Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Recall Curtail demand for the GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You could ask if you can have open visiting hours to come do vroom vroom at the shop?
You paid for it right, at least you can make believe GT3 driving...
Since it's still sitting in my garage, I don't have to go far for now....
Old 02-20-2014, 06:22 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

So, if you are leasing the GT3 and Porsche instructs "do not drive". Then I would ask a credit back in lease payments until this is resolved. You are now making payments for a car that cannot be driven.

I am sure they will run from this request!
Old 02-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MarkG123
So, if you are leasing the GT3 and Porsche instructs "do not drive". Then I would ask a credit back in lease payments until this is resolved. You are now making payments for a car that cannot be driven.

I am sure they will run from this request!
I'm sure they won't. Porsche picked up the tab for a month's worth of financing on a 996 I owned when it was in the shop several years ago. Compensation for owners is definitely something that will be discussed once more is known about the time frames involved for repair in this case. Count on it....
Old 02-20-2014, 07:50 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 155 Posts

I hope so. That way I will move up on my dealer's list for a 2015 allocation.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:53 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

I guess we've all become waiters again....
Because misery loves company, in a sadistic kind of way this makes me happy.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My car is in the Indian Ocean 2 days out from Durban on the big leg of the journey to Downunder land. I received an email form Porsche last night saying I cannot drive it and to wait further instruction. Irony of ironies is its in the hold of a boat for the next 2-3 weeks and failing a Somalian Pirate taking over control of the vessel and ragging my GT3 up the east coast of Africa until it grenades I cant see much chance of it turning over for a while. Infact the delay that was testing patience has now become handy. There is a further week of compliance after it arrives before its plated and registered before I could have driven it in any case.

I agree with MIke it will be very interesting to see if this is specific to certain VINs or a global platform issue. I say that because I drove my week/46/47 build car mercilessly through Europe for a month and it didnt miss a beat. I know three others with 5-8000km on the car now and multiple track days and apart from one having the new thermostat as a precaution again no issues whatsoever (even very little oil consumption).

I spoke to my Porsche contact and he said that this recall is separate to the oil cooler bolt/bracket campaign issued 10 days ago. That only affected a very small range of VIN. This they are still uncertain about. Porsche is working on it. Its possible a crank case, oiling related issue I have been told, but I also read on a European board this morning that it is an oil tube joint issue - perhaps both are the same - but id be very surprised if this is a design related issue either way because this car has been out there now since Nov 2013 (and prototypes much earlier) and you would have thought this would have happened by now. The cars affected apparently were both very low mileage and newly delivered I believe. There are over 700 of these now manufactured and over 500 in customers hands. I guess time will tell, its certainly not great for the Porsche brand or GT3 moniker and they are rightfully being cautious. However it may in reality only affect a very small number of cars...
Old 02-20-2014, 08:30 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the update, Macca.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 358 Likes on 216 Posts

Hey Macca,I've been meaning to ask you :

Since you've imported the car,won't your warranty be affected? And here,I'm not referring to this recall but to warranty work in general... I thought warranty is covered only on the Continent where you've purchased the car... In other words,if I buy the car in the US and then take it to Europe and something that's covered under warranty breaks,will it be covered in Europe since that is a US spec car?

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks @Macca. Wow, if your source doesn't yet know, then it really must still be up in the air!

I'd have to imagine that with the added precautions at this point, any customer car (already delivered) and any incoming car due for PDI once the issue is identified and resolved will be looked over with a fine toothed comb for the recall issue, the thermostat, the bracket, etc.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by frayed
Because misery loves company, in a sadistic kind of way this makes me happy.
I'm glad *something* positive is coming out of this...
Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Good post Mecca. Much will depend on what the problem is. I am with Frayed in that if the recall involves major surgery on the engine then I am not sure if I will take the car. I have an acquaintance who owns more than 50 of the top sport cars past and present and when I asked him if he would take a car which had piston rods replaced or reworking of the engine his response was less than positive.

Obviously, if it is the tube and bracket replacement it a no brainer. I love the car and want it very badly. But I also have the responsibility of being smart about a $150,000 purchase. The last thing I need is a car requiring frequent visits to the service department not to mention the possible substantial depreciation because of the recall.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:07 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 405 Likes on 225 Posts

I'm sure they won't. Porsche picked up the tab for a month's worth of financing on a 996 I owned when it was in the shop several years ago. Compensation for owners is definitely something that will be discussed once more is known about the time frames involved for repair in this case. Count on it....
Agreed - Audi is giving me one months of payment for my S6 being in the shop for almost 5 weeks to fix a turbo coolant line leak. I would expect Porsche to do the same.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

PAG should step up and throw in a stripper upon delivery for all those effected.

Last edited by silverrules; 02-20-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess we've all become waiters again....at least I can go out in the garage, sit in the car and listen to the stereo or make vroom-vroom noises.
Mike, I applaud you for staying positive and finding constructive ways to spend your time Post GT3 era! I am trying to do the same! I too paid cash for mine and hopefully will get some compensation for my GT3 withdrawals symptoms. I was told today they are probably going to throw in the bluetooth phone interface module for free for my troubles. Will see if this will materialize.

In the interm and while batteling the GT3 withdrawals symptoms, I decided the best way to ease the withdrawals is to have a piece of my GT3 inserted into my other Porsches, such as sucking some blood (engine oil) from my GT3 to share with my other two Porsches, and hopefully not infecting them with the same virus that tends to set the GT3 on fire. With that I leave you with the following sad picture that captures this moment!

Last edited by mqandil; 03-09-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:01 AM
Sierra Mike
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
My car is in the Indian Ocean 2 days out from Durban on the big leg of the journey to Downunder land.
I certainly hope you mean that it's on the Indian Ocean otherwise that's a very extreme measure for dealing with a car which spontaneously combusts. I can just see the Porsche AG advisory now ... in event of fire, throw overboard

Quick Reply: Will the Recall Curtail demand for the GT3?