3," there is a market for the GT3 hardware in the more discrete Carrera packaging.

Quite honestly, I would probably take a 100 lb weight penalty for a GT3 with a nicer stereo and better sound deadening. I love the GT3 for the hardware, not the sound of gravel in the wheel wells, although it's a compromise I accept willingly.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike, Porsche will build as many Carrera Ss and 4s as the market demands, usually in excess of whats required and dealers are forced to discount to move... Considering they've decided to broaden the market for the gt3 and invest so much money to specifically develop the model, would it not make sense to reduce numbers of those sitting on car lots and increase the numbers of these to recoup their investment??? It doesn't require an increase in production although they keep on telling us about their number goals in recall announcement, just a redistribution of cars built...

Historical numbers are a poor reference considering the previous were more niche and the current car is of appeal to significantly more customers interested in the experience as opposed to the track...
Chris, what I've read is that Porsche is putting out cars at full capacity in Zuffenhausen. I just don't believe they have the ability to increase GT3 production 2 or 3 fold as you suggested with your earlier numbers. Besides, they have contracted with suppliers for a projected number of parts for cars of different types and I don't think it's that easy to change volumes mid-stream. You can't tell a supplier that you are going to need 1500 GT3 engine blocks or cylinder heads for the 2014 model run and then just call up one day and say, oh BTW, changed my mind, I really need twice that many. I don't believe they are artificially restricting the supply of GT3's; it's a capacity issue.

As an aside, FWIW, I tend to agree with Serge944's first comment above.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:05 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 358 Likes on 216 Posts

If it turns out that this whole shenanigan is due to to a bad batch of parts from an X supplier,expect a huge lawsuit coming from Porsche.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:25 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
If it turns out that this whole shenanigan is due to to a bad batch of parts from an X supplier,expect a huge lawsuit coming from Porsche.
They should stop getting rubber hoses from the same companies that produce Chinese *****'s basically?

Ps, I know this as a true fact. There is no possible way I'm wrong.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:18 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 405 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ha. Not in California. One dealership tried to convince me that selling at MSRP would mean making a deal at a LOSS to the dealership...
Wow, I hope I don't put the dealer I am buying from out of business...I would hate to do that buying a car at MSRP.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

The one thing that has puzzled me for the past six months is why Porsche would broaden the appeal of the car yet make so few cars available??... I just can't logically process why you spend so much developing a platform unique to the others from scratch (engine, trans, technology) with no link to other road cars nor motorsport platforms, broaden its appeal in the market, reduce costs to maximise return then limit units so much...

The reality is that they could probably have sold 4-5-6 times what they have without batting an eyelid, made bucket loads of profit and stamped out this over MSRP crap yet they play their cards like this... The more I think about it, the more sense your solution of phasing them out makes... Just can't see how this strategy makes any business sense... If they wanted to move away from limited market, niche car, they should have ramped up the volume big time with all the changes made...
I'm not so sure about this. While I am sure they are making a profit with the GT3, I think the amount compared to their panamera and cayenne profits greatly pale in comparison. I think Porsche is being smart here. They are making just enough GT3s fulfill demand and keep up the excitement about the brand and model without overflowing the market. If you decide to go large scale on a car aimed at enthusiasts (PDK or not), you will lose. I saw this article recently, and how Porsche is managing the GT3 makes a lot of sense now:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...t-new-variants

Who would have thought that a cheap, critically acclaimed car like the GT86/FRS/BRZ would be a sales disappointment? Apparently and disappointingly, it is. The new cayman and boxster have critical acclaim as well. It's a fantastic car that all the enthusiasts seem to love, but their sales are HORRIBLE. The dealer lots are littered with them and salesmen tell me that they can't sell them. However, their cayenne diesels sell instantly. I truly fear that Porsche may give up on the cayman/boxster. If Porsche went large scale with the GT3, they would lose money. There just aren't enough enthusiasts out there to make money on them.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

One other thing I forgot to mention:

The sports car/performance car division of motor companies are not where the big dollars and talent go. It's the high volume passenger car division. My buddy works at Chrysler, and he tells me that the SRT guys aren't the cream of the crop. The real rock stars are the guys that make the crazy boring sedans that sell successfully in high volume. Reason? That's where the money is at. The real money being made is with the Cayenne, panamera, macan. Let's all just keep our fingers crossed that Porsche will still make the cars that we enthusiasts love. We still play an important role, because enthusiasts really do 'make' the brand. We just don't make the money.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

Who would have thought that a cheap, critically acclaimed car like the GT86/FRS/BRZ would be a sales disappointment? Apparently and disappointingly, it is. The new cayman and boxster have critical acclaim as well. It's a fantastic car that all the enthusiasts seem to love, but their sales are HORRIBLE. The dealer lots are littered with them and salesmen tell me that they can't sell them. However, their cayenne diesels sell instantly. I truly fear that Porsche may give up on the cayman/boxster. If Porsche went large scale with the GT3, they would lose money. There just aren't enough enthusiasts out there to make money on them.
Interesting. FRS/BRZs are all over the place in my area.

As for Cayman/Boxster, it'd be interesting to see what would happen to sales if they stopped neutering the cars. Maybe they'll finally unleash a Cayman Cup/Cayman GT3 now that BMW has rolled out the M235i Racing and it's street sibling.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Think about it. If Porsche made an announcement tomorrow that they will stop building the 911 as well as the Boxster/Cayman would that negatively impact the sales of Cayenne, Panamera or the Macan. I think it would hurt their sales because the sport car division drives the sales of the money makers.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:14 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nizer
Interesting. FRS/BRZs are all over the place in my area.

As for Cayman/Boxster, it'd be interesting to see what would happen to sales if they stopped neutering the cars. Maybe they'll finally unleash a Cayman Cup/Cayman GT3 now that BMW has rolled out the M235i Racing and it's street sibling.
It would cannibalize 911 sales and neuter the 911 brand. Unlikely to happen. :-(
The rationale behind protecting the 911 brand is summed up easily with conversations that 2 friends of mine have had with their wives and what their wives responses were:

friend: "I'm thinking of getting a cayman"
wife: "why would you get the 'cheap' porsche and not the 'best' model, the 911?"

I cringe every time I recall the conversation. The reality is, 99% of the public and buyers think like my friend's wives. People don't get the allure of a 'drivers' car, and that the 911 is not the only good sports car Porsche makes. They just know the 911 brand. Porsche won't tarnish that brand.

From the CEO himself:

Originally Posted by Nick
Think about it. If Porsche made an announcement tomorrow that they will stop building the 911 as well as the Boxster/Cayman would that negatively impact the sales of Cayenne, Panamera or the Macan. I think it would hurt their sales because the sport car division drives the sales of the money makers.
For sure. They need their sports car division to sell the 'money makers'. I'm just trying to explain why very few GT3s are being made. They wouldn't sell them if they made a lot more. I'm afraid that if they stopped just the boxster/cayman, nothing would change in terms of their profits. That would make me sad.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Orthojoe, my partner had a similar experience. Wanted to buy a Boxster S (he is a former Olympic weightlifter not sure how he would get in it) but his two sons told him it was a girlie car and would not ride in one.

I have owned six Porsche's and five recent model Ferrari's in the past 13 years and the my wife's Boxster is as good if not better handling car than all of them. I am amazed as to how good it is.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

It would cannibalize 911 sales and neuter the 911 brand. Unlikely to happen. :-(
(
Yeah, keenly aware of Porsche's rationale for neutering the Cayman/Boxster. Completely flawed logic IMO.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:30 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
PAG should step up and throw in a stripper upon delivery for all those effected.
Agreed. Or how about just a nice, pretty model with every post recall GT3 delivered!

Quick Reply: Will the Recall Curtail demand for the GT3?