Sponsored by:

How many would pay over $400,000 for the new gt3

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:12 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I agree that paying OZ prices (let alone Singapore ones) would make me focus on buying homes and other luxurious before a car.. Value is completely skewed.. When a basic sports car costs as much as beach-front property in some parts of the world (here in Thailand where I'm vacationing for example).. Then how does it make sense anymore? It's not an absolute value problem (if you have the $ then you can decide how to allocate it).. It's a disproportionate value problem which changes what the purchase has to offer you in order to justify the price.
Can you IMAGINE the kind of homes GT3 buyers already have in OZ, let alone Singapore?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:49 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 455 Likes on 294 Posts

Well, you asked how many "would" not "could."

I would if I could but I can't.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:13 AM
mhh
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzobreeder
hold on guys I just wanted to know if it would change your attitude to buying a gt3

In terms of are there tariffs or is it really expensive to live in OZ well yes there are tariffs and i accept that but

When the Oz Dollar was at $US 0.65 to buy one oz dollar $320,000 was about right for a Porsche. When the Oz went to $US 1.05 to buy one Australian Dollar a Porsche was still $320,000. Yet it would have cost the Porsche Australia half the price to import it. So more than double the profits were made. The $us.90 to buy one oz dollar at the moment means still very handsome profit.

Her is the kicker. I don;t mind paying this much for a porsche. I reckon the amount of effort they have put into that car and the obvious dedication to keep the thing at the cutting edge is fantastic and deserves a reward. It does feel a bit unfair that we pay double what us porsche owners pay for the same thing.

They can bull**** about smaller markets and all that crap all day long I just wish they would come clean and say yeh we are ripping into you and accept reality. Importing in OZ has been set up so that you can not import a car from elsewhere. Hence Porsche knows they can get away with it and they do. In the Asian markets they are putting huge tariffs on the cars but you are not precluded from buying your car from somewhere else in the world and importing it.

If you do this in Australia it will not get a compliance plate and they will either crush the car ot send it back from where it came from.

So yes I could import a car from England The dealer who sells it to me would make a good profit Porsche England would make a good profit. I would pay for the sea freight to Australia and land it after taxes for about $200,000. So where is the other $160,000 going.

The problem for Porsche as I see it is that they are damaging their brand. People who buy cars at this price can generally add up quite well. No one really likes to feel like they have been ripped off.

So while they can get away with it good on them but one day this pricing strategy will come back to haunt them Ill just sit back and say you've done it to yourself mate and wrecked a fantastic car and brand.

If they charged us $240,000 for the car I'd say yeh you are working in a small market and you deserve your profit and you do have those stupid taxes so fair enough. God I'd respect them so much more.

There you go I've had my bitch and I promise i will not bring it up again and only post stuff about the car in future.
To clarify - did you buy a new GT3?
Old 02-12-2014, 05:09 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing no one mentioned yet... The U.S. prices are just rediculously low, compared to all other matkets in the world. (Applies to all car brands)

Yes the oz prices are expensive, not even mentioning Signapore, but even on Porsche's home market Germany, the GT3's baseprice is $185k, here in Switzerland a GT3's baseprice is $210k

However... i don't think this is the right way to compare prices. U.S. prices are always without taxes, German prices are with 19%VAT, Swiss prices are with 8%VAT, oz prices are incl. taxes?? (Not sure).

I think it's better to compare bare prices without any taxes, , that's where you can see how Porsche is ripping you off (or not in the case of U.S).....

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 02-12-2014, 05:25 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

^^^^
Suzy, yes we have obscene taxes on 'luxury cars' over $60k... When I bought mine 4 years ago, I paid AUS$307k IIRC and of that $100k was taxes!!!

Yes Porsche and all other brands rip us off here but the government is a bigger culprit.

Where Porsche can't be excused for price gouging is with parts!!! Buy a set of front or rear brake pads here and they are AUS$850 each, from the US they are less than AUS$350... No taxes at play...
Old 02-12-2014, 05:41 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

You certainly have a point there... I don't know about those prices over here to be honest (I've never ordered seperate parts), but 850 vs. 350 is rediculous indeed!

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 02-12-2014, 09:38 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
I would not pay $331,000 for a GT3.

The utility of the car versus the utility of other uses for the cash is just too far out of whack.
+1. No way.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Yes Porsche and all other brands rip us off here but the government is a bigger culprit.
No one is ripping anybody off. No one is putting a gun to anyone's head to buy at what they consider are outrageous prices. And it's not like Porsche, Ferrari, BMW and every other competitor in the sports car markets meet annually to decide which country they are going to rip off more, together. Porsche cannot possibly be the only company "ripping you off" -- it would lose to the competition if it does. So it must be that it's not the sports car makers that are "ripping you off" -- which you figured out, as well.

Where Porsche can't be excused for price gouging is with parts!!! Buy a set of front or rear brake pads here and they are AUS$850 each, from the US they are less than AUS$350... No taxes at play...
How do you know? You can't possibly be familiar with the tens of thousands of pages of regulations, tariffs, quotas, restrictions, bilateral/multilateral "free trade" agreements, and other "measures" that your government enforces and that affect the prices of everything in your market -- "for your own good", of course.

EDIT: Who's stopping you from just buying the pads from the US? You'll find out who's ripping you off as you attempt to answer that question.

Last edited by hf1; 02-12-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:56 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm wondering how many of you would buy one at this price.

Would not.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:05 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
How do you know? You can't possibly be familiar with the tens of thousands of pages of regulations, tariffs, quotas, restrictions, bilateral/multilateral "free trade" agreements, and other "measures" that your government enforces and that affect the prices of everything in your market -- "for your own good", of course.

EDIT: Who's stopping you from just buying the pads from the US? You'll find out who's ripping you off as you attempt to answer that question.
Mate, it's quite simple... Porsche charge us more than double for the car, obviously partly due to the taxes imposed by government, thus they figure it's acceptable to charge double for parts too.

My wear and tear parts do come from the US and despite freight and import duties, the cost is less than half the Aus price. If thats the cost for me to import from a US dealership paying discounted retail price, feel free to explain why it costs Porsche Aus so much more to do so and why they aren't gouging customers...
Old 02-12-2014, 06:02 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I am curious

The price for the new gt3 varies according to the country you live in.

In Australia my car will cost over $400,000 USD. I'm wondering how many of you would buy one at this price.
never - your duties/taxes are unrealistic. commonwealth country, I reckon why
Old 02-12-2014, 09:37 PM
edgy
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911rox
Mate, it's quite simple... Porsche charge us more than double for the car, obviously partly due to the taxes imposed by government, thus they figure it's acceptable to charge double for parts too.

My wear and tear parts do come from the US and despite freight and import duties, the cost is less than half the Aus price. If thats the cost for me to import from a US dealership paying discounted retail price, feel free to explain why it costs Porsche Aus so much more to do so and why they aren't gouging customers...
Agree mate.. they are gouging, all of the premium brands are gouging... because they can and we will pay because we are rich country, I think we've all had one too many expensive coffee they dealer make you

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
never - your duties/taxes are unrealistic. commonwealth country, I reckon why
Old 02-12-2014, 11:16 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
One thing no one mentioned yet... The U.S. prices are just rediculously low, compared to all other matkets in the world. (Applies to all car brands)

Suzy (via iOS app)
No they are not. I somehow doubt that Porsche is losing money in the US, selling 911's at $130k. I just think that prices are ridiculously high elsewhere. A lot of the reason for that are taxes, plain and simple. And volumes too. You can sell for less in a higher volume market.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:32 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rodsky
No they are not. I somehow doubt that Porsche is losing money in the US, selling 911's at $130k. I just think that prices are ridiculously high elsewhere. A lot of the reason for that are taxes, plain and simple. And volumes too. You can sell for less in a higher volume market.
Well.. It depends on how you look at it... We're both saying the same in a different way and from an different POV
Porsche is certainly not losing money anywhere, but what I'm trying to say is that we must be careful comparing our own prices with US market, for the reasons you point out. That's just no comparison.
If people want to compare prices, than compare with Porsche's home market Germany.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 02-13-2014, 06:49 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by edgy
Agree mate.. they are gouging, all of the premium brands are gouging... because they can and we will pay because we are rich country, I think we've all had one too many expensive coffee they dealer make you

sorry - had to. lived there 4 years, paid my share of taxes!!

Quick Reply: How many would pay over $400,000 for the new gt3