Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth the wait?...Oh yeah!....Pics, comments, review

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:48 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 549 Posts

You are making me very jealous Mike!! Great write-up and awesome pics. Enjoy your car and the great weather we are having. Now I am really regretting the decision not to upgrade my S and get a GT3. The PDK-S upgrades sound spot on, what you would want and expect in this car. Lift seems essential.

How's the exhaust note?

BTW, I spent a few days in Sonoma over New Year, my sister has a vacation house up there.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:01 AM
Matt-R20
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
PCCB's are awesome. The initial bite and overall feel are great. I can't wait to give them more of a workout. After a trip like today's, my Carrera's wheels and bodywork would have been filthy with brake dust. I can detect some dust if I run my finger over the wheels, but it's nothing like before. I won't try and convince anyone that PCCB's are worth the cost, but they are really nice.
Totally agree, biggest side benefit of PCCB is the lack of dust.

Beautiful GT3!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:04 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
You are making me very jealous Mike!! Great write-up and awesome pics. Enjoy your car and the great weather we are having. Now I am really regretting the decision not to upgrade my S and get a GT3. The PDK-S upgrades sound spot on, what you would want and expect in this car. Lift seems essential.

How's the exhaust note?

BTW, I spent a few days in Sonoma over New Year, my sister has a vacation house up there.
Thanks, rodsky! If you keep your foot out of it at normal speeds, the exhaust isn't that different from PSE on a Carrera, just a little louder. But give it some throttle and it starts to howl. Can only imagine the sound at 9K! Personally, I can't see wanting to make it louder.

It's making me a little crazy keeping the revs down, and some may think me nuts, but after waiting 2 years for the car I figure I can wait two more weeks to break it in properly (IMO).

If you make it up here again, would love to buy you a beer.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mike. Snap on the RX100M2. Picked one up in HK after New Years and now wished Id upgraded our Canon S110 to the RX100 a year ago! Why is it we always buy a better camera at the end of a holiday LOL! My Nikon DSLR hadst seen much use in years - since we started with the Canon S90 about four years back. The F2.0 lense back then in a pocket was a revelation the Ziess F1.8 now in the Sony even more so...I digress!

In relation to the question re MT in this car my thought are that it could work but would be a whole different car and certainly not as quick. Ive only ever owned MT 911s before and I heel/Toe but I found the stability coming down from significant speeds before turning into a corner quite unreal with the PDK-S, it can blip the throttle way quicker than I can and seamlessly into the next lowest gear.

Over the years Ive had a number of instructors give me tuition on track. The son of the famous Jack Brabham (he was a 1960s F1 champion - Australian) taught me a few things. Firstly, minimise steering input - a VERY fast driver will calculate the angle of the wheel and make perhaps one or two corrections not fidget the wheel and was time, speed and energy. The other thing was a big one - he said you will never be fast until you understand the physics of driving (weight loading = traction and upsetting balance = inertia - often unwanted directions!). IMO what the new GT3 does is enable you to make efficient steering inputs and upset the chassis balance less and if you are already a quick driver you will find this car can be really sublime as it gives you processing power to focus on the line and the brakes or just get it sideways and have some fun!

All of that said I will embarrassingly admit that I am still getting used to teh paddles when really pressing on. I tend to hold the wheel too long through the ark of a turn instead of hand over hand with it. part of it is the small dimension of the wheel and the other part is the fear of loosing touch with the paddle! Im sure I will learn with time but never owned a paddle shift car. Its also possible to forget which paddle does what (dont ask me how!) - seriously I cocked that up more than once! I think I like the idea of using the shifter more than the paddles as its less foreign but every time I do this I realise how long my hand is away form the wheel and revert back to the paddles!

For a newby there are still some things to learn in being proficient in this car no matter what your MT skill level and bravado is. When you hook up a nice 10-15 minute drive ion an empty twisty road and you get it all right its quite exhilarating. Just leave your wife at home...

Sorry Mike, please resume service...
Old 01-15-2014, 01:37 AM
green
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pics Mike, thanks for sharing!
Did your coastal trip take you to Bodega Bay? Great little oyster shack there.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:39 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
All of that said I will embarrassingly admit that I am still getting used to teh paddles when really pressing on. I tend to hold the wheel too long through the ark of a turn instead of hand over hand with it. part of it is the small dimension of the wheel and the other part is the fear of loosing touch with the paddle! Im sure I will learn with time but never owned a paddle shift car. Its also possible to forget which paddle does what (dont ask me how!) - seriously I cocked that up more than once!
Macca, I recognize that from my previous cars where the paddles were attached to and hence turn with the steering wheel. In my case, as soon as these paddles were always where I expected them to be, thus fixed to the steering column (such as with the GT-R), that issue disappeared. It will be a part of the comparison of the GT3 and Speciale too. At the end of the day, it's personal preference, I reckon...
Old 01-15-2014, 02:01 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Congrats Mike-really enjoyed the reviews and pictures.
Jim
Old 01-15-2014, 02:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Mike. Snap on the RX100M2. Picked one up in HK after New Years and now wished Id upgraded our Canon S110 to the RX100 a year ago! Why is it we always buy a better camera at the end of a holiday LOL! My Nikon DSLR hadst seen much use in years - since we started with the Canon S90 about four years back. The F2.0 lense back then in a pocket was a revelation the Ziess F1.8 now in the Sony even more so...I digress!

In relation to the question re MT in this car my thought are that it could work but would be a whole different car and certainly not as quick. Ive only ever owned MT 911s before and I heel/Toe but I found the stability coming down from significant speeds before turning into a corner quite unreal with the PDK-S, it can blip the throttle way quicker than I can and seamlessly into the next lowest gear.

Over the years Ive had a number of instructors give me tuition on track. The son of the famous Jack Brabham (he was a 1960s F1 champion - Australian) taught me a few things. Firstly, minimise steering input - a VERY fast driver will calculate the angle of the wheel and make perhaps one or two corrections not fidget the wheel and was time, speed and energy. The other thing was a big one - he said you will never be fast until you understand the physics of driving (weight loading = traction and upsetting balance = inertia - often unwanted directions!). IMO what the new GT3 does is enable you to make efficient steering inputs and upset the chassis balance less and if you are already a quick driver you will find this car can be really sublime as it gives you processing power to focus on the line and the brakes or just get it sideways and have some fun!

All of that said I will embarrassingly admit that I am still getting used to teh paddles when really pressing on. I tend to hold the wheel too long through the ark of a turn instead of hand over hand with it. part of it is the small dimension of the wheel and the other part is the fear of loosing touch with the paddle! Im sure I will learn with time but never owned a paddle shift car. Its also possible to forget which paddle does what (dont ask me how!) - seriously I cocked that up more than once! I think I like the idea of using the shifter more than the paddles as its less foreign but every time I do this I realise how long my hand is away form the wheel and revert back to the paddles!

For a newby there are still some things to learn in being proficient in this car no matter what your MT skill level and bravado is. When you hook up a nice 10-15 minute drive ion an empty twisty road and you get it all right its quite exhilarating. Just leave your wife at home...

Sorry Mike, please resume service...
No apology needed, Macca; greatly appreciate your input and was hoping you'd chime in. My time with this car has been so limited that I didn't feel right passing judgment on how well it would have worked with a MT, to answer Nick's question, but I certainly agree with your general conclusions based on my own paddle shift experience. And yes, it is possible to confuse the paddles at full lock, for example.....

Quickly, OT re: the first generation RXM100: In researching the camera I found mention of battery issues that have been fixed with the M2 version. Be glad you waited!

Originally Posted by green
Great pics Mike, thanks for sharing!
Did your coastal trip take you to Bodega Bay? Great little oyster shack there.
Thanks green. I did go though Bodega Bay, but didn't stop for lunch....
Old 01-15-2014, 02:49 AM
Leilani Rios
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice write up Mike. Now I need to make some road trips and get some miles in.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:48 AM
AbsolutelyNobody
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 102 Posts

Red really looks unbelievable on the GT3, congrats and love the writeup!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,908 Likes on 2,240 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Manifold, as you know I had very high expectations for the car. In all honesty, I can't think of anything yet that has disappointed me. The look, the sound, the feel on the road have all met or exceeded what I hoped for. As I said though, I've barely scratched the surface performance-wise, and something may crop up after I start pushing the car more. I'm not anticipating that, but of course it's possible. I know all mechanical devices can have problems, but if the car were to have serious or persistent mechanical issues that would likely put a damper on my enthusiasm. For now, I'm still very excited that it's in my garage.
A risk of very high expectations is disappointment, so great to hear that you're not disappointed in any way. Now the converse question: in what ways, if any, has your subjective impression of the car exceeded your expectations?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 725 Likes on 340 Posts

Great mike!

Two q

Does the throttle blip much on the downshift?

Did u order pse it's not an option in can
Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Did u order pse it's not an option in can
It's not an option everywhere. The car comes with Sport Exhaust,it's not like regular Carreras where you'd have to spec it. And it does have the PSE button to open flaps and make it even louder.

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 725 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
It's not an option everywhere. The car comes with Sport Exhaust,it's not like regular Carreras where you'd have to spec it. And it does have the PSE button to open flaps and make it even louder.
Good to know. Thanks man.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

MIke, thanks for the excellent informative report. Looking forward to your thoughts once you get a chance to give it a good workout.

Really love the color. Good choice!

Quick Reply: Worth the wait?...Oh yeah!....Pics, comments, review