Sponsored by:

FIRE EXTINGUiSHER

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Mike - it only limits the use of the most forward 2 or 3 seat positions. On the passenger side, it should be no big deal. It's also simple to install - not like the ones where the entire seat has to come out.
Ray...thanks!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:01 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 252 Posts

Is the factory extinguisher removable? Will the bracket come off easily?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:30 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

just joined after following this 991/GT3 for months , this is a test post , Macca you so rule -Thanks for all your shares
Old 02-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

To follow up on the FE discussion, it's raining like crazy here today so a good time for a quick project installing my Halon extinguisher. I bought the SpeedTactics mounting bracket which at $82.00 is a nice made-in-the-USA anodized aluminum piece (although it doesn't quite compare to Macca's rather more expensive but gorgeous billet part in his 993 ). It's the flat black piece (looks silver cuz of the lighting); my red FE clamp had to be installed first because you can't get to the nuts on the mounting screws once the bracket is in place.

Installation was fairly straightforward and as was mentioned earlier in the thread does not require removal of the seat, only the two front seat track mounting bolts. The tabs on the bracket fit inside the seat rails. I found them to be a very tight fit so a bit of massaging with a Dremel tool improved the situation. Other than that, a simple install and the FE is very secure. The last inch or so of seat travel forward is restricted as the bracket doesn't move with the seat, but for the passenger seat this is a non-issue. If moving the seat all the way forward is required for access, I can just temporarily unclamp the FE.
Attached Images   
Old 02-09-2014, 07:01 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good job, Mike and thanks for posting this. Is the floor mat removable or do you have to loosen the brackets to pull it out?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:35 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the same setup for my 997. Having issues getting the front bolts off as I don't have a torx socket. Directions say to use a 3/8 but seems like it was going to strip bolt. Just ordered a set of sockets and will install next weekend.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:45 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone ever been involved OR witnessed a fire where these FE's saved the car? if my car catches fire I would probably get the hell out and let the insurance deal with it
Attached Images  

Last edited by silverrules; 02-09-2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 02-09-2014, 08:17 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Has anyone ever been involved OR witnessed a fire where these FE's saved the car? if my car catches fire I would probably get the hell out and let the insurance deal with it
I have not seen a car fire where this would have saved the car, but FWIW, I dealt with several minor electrical fires and brush/grass fires (most of them caused by my DIYs ). And against such fires this thing may have a good chance. For example, if the car stalls in dry grass or short in wiring somehow causes fire (very unlikely, though), it may save the car.

But I would not even attempt to use it against anything that looks like burning fuel or other car fluids - RUN!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Good job, Mike and thanks for posting this. Is the floor mat removable or do you have to loosen the brackets to pull it out?
It's snug. You could undo the snaps and definitely pull the mat out but sliding it back under again would be harder. As a practical matter, loosening the bolts a couple of turns would be easiest. At our PCA venue, pulling out the driver mat for autocross is mandatory, but I don't think I'll have any issues with the passenger mat and it's easy enough to lift up for vacuuming, etc. If it becomes an issue I'll look for another solution.

Originally Posted by silverrules
Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I have not seen a car fire where this would have saved the car, but FWIW, I dealt with several minor electrical fires and brush/grass fires (most of them caused by my DIYs ). And against such fires this thing may have a good chance. For example, if the car stalls in dry grass or short in wiring somehow causes fire (very unlikely, though), it may save the car.

But I would not even attempt to use it against anything that looks like burning fuel or other car fluids - RUN!!!
I figure this Halon extinguisher has a better chance of being useful in a few situations than the even smaller dry powder extinguisher that Porsche sells but I have no illusions of trying to be Mike the Fireman. Besides, it's red and goes well with my car!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks greta Mike. I like it.

If anyone feels rich and is hankering after the factory 991 GT3 clubsport set up here it is on ebay UK and below what it looked like fitted in m car (excuse my wife's mess!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-91...item3389c02cd3
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macca
Looks greta Mike. I like it.

If anyone feels rich and is hankering after the factory 991 GT3 clubsport set up here it is on ebay UK and below what it looked like fitted in m car (excuse my wife's mess!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-91...item3389c02cd3
Thanks. FWIW, by "the one Porsche sells" I meant the little extinguisher they sell as an option with our US cars. I already had this FE but hadn't considered the possibility of buying one aftermarket like the one you got with your Club Sport package. That FE looks big enough to actually be useful. Do you recall what kind of fire extinguishing agent is used in it?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Mike. I looked it up online (info below). It looks like Porsche have had a custom bracket made for it to fit it against the transmission tunnel.

For competition use in Targa Tarmac rally events we are required to have a minimum 2Kg fill extinguisher. Luckily this unit meets these requirements (unlike my new Halon one for the 993 which is from the USA and comes in maybe 1.5kg)...

The one Porsche sell as an option when ordering the car is so small as to render it absolutely useless IMO.

http://www.irs.co.jp/oversea/products/org/DP/DP.html
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thanks very much, Macca!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's snug. You could undo the snaps and definitely pull the mat out but sliding it back under again would be harder. As a practical matter, loosening the bolts a couple of turns would be easiest. At our PCA venue, pulling out the driver mat for autocross is mandatory, but I don't think I'll have any issues with the passenger mat and it's easy enough to lift up for vacuuming, etc. If it becomes an issue I'll look for another solution.

I figure this Halon extinguisher has a better chance of being useful in a few situations than the even smaller dry powder extinguisher that Porsche sells but I have no illusions of trying to be Mike the Fireman. Besides, it's red and goes well with my car!

LOL Mike. I got mine because it looks cool but ya, I will run too

Quick Reply: FIRE EXTINGUiSHER