Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 at 800 miles - observations

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 03:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Chuck. As I said "I suspect" as I have not driven it on the track myself, only in Europe on the roads. Like you I found I didnt lie it as much as manual on the road and so I used it barely at all over 2000+ miles. I have been in regular personal contact with a number of folk that have now spend some reasonable time on the track with the 991 GT3 and they all claim its fairly intuitive using yaw sensor etc to anticipate when not to change down. Ill tell you myself in a few weeks time hopefully...Mike may beable to comment on its learning ability on teh road as i think he has experimented. I guess what Im was trying to say is that like sports damper button I dont think it was ever designed to be used for street driving., The whole box with its lack of creep etc was set up to feel like a manual car and I think it encourages you to drive it that way...my 2c anyway
Old 02-20-2014, 06:34 AM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by new GT3
Dude, Photos of my Agate car with black headlights , leather interior and anthricite trim.
Nice shark! The interior trim is a great choice. Adds to the overall look perfectly. We need a NY meet in the spring
Old 02-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Escuderia
1st Gear

Hi Chuck, i faced same smoke as you did! From time to time i see some blue smoke but it stops immediately. Especially when you drove quite sporty and you switch off the engine immediately after arriving it appears more the after a slow trip. Do you also have those metal noices coming from the pdk? Sometimes passengers ask me what noise they hear? My gt3rs 997 has this also but when i push the clutch it is gone, the 991 has no pedal and it remains.... My oil level has almost remained the same after 2500 km. Today i received a phone call from the belgian importer i have to stop driving my gt 3 since it can burst into fire.... They will pick it up and replace some parts.... For the rest best car ever driven, cheers and nice to talk to fellow gt3 guys, Gp
Old 02-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It makes sense they could use information from the accelerometers and/or steering angle to decide not to shift. Perhaps my on-road tests weren't generating sufficient cornering force for the system to decide shifting would be unwise. Perhaps at real track speeds, pushing closer to the limit, the system would not shift.

Certainly I was testing this below the limits such that the shifting did not cause me to lose the back end. But I was cornering hard enough that I found the unwanted shifting unsettling to the car - and the driver.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Claudef2
Intermediate

Default More driving comments

A couple more comments about the driving experience after a little over 1500 miles.

First, the PDK in manual mode on twisty roads with no traffic is magic. I had read all the negative comments and now that I have tried I wholeheartedly disagree. The gearbox on the 997 GT3 was pretty quick, but there is no question this one is faster in a noticeable way. There are so many other things to do when driving fast that the enjoyment is most certainly there for me.

My feeling is that the 991 GT3 is more comfortable than the 997 GT3 was. I have driven on highways, back roads and city streets and got the same impression everywhere. I realize this is a subjective comment.

All the earlier comments on engine noise and looks I agree with. I am also extremely happy with the LED headlights, they are much more powerful than the bi-xenon were on the previous model. I have not had the impression of "over driving" the headlights.

The one thing that sticks out badly for me is the PCM. Its design and functionality is nothing short of an abomination. Anyone who has ever used an iPhone with Pandora and Google maps will be shocked by the inept user interface.

Like others on this forum, it does smoke at start-up and it does creep when stopped.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Better stop driving-
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ter-fires.html
Old 02-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Escuderia
Hi Chuck, i faced same smoke as you did! From time to time i see some blue smoke but it stops immediately. Especially when you drove quite sporty and you switch off the engine immediately after arriving it appears more the after a slow trip. Do you also have those metal noices coming from the pdk? Sometimes passengers ask me what noise they hear?
Yes, sometimes at idle the PDK sounds like it has loose bolts rattling around in the pan. This appears to be standard on the GT3 - part of the race-sound feature group that includes reduced sound deadening and a race engine out back

It is unsettling and a bit embarrassing when you try to explain why your $150k car sounds like a can of loose bolts.

The regular 991 PDK does not do it.

I'm told the Ferraris with paddle shifters are like this, but even worse.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:02 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

If the noise bothers you, then you shouldn't be in a GT3. If a buddy mentions the noise, he should be punched. If a women is sitting next to you , just reply.. "It's a race car Baby."
Old 02-26-2014, 04:13 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Elephant Chuck
Yes, sometimes at idle the PDK sounds like it has loose bolts rattling around in the pan. This appears to be standard on the GT3 - part of the race-sound feature group that includes reduced sound deadening and a race engine out back

It is unsettling and a bit embarrassing when you try to explain why your $150k car sounds like a can of loose bolts.

The regular 991 PDK does not do it.

I'm told the Ferraris with paddle shifters are like this, but even worse.
I can't tell you how many people suggested that I get my old Ducati 999 fixed while it was idling in neutral...

Regarding the GT3, try explaining the smoke screen of burnt oil on start up. "Yeah, that's normal."

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 at 800 miles - observations