Sponsored by:

Worth the wait?...Oh yeah!....Pics, comments, review

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:06 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike -
Congratulations on your new GT3, as everyone has noted it looks beautiful. And thanks for taking time to report out on your experiences so far, it really is insightful for those of us thinking about one in the future (near or far). Like you, I am only familar with regular PDK so your assessment of PDK-S is helpful. One question for you, have you had a chance to test out the more neutral balance of the 991 GT3? Appreciate your thoughts when you have a break from driving.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:24 PM
GT3Toronto
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Mike!!

Best GR pics I have seen hands down! Car looks fantastic.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
So along the lines of the "worth the wait" statement..

what would you guys do, I have an order in that gets locked down in the next day or so. Its a first week of May delivery

I have another dealer calling me back offering a car that the buyer fell through. its in stock and ready for delivery. not a perfect configuration but 70% there.

do I wait ? do I take it now and have it for track season starting in Feb?!?!

Jeff
Based on your post, your heart is not in the car ready for delivery. If the remaining 30% configuration is important to you I would pass. You are looking at probably less than 90 days to get the car you want.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:46 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
So along the lines of the "worth the wait" statement..

what would you guys do, I have an order in that gets locked down in the next day or so. Its a first week of May delivery

I have another dealer calling me back offering a car that the buyer fell through. its in stock and ready for delivery. not a perfect configuration but 70% there.

do I wait ? do I take it now and have it for track season starting in Feb?!?!

Jeff
Jeff,
What does it have, what is it missing? Personally, I am all about the details in my cars, so if something was missing, it would bug me to no end. Some people could care less...which are you?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
Mike -
Congratulations on your new GT3, as everyone has noted it looks beautiful. And thanks for taking time to report out on your experiences so far, it really is insightful for those of us thinking about one in the future (near or far). Like you, I am only familar with regular PDK so your assessment of PDK-S is helpful. One question for you, have you had a chance to test out the more neutral balance of the 991 GT3? Appreciate your thoughts when you have a break from driving.
Thanks, stronbl. I'm still breaking the car in (didn't get to drive it much today or yesterday; long road trip tomorrow) and honestly I haven't pushed it hard enough yet to evaluate it's behavior anywhere near it's limits. I've taken turns at extra-legal speeds and it stays planted and goes exactly where you point it, but then any current Porsche will do that without drama. The test for me will be when the car is broken in and I autocross it for the first time in another month or so. The tail out slides and other shenanigans that the magazine/video journos pull to find the limits of the car, are not something I'm willing to do on public roads around here.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:55 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 252 Posts

I came to my senses and realized I should wait..!

Means there is a GT3 out there...somewhere..waiting for an owner...

Jeff
Old 01-18-2014, 10:59 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the kind words on the pics. I've been leaving my Canon DSLR and lenses at home recently because I've been wanting to try out the new Sony RX100M2 that I got for Christmas. It's classified as a "pocket camera" but it's got a nice Carl Zeiss 1.8 lens and a ton of cool creative features. It's so easy to slip into my pocket or the glovebox and not have to worry about the big Canon rolling around, yet I've been very happy with the photos it takes.[/QUOTE]

Mike
Best picture hands down. Love your small camera. Much better than DSLR. Sony surprises me sometimes. Have you checked out Sony A7R
Old 01-19-2014, 12:15 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by silverrules
Mike
Best picture hands down. Love your small camera. Much better than DSLR. Sony surprises me sometimes. Have you checked out Sony A7R
silverrules, Sony A7R is a very impressive camera and I wouldn't mind owning one. I'm guessing you do. For a "backup" camera, I wanted something I could literally slip into my pocket, which I can do with RX100M2. Especially when out and about while travelling, it's nice to not have to deal with a camera bag or a camera dangling from your neck, yet still be able to take a quality picture.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:19 PM
certified_prime
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike - was that your car parked at Skyline Blvd and La Honda / 84 near Mountain Terrace on Saturday? I was at a wedding in the area, and saw a shiny new red GT3 (as well as a silver one at the end of the day).

Very nice. It definitely looks worth 2 of my C2.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by certified_prime
Mike - was that your car parked at Skyline Blvd and La Honda / 84 near Mountain Terrace on Saturday? I was at a wedding in the area, and saw a shiny new red GT3 (as well as a silver one at the end of the day).

My car was still safely in the garage today when I got back from a weekend away so it wasn't me. Thanks for the positive red car comment though!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:20 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by certified_prime

That was my car - the other red GT3
Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
That was my car - the other red GT3
I figured it probably was, Max, but I wasn't going to say anything....
Old 01-21-2014, 12:51 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 600 Posts

I also saw a silver GT3 on the road that looked like 991, and a 997 blue one that day.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:15 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike congrats on the car.. It's absolutely amazing!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats Mike - this color scheme is hard to beat. Just like my old 997.2.

Quick Reply: Worth the wait?...Oh yeah!....Pics, comments, review