Sponsored by:

AIM Solo in a 991 GT3 - Forget about the OBDII Cable Connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 05:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
Thanks Joe. I must have misunderstood. Perhaps it's just ProCoach who is bundling the right angle OBD2.

Any difference from a smartycamHD perspective whether CAN or OBD?
I don't think so. Maybe gear position if CAN does it without calculating.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Hermes911
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AIM Solo in a 991 GT3

Thanks. When you recommend using the "math channels in RS2" I assume you are referring to the process described in http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ce_109_eng.pdf.
If so, the process requires the installer (hopefully not me) to drive the car holding each gear for a few seconds and checking the Solo for accuracy. I imagine this would have to be done using the shift paddles otherwise the automatic mode may shift through the gears too quickly. Yikes! I am starting to regret buying into this equipment.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hermes911
Thanks. When you recommend using the "math channels in RS2" I assume you are referring to the process described in http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ce_109_eng.pdf.
If so, the process requires the installer (hopefully not me) to drive the car holding each gear for a few seconds and checking the Solo for accuracy. I imagine this would have to be done using the shift paddles otherwise the automatic mode may shift through the gears too quickly. Yikes! I am starting to regret buying into this equipment.
No. Please refer to my last post which had a link to a video on how to add math channels. It is done post hoc. If you are worried about the hassle of driving for a few seconds in each gear to get the auto calculator to work (I've never been able to get this to work), then you DEFINITELY don't want to mess with the math channels. Race Studio2 is NOT for the light hearted. It is difficult to use and takes a long time to learn. Once you do, it is VERY powerful, but many people don't want to bother with this.

Gear position is one of the least important channels anyway, so I just wouldn't sweat it.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:41 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
I installed the data cable between the dash and the A pillar. I decided to go with the DL CAN bus connection. The problem I am having is the Aim Solo unit turns itself back on after I turn it off. Even though I used a key on power source the CAN bus excites the Solo when you close the door or when anything happens in the car. Just touch the door handle and the unit lights up.
I've seen the same here...very annoying. I've taken to unpluging the CAN/power input cable from the unit to stop it coming on and collecting spurious data for things like trips to the gas pump that I really don't need to analyze. The trouble with that approach is my memory...or more to the point remembering to check that it _is_ hooked up when I actually do want it to record...

I wonder if this can be fixed in the firmware??
Old 05-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to buy?

Where do you guys recommend I order one from? Any place with a rennlist discount?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:48 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I got mine from Peter (ProCoach) -- no affiliation other than being a happy customer but I'd recommend you can't go wrong in doing the same. Excellent support, which is a very important thing when it comes to something like this which benefits from tailoring to your particular needs. Not to mention Peter provides a wealth of useful information in this and other forums...to me that's worth forgoing any minor discount you might fine elsewhere.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bartron
Where do you guys recommend I order one from? Any place with a rennlist discount?
Try Clark at apex performance. They are a rennlist sponsor and offer rennlist discounts
Old 05-19-2015, 08:49 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boxer-11
I got mine from Peter (ProCoach) -- no affiliation other than being a happy customer but I'd recommend you can't go wrong in doing the same. Excellent support, which is a very important thing when it comes to something like this which benefits from tailoring to your particular needs. Not to mention Peter provides a wealth of useful information in this and other forums...to me that's worth forgoing any minor discount you might fine elsewhere.
Fully agree, I've emailed him. Hope to hear soon. Not sure what pricing is like with the value-added.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm having the "auto power on" issue in my 991 GT3 with OBD2 as well. Been happening from day one and the supplier said something peculiar to the design of the car is triggering power to the ODD2 plug. I thought going CAN might solve my issue but apparently not from what poster above has reported.

I let the system use the gear calculator and its 100% accurate and reflects the gears pretty much immediately.

The OBD2 resolution is acceptable to me. When I watch the videos I don't notice any delay. For speed and position on track we are already limited to 10hz GPS sampling rate offered by the Aim solo head unit....
Old 05-20-2015, 10:43 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

After importing I sort by lap time and mass de-check everything that is obviously too fast. Most of my random recorded laps are shorter than a minute.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:51 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Macca
I decided to go the CAN bus route for the faster sampling rate and not to have the plug interference from the OBD2 connector. There may be a positive feed that works, I just haven't found it yet. My thinking at this point is the signal comes from the CAN bus not the red positive feed from the circuit breaker panel. I plan to experiment with feeds from the passenger side circuit breaker panel, just need a little time.

Last edited by SmokinGTS; 05-21-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Macca
I decided to go the CAN bus route for the faster sampling rate and not to have the plug interference from the OBD2 connector. There may be a positive feed that works, I just haven't found it yet. My thinking at this point is the signal comes from the CAN bus not the red positive feed from the circuit breaker panel. I plan to experiment with feeds from the passenger side circuit breaker panel, just need a little time.
Good idea mate. Let us know if you find a solution (feed that doesnt switch live randomly). On a RHD car we have the plug on the passenger footwell so its no nuisance there for OBD2. There is a flat OBD2 adaptor sold on Amazon mentioned elsewhere on here which will fit behind the panel unobtrusively...
Old 05-26-2015, 02:39 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

I have done lots of testing on my Solo DL that I have connected to the CAN bus and think I have the problem figured out. The CAN bus excites the Solo unit and turns it on. You can disconnect DC power to the Solo but there is still power provided thru the CAN +- that turns the unit on, so there is no way to actually turn the unit off except for disconnecting the main feed to the Solo and then turn it off with the power button.
I have contacted Aim Sports and was told they will make a firmware change that will allow the power to switch off and stay off. When I get the new firmware I will make a post with the details and results.

Last edited by SmokinGTS; 05-26-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 625 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
After importing I sort by lap time and mass de-check everything that is obviously too fast. Most of my random recorded laps are shorter than a minute.
Why are you getting random recorded laps that are too fast??
Old 05-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I have done lots of testing on my Solo DL that I have connected to the CAN bus and think I have the problem figured out. The CAN bus excites the Solo unit and turns it on. You can disconnect DC power to the Solo but there is still power provided thru the CAN +- that turns the unit on, so there is no way to actually turn the unit off except for disconnecting the main feed to the Solo and then turn it off with the power button.
I have contacted Aim Sports and was told they will make a firmware change that will allow the power to switch off and stay off. When I get the new firmware I will make a post with the details and results.
Mate thanks for working through this. Consistent with my experience using the OBDII connector too. Im glad someone at AIM is finally onto this as I complained too and was told it was my cars fault. I suspect it will take another 6 months before we have a firmware patch for this. The smartyCam HD 2.0 had a microphone gain issue and they sorted that out with a revision after about 6 months. It shouldnt be too hard to make the unit stay off with a revision surely...let us know if you hear anything....

Quick Reply: AIM Solo in a 991 GT3 - Forget about the OBDII Cable Connection