Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Recall Curtail demand for the GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubicon
Demand has not been affected at our dealership and I have ONE last GT3 that can still be modified for a June delivery. contact: mrubin@rusnakautogroup.com or 805-267-5980
at msrp?
i know quite a few cars available and configurable at a premium. it's the msrp cars that are elusive.

pls be specific in your posting. no need to have ppl wasting time calling
Old 02-21-2014, 02:09 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by silverrules
PAG should step up and throw in a stripper upon delivery for all those effected.
just ONE? how old are you, 98?
5-6 dozens for me please. i buy in bulk.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:15 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ha. Not in California. One dealership tried to convince me that selling at MSRP would mean making a deal at a LOSS to the dealership...
I would have kicked him square in the nuts for lying to my face
Old 02-21-2014, 02:15 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ha. Not in California. One dealership tried to convince me that selling at MSRP would mean making a deal at a LOSS to the dealership...
i have bought a LOT of cars in my life. this dealer is full of ****. or they need to be educated as to what constitute a LOSS in tax terms, in accrual terms, in cash terms, in imaginary terms and in reality terms... if he truly understands the meaning of LOSS vs PROFIT. he wont be selling cars. he do doing things that REALLY makes money. give me a break... LOSS haha...
Old 02-21-2014, 02:18 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I dont know what Porsche will offer it's customers in terms of compensation for down time, however an opportunity to buy a Cayman or Boxster at wholesale would be a nice gesture. I mean, you got to have something to drive while you wait.....
Old 02-21-2014, 02:31 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I dont know what Porsche will offer it's customers in terms of compensation for down time, however an opportunity to buy a Cayman or Boxster at wholesale would be a nice gesture. I mean, you got to have something to drive while you wait.....
maybe for a panamera or cayenne...but no way would I do a cayman or boxter in wait for a gt3 lol.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:45 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Why buy it. Just ask your dealer to give you a cayman or a boxster loaner while you wait for your GT3. If they refuse, threaten them to burn down your GT3 on their parking lot in protest.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:07 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Only fools will pay over MSRP for a 991 GT3 now... I have a feeling the number of available cars is bound to increase following this recall...
Old 02-21-2014, 04:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris. Ive another theory. I think PAG will reduce the run of the 991 GT3 as a result of these additional recall costs (direct and indirect). The GT3 is not a product that is as profit rich as the core 911 line let alone the Macan and Cayenne lines. Its widely thought that Porsche have under priced this vehicle. The comments I have heard from a few colleagues in the car industry over the last few days has indicated that the smart money once the bean counters step in would be to address the issue, capex the costs, end the run early and get on with building Macans. Of course we have the 991 GT3RS to launch - but how can they launch that at Geneva now they have a recall on there hands? It wont happen. I believe that they will delay the launch of that model but will move directly from GT3 production to RS production from September 2014. I am 100% speculating here, and I do wish to be clear on that but I doubt the UK will see more than 200 units delivered (currently 101 units according to the media), the states perhaps 800 units (currently 408 units) and all other ROW markets perhaps 500 units total (currently approx 250 units). So thats 1250-1500 units as my prediction.

Im going one further. I believe this will be the last GT3 and GT3 RS that Porsche will market. I believe the cost of this "skunk works" project has been identified by VAG and they will focus only on racing programs for R&D and consumer models for margin from here on in. The GT3 was marketing decadence (needed in the original 996 for homologation - but much less relevant in recent times). The future GT3 will effectively become a GTS model as so many have felt should be the case with the current GT3 (I think there wishes will come true).

There are a few ideas for you. Just because the 991 GT3 has had what I would personally call an "over zealous (US litigation driven) temporary recall", I would not expect people to get to excited about the value of their 997.2 GT3s going up just yet, we have the 991 GT3 RS around the corner that will excite more demand for the latest GT3 product and if you really want to hedge your financial bets you might be better off putting your money into old metal like a 964 RS or an old MFI car or 3.3T 964 turbo or something. Infact Im pretty sure my 993 RS spec will be worth more on the used market than my 991 GT3 within the next 5 years!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:15 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Some ideas with merit I think Macca... I think you have a valid point regarding the future of both the current GT cars anf future cars... If they aren't truely motorsport inspired as previous generations, there really is no benefit for Porsche to go to the expense and savy enthusiast customers will be less motivated to buy if proven reliability and motorsport roots are not part of the overall package.

As for your final point, agree totally... With the exception of the 4.0RS which has exclusivity up it's sleeve, this and any future recall will do nothing to drive prices of previous generations up... With the exception of enthusiasts and guys tracking, most people are ignorant and don't even know the differences in motor and the reasons why GT cars have been considered special in the past... They won't pay a premium for any of the previous generations... Most GT owners I speak to don't even realise that their cars have a motorsport motor in them nor that it was removed in the 991.. Go figure...
Old 02-21-2014, 05:19 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

Macca, question for you. This isn't the first time I've seen you mention GT3 ending in order for RS production to start. My understanding is that in the past the GT3 has always proceeded the RS but production/sales have continued in unison with the RS lasting a little longer. Why would it change this time?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
Some ideas with merit I think Macca... I think you have a valid point regarding the future of both the current GT cars anf future cars... If they aren't truely motorsport inspired as previous generations, there really is no benefit for Porsche to go to the expense and savy enthusiast customers will be less motivated to buy if proven reliability and motorsport roots are not part of the overall package.

As for your final point, agree totally... With the exception of the 4.0RS which has exclusivity up it's sleeve, this and any future recall will do nothing to drive prices of previous generations up... With the exception of enthusiasts and guys tracking, most people are ignorant and don't even know the differences in motor and the reasons why GT cars have been considered special in the past... They won't pay a premium for any of the previous generations... Most GT owners I speak to don't even realise that their cars have a motorsport motor in them nor that it was removed in the 991.. Go figure...
I agree Chris. Before the 996/water cooled generation and the advent of the GT3 all 911s had a race proven engine and the RS versions were always just a little bit lighter, bit firmer and more precise with often a wee bit of tuning to make them a fraction quicker. You could buy the stuff off the shelf to make any 911 into am accurate RS spec car. Today however as you say its very different indeed.

We've simply entered a new era.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sqweak
Macca, question for you. This isn't the first time I've seen you mention GT3 ending in order for RS production to start. My understanding is that in the past the GT3 has always proceeded the RS but production/sales have continued in unison with the RS lasting a little longer. Why would it change this time?
You are correct. This is how it has been since 997.1 GT3. Not so long really. This time my belief is alot of things will be different. The car itself is such a technology leap forward, VAG is in control. Euro 6.3 emissions come into play from Sept, Porsche needs resources to go racing again.

One thing is for sure. The new RS will be a real encore if the show is soon to stop.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:56 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
I agree Chris. Before the 996/water cooled generation and the advent of the GT3 all 911s had a race proven engine and the RS versions were always just a little bit lighter, bit firmer and more precise with often a wee bit of tuning to make them a fraction quicker. You could buy the stuff off the shelf to make any 911 into am accurate RS spec car. Today however as you say its very different indeed.

We've simply entered a new era.
So true Macca, how times change...

The one thing that has puzzled me for the past six months is why Porsche would broaden the appeal of the car yet make so few cars available??... I just can't logically process why you spend so much developing a platform unique to the others from scratch (engine, trans, technology) with no link to other road cars nor motorsport platforms, broaden its appeal in the market, reduce costs to maximise return then limit units so much...

The reality is that they could probably have sold 4-5-6 times what they have without batting an eyelid, made bucket loads of profit and stamped out this over MSRP crap yet they play their cards like this... The more I think about it, the more sense your solution of phasing them out makes... Just can't see how this strategy makes any business sense... If they wanted to move away from limited market, niche car, they should have ramped up the volume big time with all the changes made...

Last edited by 911rox; 02-21-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Chris. I can understand your confusion. Damn good question. My thoughts are that this Gt3 has become the hot bed for r&d development that will filter out to the mainstream 911 models over time. Essentially the ball has rolled full circle. As prior to the water cooled the models and there base technologies will become homogeneous once again. This will reduce platform costs and in the case of the Gt3 within one generation or even a model refresh tech such as PDk S RWS and improved electronic steering servo management become mainstream. The gt3 can loss lead. My thoughts are that in the future nothing changed other than the moniker and the volumes produced. My guess is Porsche could have gone either way with this gen GT 3 large volume or small but given they will be capering the tech over the main model range over the next 3-5 years it barely matters and with recent QC issues probably even less so now. Also I have always been curious how in nz and Australia the latest production allocation I know for a buyer is July production for sept delivery and there seem to be no allocations after this, the same applies for uk and South Africa but in the us guys are getting told they can order the car into next year . Something not jelling there me thinks!

Quick Reply: Will the Recall Curtail demand for the GT3?