Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks Pete, for the informative (as always) post.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:41 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

+1 thanks Pete..
Old 07-29-2014, 03:09 PM
hzoenvy33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One last point:

A friend of mine is working for a um "known" French tire manufacturer.. he said, the 918 tire is just awesome. Not just a good tire, another semi-slick, what ever. It is really awesome.

Therefore, Porsche is going to use it on the .3 RS.

I don't have any experience in tires (I'm a aero and thermal guy), so I'm not sure if they could "just" build a 20inch tire with the same performance, therefore I can just quote him: "They would be stupid not to use it".
Old 07-29-2014, 04:27 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Unsprung revolving weight is something to be kept as light as possible for best performance. Also, the sidewalls of a 21" tire is getting damn small. This might work on smooth tracks, but rough bumpy tracks will make the tire want to skip across the surface. This will be really noticeable on the street. Not to mention a rough ride.

They'll have to soften the suspension to help this problem. I'd prefer to have firmer suspension, and more give in the tires.

Personally, I think they look goofy too. Reminds me of low riders.

This is a proper look.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:43 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Also, the sidewalls of a 21" tire is getting damn small. This might work on smooth tracks, but rough bumpy tracks will make the tire want to skip across the surface. This will be really noticeable on the street. Not to mention a rough ride.
The sidewalls are no shorter than on the 991 GT3, or indeed the 997 GT3 or RS; they are actually taller. That plus the larger rolling radius may in fact help the ride quality.

As for weight, if that was the only concern performance cars would all come with go-kart wheels. It's all a trade-off, in this case for increased grip.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Originally Posted by Petevb
The sidewalls are no shorter than on the 991 GT3, or indeed the 997 GT3 or RS; they are actually taller. That plus the larger rolling radius may in fact help the ride quality.

As for weight, if that was the only concern performance cars would all come with go-kart wheels. It's all a trade-off, in this case for increased grip.
The sidewall would have to be shorter unless they increased the outside diameter. Is that what they did?

Even with a bit more grip. They lose acceleration, and braking with the extra weight. I'd be curious to see lap times for a 21" tire compared to going the other way, and using an 18" tire.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

For some reason i believe Porsche knows what they are doing....
Old 07-29-2014, 05:13 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Yes, they know how to make money.

How many do you think would accept a smaller wheel on the RS?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

The sidewall would have to be shorter unless they increased the outside diameter. Is that what they did?
As has been mentioned many times over the last 3 pages, ie see here, yes that's what they did.
28.7" OD for the RS vs 27.2" for the GT3.

Acceleration when they are not traction limited will be less, when traction limited (ie coming off the corners) will be more. Braking will be up due to the increased grip.

The interesting discussion is feel- a narrow slip angle tends to be harder to drive, and often IMHO less fun. In terms of numbers, however, it's going to be fast.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:25 PM
TrackFan
Banned

It just seems like it's going in the wrong direction. The goal for any race car is to keep the tire/wheel combo as light as possible. The little grip gained is lost on the extra rotating weight that has to be stopped. Which take more brake pressure.

I wasn't aware the GT3 had a traction problem with it's present HP?

btw I'm in no way arguing with you. This is my favorite subject, and I enjoy talking about it.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

It just seems like it's going in the wrong direction. The goal for any race car is to keep the tire/wheel combo as light as possible.
Not true, or as I said we'd all be running go-kart wheels. You do want low weight, but you need to balance this with size for grip.
I wasn't aware the GT3 had a traction problem with it's present HP?
Any car's lap time is primarily limited by grip. For time (as opposed to fun) there is no such thing as "too much".
Old 07-29-2014, 05:37 PM
TrackFan
Banned

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not convinced adding weight to a wheel/tire is the best way to more performance.

Some think it looks cool though.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Unsprung revolving weight is something to be kept as light as possible for best performance. Also, the sidewalls of a 21" tire is getting damn small. This might work on smooth tracks, but rough bumpy tracks will make the tire want to skip across the surface. This will be really noticeable on the street. Not to mention a rough ride.
So you would be ordering PCCB's then, to save 8-10 pounds of un-sprung weight per corner to be as light as possible for the best performance, which is much more than the weight difference even between 18" and 20" wheels? No? Too expensive to purchase and replace, perhaps?

Fair enough, but it just points out how there are few perfect answers and almost always trade offs in any given engineering solution. Apparently Porsche feels that the minor increase in weight of a 21" wheel over a 20" wheel is more than offset by the need for more grip at the rear of the RS. I suspect the chassis designers wouldn't go to a staggered wheel setup unless they saw a net benefit to doing so.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 PM
TrackFan
Banned

If I was so serious about lap times that money didn't matter. Yes, i'd use PCCB brakes. Lighter is better.

It's not just the weight of the wheel. The tire is heavier too. You also have the cost of those 21" tires if cost is a problem.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:53 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Porsche, along with other manufacturers, apparently feels the trade offs of added weight and expense are worth it and that the benefits are real. I'm having trouble believing that the development team decided to put 21's on the rear of the new RS just because they thought they would look better! Whether it's worth it to the owner who drives the car on the street or track, and ends up with reduced and/or very expensive choices in replacement tires, is another matter entirely.
I have to disagree.. I believe branding and product differentiation are much greater values to Porsche and other manufacturers than what we naively believe. If Porsche decided that they wanted to differentiate the Rs more than in the previous generation, so that they can charge significantly more do the RS vs the gt3, then they need to find enough visual features to include to make this price delta worthy in a customer's eyes. mechanical matters also, but visual differentiation comes first because these are passion and impulse purchases. A "real" racer buys a stripped out fast car, the RS, let's be frank.. Treads that fine line between poseur and ultimate roadable track car.

If you agree with my statement above, then I would conclude that the 21" wheels and other features are added as long as they do NOT plausibly reduce performance, as long as the visual and brand differentiation outweighs the potential decrease in usability (21" R compound tires for example).

I realize this may not be a popular view, but I really think that as consumers we need to be a bit more critical and open eyed... We all know why there isn't a 3.8L cayman yet right?... All together now... MARKET SEGMENTATION!!!!!

So about that rear wing on the RS, I heard only the limited edition versions will be allowed in red.. Because red was tested to be a whole second faster around the 'ring ;-)

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread