Sponsored by:

FIRE EXTINGUiSHER

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 AM
swivelhi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIRE EXTINGUiSHER

Is it a requirement for the track or not, and if not, is anyone ordering it?
Old 01-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gimmick in my experience. The clubs I've run with certainly do not require a fire extinguisher for HPDE or time trial events. If you are going to seriously race, you will need a true fire suppression system (and full cage, etc etc)
Old 01-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Last I checked, PCA Metro NY requires a fire extinguisher. Few others require it, but many recommend it. Gives me some peace of mind having it (I've seen a few cars on fire), but I'm willing to track a car that doesn't have it.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:18 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Many PCA regions require a fire extinguisher for DE events and, typically Class BC or ABC rated, 2.5 lb. minimum, fully charged.

The Porsche fire extinguisher is described as "Compact DIN EN3 powder extinguisher containing 2.2 lbs of extinguishing agent" in the configurator.

The dry powder is corrosive and it will damage any paint and electrical components that it touches. That could be the least of your worries if your car is on fire. If someone else's car were on fire and I had the only readily available extinguisher, would I let them know that I was about to ruin their paint before spraying the fire? I don't know.

Instead of the dry powder or dry chemical extinguishers, there are none corrosive versions. Halguard and Halotron fire extinguishers use a gas that smothers the fire. Halguard and Halotron will not damage paint or electrical components.

A Halguard 2.5 lb fire extinguisher costs ~$150 and a mounting bracket to the seat base costs $90 to $200. For an extra $100 over the Porsche option, I'd rather have the one that won't damage the paint. And I think that they look a lot better than the Porsche option.

Last edited by alpine-al; 01-23-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Ychaudhary
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Many PCA regions require a fire extinguisher for DE events and, typically Class BC or ABC rated, 2.5 lb. minimum, fully charged.

The Porsche fire extinguisher is described as "Compact DIN EN3 powder extinguisher containing 2.2 lbs of extinguishing agent" in the configurator.

The dry powder is corrosive and it will damage any paint and electrical components that it touches. That could be the least of your worries if your car is on fire. If someone else's car were on fire and I had the only readily available extinguisher, before spraying it would I let them know I was about to ruin their paint before spraying the fire? I don't know.

Instead of the dry powder or dry chemical extinguishers, there are none corrosive versions. Halguard and Halotron fire extinguishers use a gas that smothers the fire. Halguard and Halotron will not damage paint or electrical components.

A Halguard 2.5 lb fire extinguisher costs ~$150 and a mounting bracket to the seat base costs $90 to $200. For an extra $100 over the Porsche option, I'd rather have the one that won't damage the paint. And I think that they look a lot better than the Porsche option.

That's a serious moral dilemma..... To spray the car and potentially damage it or to not spray the car and possibly let the damage get even worse. That's a tough one.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,777 Likes on 2,367 Posts

from personal experience. the little FE bottle looks great and some clubs requires it. but should u or your car catch on fire, get the fk out and run away from track, behind wall, as far away from car as you can b/c the little FE will not do anything. i know i was there, i tried to put out the very small fire. it was NOT funny when i was using it.

let the car burn, the safety worker will deal with it with a MUCH bigger FE.

if you have full fire supression, like in a race car, pull the kill switch then get the hell out of the car.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:15 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The dry powder is corrosive and it will damage any paint and electrical components that it touches. That could be the least of your worries if your car is on fire. If someone else's car were on fire and I had the only readily available extinguisher, before spraying it would I let them know I was about to ruin their paint before spraying the fire? I don't know.

Can you direct me to one you cited? Many thanks....GR
Old 01-22-2014, 02:27 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GR997S
Can you direct me to one you cited? Many thanks....GR
http://www.speedtactics.com/fire_extinguisher.php

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/htr-hg250r/overview/

No affiliation.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

+1 to the above. I have a 2.5 lb Halon extinguisher and passed on the FE option in my new GT3. Have to get a new mounting bracket, though. My understanding is that Halitron is a replacement for, but not as effective as Halon, however Halon has been phased out due to environmental issues.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Speaking of FE mounts, has anyone had experience with this mount from SpeedTactics?

http://www.speedtactics.com/porsche_extinguisher.php
Old 01-23-2014, 12:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Mike. I agree with above. The factory option FE is inadequate. Infact its a joke really and its like a tin of flyspray.

I received the 5lb FE with my Clubsport 003 spec 991 GT3. Its not an option in the states.

On my 993 I have this lovely SS BK adjustable bar with platform. On top I have a Patrick Motorsports (I think) quick release billet alloy FE holder. Its a real work of art. The organ stop pull piece is quality plastic on a SS shaft with a recessed ball bearing at the other end to create a "click" into place. Ive replace the puny FE in the picture with a 2.5lb one I imported from the states recently. If you are going to do it right you cant go past this set up - I cant recall the cost but maybe $200...
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2014, 12:55 AM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've used the Speed Tactics parts in the past. Great part. Good service. Worked great for me. I'll be using them when my gt3 shows up.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:24 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I've used the Speed Tactics mount in several cars. It's in my Cayman now. Works fine, but I had to modify it a bit. The tabs were slightly too wide to fit in the seat rails.

The only possible issue - it mounts to the front seat bolts, therefore it limits full forward motion of the seat. Not a problem for me as I'm 5' 11". Shorter drivers may have an issue.

I also agree with Halon as the best agent. Even with a full fire suppression system. I've seen a car with a foam (i.e. water) system in action - there is a big whoosh of steam as the water is instantly boiled off and the fire continues burning.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:53 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Ray, you've confirmed my suspicion that the way the mount attaches might limit seat movement. Since my plan was to install it on the passenger side, I don't suppose that's a big issue. Could you guesstimate how much travel is allowed with a FE in place?

Macca, that looks like a lovely piece of work. The question is whether it would fit under an adaptive sport seat. My understanding is that the motors, and all the kit for the air bladders and such limits what can be mounted under there.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:53 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Ray, you've confirmed my suspicion that the way the mount attaches might limit seat movement. Since my plan was to install it on the passenger side, I don't suppose that's a big issue. Could you guesstimate how much travel is allowed with a FE in place?
Mike - it only limits the use of the most forward 2 or 3 seat positions. On the passenger side, it should be no big deal. It's also simple to install - not like the ones where the entire seat has to come out.

Quick Reply: FIRE EXTINGUiSHER