Sponsored by:

Interior Noise Level

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
after dinner and 5 miles of all twisty road is not easy on wifey. My daughter had me stooped few time thinking she was ready to throw up. I am sure family will like this the 991 more.
Funny. I've had very similar experiences.....
Old 01-20-2014, 03:20 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just read on another forum that the GT3 produces significantly more in-cabin tire noise than a C2S... Have any current owners noticed this? We plan to drive ours on some long road trips, and I'm beginning to think this may not be the right car for this kind of driving...
Old 01-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Depending on road surface, the GT3 is louder overall than a C2S, from tires, engine, and other mechanical sources. Part of it is that at 70 mph the GT3 is turning close to 3K rpm, while a Carrera is closer to 2300. Also, given the noises that permeate into the cabin, I'm certain the car has less sound deadening. If you keep your foot out of the GT3 and cruise at 65mph with the exhaust "closed" there isn't a big difference between the GT3 and Carrera (at least my previous 997.2) but what's the fun of that?

People's tolerances for noise are much different so it's hard to say what you'd find objectionable on a long trip. I don't have a problem with the sound level; I think it's fine. But while the 991 GT3 might be a little quieter than the previous version, it isn't a quiet car.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:40 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike! Excellent info... One of the things I love about the C2S is it's ability to double as a comfortable GT car for our long drives and road trips. So I guess I'm just trying to get a relative feel for how much of that might be lost with the GT3... If too much is lost, then maybe I should stick with the C2S. But if it's not much of a difference, then it sounds like the GT3 may be just fine!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't get a GT3 because quiet and comfortable (and safe over speed bumps) are high on my list of needs. If you take your GT3 to the track then the trade off is probably worth it. If you DON'T track your car then I don't get the GT3 as a DD. Everybody's balance point is different. If I would have purchased a GT3 my wife would not go in it and I don't feel like driving her Lexus in the nice weather. Sunroof/Burmester/heated steering wheel where all mandatory for me. Most trackies could not care less about these options. Do you?
Old 01-20-2014, 05:00 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am sure that the interior drone will be similar to the 997.2 which becomes evident on long haul stints (6-8 hrs)
The solution those little yellow foamy ear plugs VIOLA! That frequency is blocked out, but you can still hear your tunes just as well.
A great case for the smokers package. A great case to store the ear plugs or coins and it has a lid and costs 0.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:37 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 590 Posts

It's noisy. Engine is not loud when cruising below 80MPH, but noise from the road is much stronger than in regular Carrera. On concrete or old pavement roads it drowns out engine completely at highway speeds. Maybe it's the tires and with something like PSS it will be different, but I think it still will be louder than C2S by a good margin. I can hear every tiny rock hitting wheel wells.

But with stock tires I would not recommend this car for very long trips - vibration and noise are tiring, especially to those who are not driving.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^+1
Old 01-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It's noisy. Engine is not loud when cruising below 80MPH, but noise from the road is much stronger than in regular Carrera. On concrete or old pavement roads it drowns out engine completely at highway speeds. Maybe it's the tires and with something like PSS it will be different, but I think it still will be louder than C2S by a good margin. I can hear every tiny rock hitting wheel wells.

But with stock tires I would not recommend this car for very long trips - vibration and noise are tiring, especially to those who are not driving.
Originally Posted by eilig
Thanks Mike! Excellent info... One of the things I love about the C2S is it's ability to double as a comfortable GT car for our long drives and road trips. So I guess I'm just trying to get a relative feel for how much of that might be lost with the GT3... If too much is lost, then maybe I should stick with the C2S. But if it's not much of a difference, then it sounds like the GT3 may be just fine!
I agree with Max. I think the lack of sound deadening in the fender areas and throughout the body contributes to hearing rocks and such rattling around in the fenders and tire and mechanical noise in general. On very smooth pavement, there isn't a huge difference to my 997.2 Carrera S which had the stiffer sport suspension, but when the road is less than perfect you hear it. The other issue is that the car is really low which doesn't contribute to noise necessarily, but makes the car less versatile as a road car.

eilig, as I said, it depends on personal tolerance and some people will say that the GT3 will work great as a long distance cruiser. It sounds to me, though, that if you and your wife are expecting a "comfortable GT car" for long road trips, in comparison to a 991 C2S especially, you may be disappointed.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:03 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I agree with Max. I think the lack of sound deadening in the fender areas and throughout the body contributes to hearing rocks and such rattling around in the fenders and tire and mechanical noise in general. On very smooth pavement, there isn't a huge difference to my 997.2 Carrera S which had the stiffer sport suspension, but when the road is less than perfect you hear it. The other issue is that the car is really low which doesn't contribute to noise necessarily, but makes the car less versatile as a road car.

eilig, as I said, it depends on personal tolerance and some people will say that the GT3 will work great as a long distance cruiser. It sounds to me, though, that if you and your wife are expecting a "comfortable GT car" for long road trips, in comparison to a 991 C2S especially, you may be disappointed.
Thanks guys! Last summer we drove a 458 Italia about 1,200 miles through Europe and we actually found it to be very comfortable all around.... Plenty of interior space, very acceptable ride quality, and the noise level was not objectionable. That being said, I wonder how the GT3 compares to the 458 in this regard...
Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,000 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by eilig
Thanks guys! Last summer we drove a 458 Italia about 1,200 miles through Europe and we actually found it to be very comfortable all around.... Plenty of interior space, very acceptable ride quality, and the noise level was not objectionable. That being said, I wonder how the GT3 compares to the 458 in this regard...
It cant be that much different other than the tire noise which is just a matter of composition. If the 458 wasnt too loud, I dont see the GT3 being too loud either.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:37 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Personnaly I specifically purchased GT3 for the noise and all the shakes that comes with it. Turbo, C2S, C4S were way too quite for me even after adding the sport exhaust from Tubi and alike. If noise is a concern I wouldn't purchase GT3. It's a different car all together and it comes with noise and ride is stiffer. I don't think you would be happy if noise is a concern

Quick Reply: Interior Noise Level