Sponsored by:

DE helmet recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 371 Likes on 223 Posts
Default DE helmet recommendation

I need a nice new one,comfortable,light,the works...
What do you guys use?

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a Bell M3 Pro Series. It's a full face helmet that I bought a few years back before taking an open wheel racing course. It's Kevlar so it's fairly light and has enough room inside to accommodate eyeglasses/sunglasses, both of which were important features for me.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:12 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Internet Caveat Emptor - Helmet fit is very specific, either visit a shop that has several brands and sizes in each or order from a supplier that allows free restocking.

I am currently using a HJC AR-10 II, a Snell SA2010 helmet in flat black. Good value, easy to find parts and accessories. The interior is fully removable for washing.

http://www.saferacer.com/hjc-motorsp...-racing-helmet

If you want lighter, the HJC SI-12 is lighter, however make sure you get the very latest SI-12R as the previous version did not have a removable interior.

Ryan
Old 02-09-2014, 11:14 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

One more thing - a helmet when properly fitted feels almost too snug. It needs to fit right. When you put it on, buckle the chin strap and have another person lift at the rear of the helmet if it moves on your head like it wants to come off the fit is too loose.

Ryan
Old 02-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by reidry
Internet Caveat Emptor - Helmet fit is very specific, either visit a shop that has several brands and sizes in each or order from a supplier that allows free restocking.

Ryan
+1
Old 02-09-2014, 11:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Spoil yourself and get a Stilo

For D.E, the open face would be nice.
Full face if you want to look like you are ready for LeMans.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:26 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the pyrotect pro CF and its really light and comfortable. Theres a code " PYROTECT" for an additional 10% off.

Soloracer.com
Old 02-09-2014, 11:27 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I need a nice new one,comfortable,light,the works...
What do you guys use?

Thanks.
Single biggest denominator is how much money do you want to spend?

I just bought a Stilo composite around $1000 for my wife. It has built in electronic headset, so the instructor's chatterbox can plug right in. Otherwise, the earpiece and mic can start to irritate your ear after a while.

Likewise, when I instruct, having the piece in hurts my ears after a while too, so I had speakers installed into my helmet (Simpson Full face).

Carbon Fiber is more expensive (less than Stilo) but much lighter. Simpson, Bell HTC and Arai all make good helmets. But, I don't think Carbon Fiber is necessary. Spend the extra money on a Hans device and harness system.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 helmet WITH Hans
Old 02-09-2014, 11:59 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 381 Posts

Have the Bell BR-1. HANS ready, reasonably light; very comfortable. Also has a forced air adapter plate.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:04 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

Arai GP-J3. Not too heavy, limited headroom loss (for me anyways - I tried other brands), very comfy. Open face. $500.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:07 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 371 Likes on 223 Posts

Thanks for all the answers so far!

I got mine as a present quite a few years ago,but I guess spending 200-300$ is ok?
I agree about fitment. There are plenty options on the internet,but I'd love to try it first.
So far,I've found a racing shop in New Jersey that has quite a few options. I need to check it out :

http://www.stableenergies.com

No affiliation.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I am currently using a HJC AR-10 II, a Snell SA2010 helmet in flat black. Good value, easy to find parts and accessories. The interior is fully removable for washing.

http://www.saferacer.com/hjc-motorsp...-racing-helmet

If you want lighter, the HJC SI-12 is lighter, however make sure you get the very latest SI-12R as the previous version did not have a removable interior.

Ryan
Ryan. Snap! I have exactly same helmet bought 24 months ago. White with orange visor. Evidence you dont have to spend a fortune on a good helmet! When you step out of the 991 GT3 at the track everyone assumes its a CF helmet worth 1300 USD so you get the best of both worlds LOL!

I also bough Bell Sport Mag 2 last year (open face) for around $250 and seem to use that the most now as I can talk to my passenger with it and I dont like visor helmet inside car in summer (hot and when up not as good visibility as open helmet). I notice all the instructors seem to use open helmet down here....
Old 02-10-2014, 02:24 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 610 Posts

I am currently using a HJC AR-10 II, a Snell SA2010 helmet in flat black.
+1 on trying it on. Case in point, I bought the same HJR helmet, just the older version years back, and it's a good helmet, but it was painful to wear for me, and a size up was too loose. So I had to return one size and sold another (was too late to return) and in desperation bought the simplest Pyrotect, and had a perfect fit. It's heavy though, and gets tiring after 2 hours on track, so I'm thinking about getting something lighter once I start tracking the GT3.

So try before you buy or make sure returns are ok.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:42 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^^This is a big reason why I ended up buying a helmet locally. Even though internet prices were better, being able to try on different helmets and not have to hassle with returning one that didn't fit, was worth the extra cost to me. I guess I could have tried helmets here and then bought on-line but that didn't seem fair to the local business.

Quick Reply: DE helmet recommendation