-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

wow! Jealous of you guys who are confirmed for pts.....these cars will be sick
Old 05-29-2015, 05:30 PM
master_jcp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New ultra pics! Love it! it is a nice combo with the silver wheels...
it is so sexy to see that beast in the rain!

http://www.autogespot.com/porsche-99...s-1/2015/05/29

Old 05-29-2015, 08:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I posted this "armchair review" in the RS review thread but I think its just as apt to be here:

The EVO article is promising indeed.

The reference to "Silk Cut" was a UK one (famous brand of cigarettes form the 90s/2000s).

There are a couple of observations Ive made from watching the last dozen or so reviews:

1). I think the 20mm smaller RS steering wheel will be a popular upgrade for 991 GT3 owners! The slightly smaller size may help longer legged drivers initiate LFB more successfully (an issue I have). The shorter throw paddle is down to the switch mechanism on the wheel by the sounds of things (i.e. AP on record saying the shift times were unchanged between models). It is interesting however that EVO draw reference to the fact perhaps the paddles are now too direct at the expense of "emotion". I would need to try it to comment myself but feel this may be "knit picking" a little. They are there for a job and they do it more precisely now...

2). The removal of rubber in the suspension may go some way to improving steering feel on the road. AP is not on record saying they have re calibrated the steering so one assumes that the ball jointed arms, the larger tyre patch etc may be the clue here? I can see Elephant Racing and others doing some business on bearing cartridges for 991 GT3 owners!

3). In every video Ive watched Ive yet to see the tacho read to the 8800 rpm "redline" (that I can recall). Unusual for Porsche there seems to be staggered red increments between 8600-8800 (where the solid red hard limit starts) which is perplexing. Even in Jorgs video the tacho seems not to exceed 8500/8600 rpm. Im wondering now if you need to be in a particular setting to get the extra 200rpm?. I note that both Walter Rohl and Jorg drive the car on the track in Sport Auto but override the system with paddles occasionally. I wonder if you need to be in manual to activate the 8800 rpm hard limit? Interesting choice of strategy for the track too so I think more of us may try Sport Auto with manual override in the future.

For the most part the commentaries seem to echo the 991 GT3 reviews from 2013 with a few exceptions:

Firstly its obviously more stable and quicker on track (as al RS should be compared to their generational GT3 brethren)!

Secondly there seems to be a solid chorus that the car is better behaved on the road than before (not surprising compared to the 997 chassis). Its not clear how much different it is on the road from the standard GT3 but the inference is its even more compliant (this may be in part due to the higher sidewall tyres). The torque bump is clearly a useful upgrade and more noticeable on the road and the track than the GT3 which had no real gain in torque over a Carrera S disappointingly. I guess this is where capacity comes in.

Lastly, Ive been a little surprised (although perhaps I shouldn't be as "time heals all wounds"), that the sheer capability of the car on the road, the technology enabling it (RWS, PDK etc) hasn't been more criticised as it was for the 991 GT3 by some. The only references Ive seen made to the lack of a manual gearbox have been from CH & Evo (whom we predicted would draw this inference ). The only real negative comment on the car (hardly a negative IMO) has been width of the track for placement on the road - but the car is hardly wide compared to a Speciale, Gallado or any other manner of exotica even the decade old F360!). Talk of the car being "too fast for the road" has been subdued - even though clearly the car is quicker on the road than its predecessor! A very curious development. I think we have to assume that the 24 months between initial road tests of the 991 GT3 and the 991 GT3RS has tempered some journalists opinions of the direction Porsche must take with the GT3/RS platform especially in light of competition.

Based on reading perhaps a dozen reviews and watching a similar number of videos on road and track in Germany my current view is this:

The 991 GT3RS has lifted the game over the 991 GT3 on road and track by a margin of 10-15%. There should be no surprise. The surprise is that its still very compliant on the road, possibly even more so than the GT3 (we need a comparison review to better understand). They have improved steering feel yet again through a combination of wheel, suspension and tyres which is a positive. The exotic tech used is without argue impressive. Journalists reviews have indicated that whilst the car is quicker on track it too seems a little trickier to get the fastest smooth lap - I think here there will be some learning for the track junkies about handling under aero downforce - but that is not a bad thing as it presents a further challenge for the hardcore track enthusiast. On the road there is not doubt the car has presence and like its predecessor is far more complaint and "every day useable" than GT models of the past.

I only have two negative opinions on the car myself:

Firstly and subjectively, with the 997.2 GT3RS I felt that was a better looking car from every angle than the base model (leery graphics aside). With the 991 GT3RS I feel the design language is stilted. Im not a fan of the flat rear fenders from the turbo nor the vents which ape the turbo design signature. Im also not a fan of the 22mm higher stance and the increased rake although I understand fully why these exist. The "bubble roof" does nothing for me nor do the creases on the hood - although they may yield 0.003 cd in the tunnel they hark back to a previous lineage (993 and earlier) that I dont believe Porsche needed to trade upon and which again convolutes the design language here. The thicker front spoiler (must be 20+mm thick) is another small detail point to reference and the way they have tied the GT3 front apron into the new wider front fenders by simply making a wider black "canard" and a thicker indicator unit seems a bit lazy to me if Im splitting hairs. I wont comment on the size of the rear wing, wings come with the territory and this one is the daddy of wings - but its functional and it does a job! The change of centre hub detailing around the CL mechanism on the RS wheels is a detail I think they could have managed better as well as the rear bumper which has a second "pocket" created by an additional crease that doesn't seem well resolved. The rear louvre behind the wing is a "jury out" element for me - I think they should have made that body coloured and left out the "Porsche" stamping which simply wasn't necessary and add further "noise" to the design itself. The 991 GT3 to me is a much better looking car in side profile, rear three quarter and front three quarter looking a better resolved design language, more fluid, more "coke bottle hips", lower with less air under the arches and simply more fluid aesthetic. I know that the hardcore track junkie buyers of the car will not care about the above comments and rightly so too. Its faster and more planted at the limit and that's what counts on the track!

Secondly and finally, my only other "disappointment" is not so much subjective but more an engineering one. Im disappointed the car does not rev to 9000 rpm. I know it makes no difference in performance between 8600-9000 rpm as peak bhp has been reached by both cars at 8250 rpm. However for me when driving the GT3 at or close to its/my limit on the road that last 500 rpm is emotional. I also sense form the videos that the RS lacks that final mechanical/engine "howl" in those last 500 rpm at least from the cockpit although that may be a function of intake road drowning out some of the higher frequencies. The thing that disappoints is that I know for 100% fact this car was fresh sheet designed to hit 9000 rpm. Obviously PAG have decided to err on the side of caution with the valve train this time around. What is certain given the power per litre figure and the peak rpm power level has not changed between models is that they are keeping something up there sleeve for later on. Perhaops thats a good thing but emotionally the 9000 rpm is important to me, not that it would prevent me from buying the car, its merely an observation form someone who has spent 18 months and 8000 miles with the 991 GT3 in all manner of driving scenarios on road and track.

Although this post is far longer than I intended it would not be complete without a final synopsis. Money aside, the 991 GT3RS is clearly in my eyes the best and most accomplished GT product Porsche has made to date. For the track junkie I believe it will provide an exhilarating ownership proposition. That it has become more exotic and more costly along the way is par for the course today. There is no doubt in my mind that the package offers a little more in every way than the base model, right down to the CF trim in the cabin as standard (jealous!). Its definately a win for PAG and customers, even if it took a little longer to arrive than anticipated. I actually feel its late gestation has been beneficial to its reception, the world has moved on a little and infact if nothing more it lends a little more credence to the underpinnings of the base GT3 which were criticised for their step function leap back in 2013. Its good for everyone this car, those that own the GT3 and those who will own the RS!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:37 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Very interesting comments, Macca. As you say the appearances issue is very subjective. Personally, I thought that the 997.1RS was a much better-looking car than the 997.2,despite the evident superiority of the later model. I kinda like the rood and hood indentations. However, although I have seen the 991GT3 I have not personally seen the RS, and it strikes me that it is just possible that the first time I see it in the metal will be when I pick it up at the factory.

I agree overall with the rest of your comments...very helpful summary.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ronan.

As you say very subjective and I should have added the Caveat that in the flesh some of these criticisms will likely diminish.

When I saw the press pictures and reviews of the 991 GT3 I had reservations about aspects of the design. Overall it struck me as a handsome car but the front overhang I felt was too long (I still believe this) and the rear too high (I still believe this too). However at 3/4 view front and rear as well as dead centre front and rear it looked very well resolved. Overall it looked a bit big especially when sat in by some of the smaller motor noters! When I picked the car up in Europe I must say in the flesh it had much more presence. The rear arches were beautifully bulbous and flared and the front overhand didn't seem quite so prominent. I was smitten. Both my wife and I being taller meant that the car no longer seemed quite as large. However all my original criticisms remain true to this day - but they seems to wilt a little when Im looking at the car in the flesh I must say!. I believe the RS will resolve itself better in the metal than on the screen as well but I still believe my views on the car subjectively will hold. To be honest there is nothing surprising here.

IMO the new 991 Targa or even the base new Cayman S are much better proportioned and better looking than the GT3 and GT4 equivalents. I stood by the whole range in the dealership a few weeks ago while my GT3 got its first service and I couldn't help but admire how well the base models are resolved including the Carrera S. I still smiled when I sat in the GT3 and fired it up tho and wouldnt have swapped!

The same will be true Im sure when I drive away in the GT4 for the first time (although here I will be a bit more blatant and claim the Cayman will never look as good as the 911 in my eyes!). As you say very subjective.

However and its a BIG however, we dont buy these cars for their looks so although I stand resolute that the 991 GT3 is in my eyes a nicer looking car than the 991 GT3RS and also temper that with the fact that it doesn't really matter one little bit LOL! You will love your ED. Here's me with cheesy grin being acquainted with my GT3 for the first time on 05 December 2013 (taken from a longer thread I wrote about our month in Europe with the car way back when). Enjoy in good health I say - we are all very much lucky people!
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Macca: Agree with that completely!...as the year goes on I look forward to hearing from those who get their cars before I do ..makes the anticipation even sweeter.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:12 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Silk cut indeed wonder if anyone will get the decals!

Old 05-30-2015, 12:31 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

PTS

I wouldnt know how to make a decision!
Old 05-30-2015, 02:02 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Macca

Regarding your lengthy post, I think you have some interesting and valid points. Though I don't think you will expect the RS to be more compliant on the road. Solely by the replacement of the rubber suspension bushings for hardened ones the suspension feel into the cabin is going to be more harsh. Perhaps your definition of road compliance is different than mine but I would consider it to be how well the car will manage the uneven road surfaces and moderate/ reduce the transference of those "hazards" to the ride quality of the driver/passenger

Regarding looks, here I must disagree, I love the look of the Targa (truth be known I almost went that way over the GT3). However, past the performance experience of the GT3, I love its esthetics.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:20 AM
hets72
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 05-30-2015, 02:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
Macca

Regarding your lengthy post, I think you have some interesting and valid points. Though I don't think you will expect the RS to be more compliant on the road. Solely by the replacement of the rubber suspension bushings for hardened ones the suspension feel into the cabin is going to be more harsh. Perhaps your definition of road compliance is different than mine but I would consider it to be how well the car will manage the uneven road surfaces and moderate/ reduce the transference of those "hazards" to the ride quality of the driver/passenger

Regarding looks, here I must disagree, I love the look of the Targa (truth be known I almost went that way over the GT3). However, past the performance experience of the GT3, I love its esthetics.
Greg. I have no direct experience as to whether the RS is more compliant on the road than the 991 GT3. The initial dozen or so reviews I have watched/read would indicate that its at least as complaint as the GT3. However no one has provided a back to back test. At no time am I making an inference as to what I consider to be compliant. The comments in the reviews relating to better steering feel I am predicting have some connection to the removal of rubber in the drive-train/suspension.
I think we are saying the same thing here. I too love the look of the Targa. Infact I believe its a better resolved design aesthetically (than the GT3). However the GT3 is a more aggressive design and the more fun car to drive IMO.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:03 AM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

White with black leds and black wheels.. WIDE!

Old 05-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by karimgt3
White with black leds and black wheels.. WIDE!

Hey, that is my car, I guess I have to go LED now. Ordered Black PDLS.

Thanks Karim, you are good at finding nice pictures!
Old 05-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Here are some more picts:

https://instagram.com/911mechaniker/

Last edited by Kobalt; 06-01-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:10 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

That's exactly how I ordered mine
Looks good!!

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread