Sponsored by:

AIM Solo in a 991 GT3 - Forget about the OBDII Cable Connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015 | 07:10 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Why are you getting random recorded laps that are too fast??
It looks like it records every start/stop while the unit is on. Maybe I have a configuration error? I'll have "laps" that are 20s long
Old 05-27-2015 | 11:06 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
It looks like it records every start/stop while the unit is on. Maybe I have a configuration error? I'll have "laps" that are 20s long
Correct. Every time you start moving the car, it starts to record. Also, you need to discard the outlap and inlap because it's not a complete lap. If you start moving before the lap marker and then cross the lap marker 20s later, you will get a 20s lap
Old 05-27-2015 | 01:51 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Correct. Every time you start moving the car, it starts to record. Also, you need to discard the outlap and inlap because it's not a complete lap. If you start moving before the lap marker and then cross the lap marker 20s later, you will get a 20s lap
Surprising that these things can't be configured to be smarter than that. Even the Porsche Track Precision app doesn't do that.
Old 05-27-2015 | 02:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Surprising that these things can't be configured to be smarter than that. Even the Porsche Track Precision app doesn't do that.
LOL. True, the track app does do a better job from this standpoint. It's not a big deal to disable inlap/outlaps on Racestudio, though.
Old 05-31-2015 | 02:32 AM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

duplicate post. Oops.

Last edited by Bartron; 05-31-2015 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-31-2015 | 02:41 AM
Bartron
Racer

Picked up the Solo DL unit from Peter Krause. He was fantastic to deal with and sent everything I needed to simply setup and go.

I ordered the ultra-low profile OBD plug from amazon for a cleaner install.

I ran the cables out of sight under panels and plastic, then ziptied the bundle under the dash.

I have a question for you guys.

In reviewing my video, it seems my accelerometer shows the wrong direction. As in the red dot seems to go to the right when I turn to the right which seems backwards to me. I have the camera set for an upside down image as it is mounted upside down but I must be missing something because it would seem the accelerometer forgot it's upside down.

Ideas?
Old 05-31-2015 | 11:16 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bartron

I have a question for you guys.

In reviewing my video, it seems my accelerometer shows the wrong direction. As in the red dot seems to go to the right when I turn to the right which seems backwards to me. I have the camera set for an upside down image as it is mounted upside down but I must be missing something because it would seem the accelerometer forgot it's upside down.

Ideas?
Not sure about this since I don't use the smarty cam, but don't forget to calibrate the accelerometer every time after you mount the solo. This needs to be done with a laptop connected to the solo and running race studio 2. It's a pita, but needs to be done if you want accurate readings. Why you can't do this without a laptop is beyond me
Old 05-31-2015 | 11:48 AM
Bartron
Racer

Thanks Joe. I calibrated the camera when mounted. I did not calibrate the unit but I'm pretty sure Peter did before he sent it as he upgraded the firmware and loaded tracks for both.

FYI if you try to send the calibration from the laptop to the unit, it will wipe the data on the unit. Lost my data, but at least the video is already overlaid so I can still learn from it. Live and learn.

I was running race studio in VirtualBox but I think I'll resurrect an old laptop and just run windows in Bootcamp. The software is definitely not apple-type friendly. I can see a long learning curve but also the immense potential built in that I'll never scratch.

There seem to be OBD2 channels relating to wheel spin but I'm not sure how to enable them. I also have to program the gearing thing as it was off.

Overall, first time out the thing worked very well out of the box (per Peter's pre-shipping prep) but obviously there will be some tweaking required.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Not sure about this since I don't use the smarty cam, but don't forget to calibrate the accelerometer every time after you mount the solo. This needs to be done with a laptop connected to the solo and running race studio 2. It's a pita, but needs to be done if you want accurate readings. Why you can't do this without a laptop is beyond me
Old 05-31-2015 | 01:46 PM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but I monitored this thread awhile ago and may have forgotten specific details. My question is what's the difference between the Solo DL and SmartyCam HD Advanced Standalone Model with regards to data capture? Could I just use the SmartyCam as a standalone instead of going with both? What added benefit does the Solo DL bring to the mix?
Old 05-31-2015 | 02:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Tre
I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but I monitored this thread awhile ago and may have forgotten specific details. My question is what's the difference between the Solo DL and SmartyCam HD Advanced Standalone Model with regards to data capture? Could I just use the SmartyCam as a standalone instead of going with both? What added benefit does the Solo DL bring to the mix?
You should post this in the data section, under the racing forum.

But quick summary: Smartycam HD needs a GPS if used as stand alone (well it doesn't NEED but if you want track maps and timing you do). If you do this, you will get video with overlay of the tracks and some data like timing, gs, location, etc. You will get no car data. You cannot review the data in Racestudio post-run. You get your video, with basic overlays. That's it.

Adding a SoloDL with a smartycam hd lets you get 3 main additional features:
--you get a timing display, real time
--you can get car data, braking pressure, throttle, oil, temps, etc added to your smarycam overlay
--You can review your data post-run in race studio. That data lives on the SoloDL

One additional point:
--You could get a smarycam hd with the ECU bridge and get car data overlay on the camera. You will won't be able to review data post-run or have a display.
Old 05-31-2015 | 03:17 PM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the response.
Old 06-21-2015 | 01:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,352 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
Thanks Joe. I calibrated the camera when mounted. I did not calibrate the unit but I'm pretty sure Peter did before he sent it as he upgraded the firmware and loaded tracks for both.

I was running race studio in VirtualBox but I think I'll resurrect an old laptop and just run windows in Bootcamp. The software is definitely not apple-type friendly.

I also have to program the gearing thing as it was off.

Overall, first time out the thing worked very well out of the box (per Peter's pre-shipping prep) but obviously there will be some tweaking required.
After the camera is installed, go ahead and set the acclerometers. Any time the camera is put in the car or moves relative to it's position in the car, it needs to be calibrated. Fire it up on LEVEL ground, select MENU>SETTINGS>ACCEL CAL>SEL to center the ball, then back out using the center button. Make sure the car is on level ground.

Your camera is hung upside down from the back glass, like any install without a harness bar or roll bar. The "backwards" ball IS a bug that will be addressed soon. Sorry. Not an issue when the camera is right side up.

Cannot recommend more highly Boot Camp running W7 (or later) natively. Been doing that since Intel Macs were introduced in 2006.

When connected to CAN, the 991 will send actual gear number info. To reset the calculated gear required to be used with OBD-II, follow these directions: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ce_108_eng.pdf

Nice install with the low-profile OBD-II cable!

Thanks for the kind words!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-21-2015 | 02:15 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice on the low profile obd2 cable, which one exactly did you get?
Old 06-22-2015 | 04:25 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Nice on the low profile obd2 cable, which one exactly did you get?
This one works well.
Amazon.com: Low Profile Right/Left Angle OBD 2 II Extension with Flat Ribbon Cable 3'/1m: Automotive Amazon.com: Low Profile Right/Left Angle OBD 2 II Extension with Flat Ribbon Cable 3'/1m: Automotive

I also like to point it down rather than up so it's tidier.
Old 06-23-2015 | 12:44 AM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
This one works well. Amazon.com: Low Profile Right/Left Angle OBD 2 II Extension with Flat Ribbon Cable 3'/1m: Automotive

I also like to point it down rather than up so it's tidier.
Thank you, just ordered.

Quick Reply: AIM Solo in a 991 GT3 - Forget about the OBDII Cable Connection