991 GT3 at 800 miles - observations

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 02:51 AM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991 GT3 at 800 miles - observations

Just turned over 800. A couple things I'm noticing;

- I was getting some pretty big oil smoke puffs on startup (sometimes, not everytime). That seems to have really settled down in the last 100 miles. Probably getting broken in and the rings seating. I continue to monitor on every startup.

- The PDK is supposed to disengage the clutches when stopped and off throttle. It seems to be dragging the clutch just a bit now such that the car wants to move slightly when idling in drive. It's just a bit, but if I'm on a flat surface and switch between R and D, it moves in the respective direction slightly. It wasn't doing this before, at least that I noticed. I'm not sure if this is indicative of a problem, or normal.

Anyone else have similar experiences? anyone have 800+ miles?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:04 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Moreland
Just turned over 800. A couple things I'm noticing; - I was getting some pretty big oil smoke puffs on startup (sometimes, not everytime). That seems to have really settled down in the last 100 miles. Probably getting broken in and the rings seating. I continue to monitor on every startup. - The PDK is supposed to disengage the clutches when stopped and off throttle. It seems to be dragging the clutch just a bit now such that the car wants to move slightly when idling in drive. It's just a bit, but if I'm on a flat surface and switch between R and D, it moves in the respective direction slightly. It wasn't doing this before, at least that I noticed. I'm not sure if this is indicative of a problem, or normal. Anyone else have similar experiences? anyone have 800+ miles?
I am at about 770 and am loving it - the white smoke at startup on my car is also intermittent - not sure what makes the difference. Loving this car more and more each day. It gets so many looks - it really is a work of art. You enjoying yours on the whole?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:15 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Chuck, I also have 800+ miles (about 850).

I've been watching for oil smoke at start up and have seen none; only the occasional normal steam from condensation on a cold morning. The engine has used no oil; it's still at one bar below top, exactly where it was the first time I thought to check it @ 100 miles.

No creep at all in D or R that I've noticed. I have to feather the throttle to get the car moving.

As an aside, I took the car in for a noise from the driver side electric window. They say it's the window regulator and are going to replace it. While in the shop they decided my car qualified for the coolant regulator campaign (WD69). It tested ok but they are going to replace it anyway, which is great AFAIC. Car is in the shop until tomorrow waiting for the part from SoCal.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:17 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I also have 800+ miles (about 850). I've been watching for oil smoke at start up and have seen none; only the occasional normal steam from condensation. The engine has used no oil; it's still at one bar below top, exactly where it was the first time I thought to check it @ 100 miles. No creep at all in D or R. I have to feather the throttle to get the car moving. As an aside, I took the car in for a noise from the driver side electric window. They say it's the window regulator and are going to replace it. While in the shop they decided my car qualified for the coolant regulator campaign (WD69). It tested ok but they are going to replace it anyway, which is great AFAIC. Car is in the shop until tomorrow waiting for the part from SoCal.
Yeah, my car also has to get the WD69 recall. They are ordering the part and should have it soon, apparently.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was over 2000 miles before my car shipped. I didnt notice any issues with creep. I didnt sit on a dead level surface and analysis it either though. Same with smoke on start up. It was cold most mornings and it looked like steam.

My car showed 3 green bars for oil right up to around 1500 miles when the level dropped one bar (unless it was very hot running after a high speed autoroute run). At 1800 miles I put 400ml of oil in it which brought it up to 4 green bars when hot. its 200ml per bar so I suspect I only really needed 150-200. Its still in the acceptable range and should last another 3000+ miles hopefully before it needs a top up.

Mike. The noise you talk about is that when you wind the window up and down or with the window up when you are driving? Just ask as I had a creek or noise in my passenger door I heard when I drove a few times but it was intermittent.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:34 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 1,500+ iles. No creep in either direction at idle. Had blue smoke on start up 3-4 times when the car very new then it stopped altogether. That was before tracking. It then used some oil after track use a couple of times and since then, the oil level has not changed. I think this is normal oil use for many (not all) new engines (in a lot of manuals) that I don't expect to continue.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Chuck - big step up from that 996 C2, huh? Congrats on the 991.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mike. The noise you talk about is that when you wind the window up and down or with the window up when you are driving? Just ask as I had a creek or noise in my passenger door I heard when I drove a few times but it was intermittent.
Hi Macca. It happens when the window is lowered or raised, and is a slight crunchy, ratcheting sound as though from a lack of lubrication. The tech is sure it's the regulator and plans to replace it as he doesn't want to take the door panel off more than once. They don't have a part number for it yet because the car is so new; it may be a standard 991 piece, but they are checking with Porsche to make sure.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:06 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 600 Posts

Chuck, I also have 800+ miles (about 850).

I've been watching for oil smoke at start up and have seen none; only the occasional normal steam from condensation on a cold morning. The engine has used no oil; it's still at one bar below top, exactly where it was the first time I thought to check it @ 100 miles.

No creep at all in D or R that I've noticed. I have to feather the throttle to get the car moving.

As an aside, I took the car in for a noise from the driver side electric window. They say it's the window regulator and are going to replace it. While in the shop they decided my car qualified for the coolant regulator campaign (WD69). It tested ok but they are going to replace it anyway, which is great AFAIC. Car is in the shop until tomorrow waiting for the part from SoCal.
Mike, you are getting me worried with the thermostat recall and window noise. I do not have symptoms with either yet, but will watch it.

In general, at 500 miles I added 300ml of oil, but only because my car came with oil at the middle bar from the factory.

I do get an occasional puff of bluish smoke of startup, but it's very brief. Also no creep when car is stationary. I'm planning to get it to 800-1000 miles and then take it to the track on 10th. Will report then.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Hi Macca. It happens when the window is lowered or raised, and is a slight crunchy, ratcheting sound as though from a lack of lubrication. The tech is sure it's the regulator and plans to replace it as he doesn't want to take the door panel off more than once. They don't have a part number for it yet because the car is so new; it may be a standard 991 piece, but they are checking with Porsche to make sure.
I had the same problem with my 997.2 TT Cab. I had to wait for a part. Never did fix it completely.

BTW, I thought all thermostats are being inspected at PDI.

Last edited by Nick; 01-30-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:43 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Got a note from my dealer today that the part came in for my WD69 recall, and am doing the service Monday. Hopefully it does not take too long to do. They estimated the day, but hopefully less...we'll see...no issues with the car...seems this is preventative. Maybe they expect the part to eventually fail?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:15 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the WD69 recall campaign already taken into account for cars currently being produced? Or performed upon PDI? Or done after delivery to new owners?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Is the WD69 recall campaign already taken into account for cars currently being produced? Or performed upon PDI? Or done after delivery to new owners?
I don't know the answer to that but the thermostat is not automatically replaced in this campaign. They will do through a check process, starting when the car is cold and only replace if necessary.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

@SamFromTX -- Thanks for the reply. Good to know that at the least, it's on their radar to check / test newly produced cars for recently known / noted issues.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Mike. So yours makes a noise when being moved up and down I understand from that. Mine makes a small noise occasionally sounds like loose bit behind the panel. Otherwise its 100% quiet which I was surprised at with the bolt in half cage (these often creak).

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 at 800 miles - observations